Springs, shocks and all things between your chassis and diffs
derrilex
Part of the furniture

Unread post by derrilex » December 15th, 2009, 8:59 am

ok, KYB scorched 4's $ 90

koni adjustables $ 209 ( lily )

bilstein long travel $ 180

All prices are my trade price

Advice from supplier is to go koni for the adjustable factor ( but pay for it), bilstein for quality and KYB for good honest shock at a throw away price. He said they have been selling shitloads of KYB because of the value for money, with no comebacks and the valving is very well suited to most user requirements. Like he said good honest shock without the flash badge. I know what I'd be buying, given that you can buy a second set aswell and still be infront. Made in japan too. But man the price of the koni's is *******. They are the only brand of shock that I have been able to smash to pieces.
While others fade badly then come back when cool, the koni's that Ive used in the past have had valving failures and leaked all over the place.

80?
Avid Poster

Unread post by 80? » December 15th, 2009, 3:48 pm

As I suspected. got Ironmans for my old hilux at trade price years ago and all but 1 ***** themselves (used to get the old girl airborne from time to time though). You do get what you pay for. i'm not going in blind to that. thanks everyone for your input. No comments on lovells coils?
Vote 1 shooters and fishers.

derrilex
Part of the furniture

Unread post by derrilex » December 15th, 2009, 4:23 pm

Never used the lovells 80. Always used king springs, for no particular reason other than price and convenience. BTW Ive got the kyb's on my sportage and they are bloody good. Cost F/all and they look to be very well made. Gave them an absolute thrashing the day after fitment over 30 km of moonscape dirt road up the sunshine coast near rainbow beach. Perfect. Buy them again, you betchya.

REDNECKRACING
Been here a while

Unread post by REDNECKRACING » December 16th, 2009, 3:56 pm

Ive been running the KYBs for about 12 months now with king springs, Ive given them absolute hell off road and their still going strong, havnt had a bad word to say about them yet:thumb:. KYB also recomend to run them with king springs, dont know if the two have any deal with eachother or if their designed for eachother.:confused:

80?
Avid Poster

Unread post by 80? » December 17th, 2009, 12:31 pm

love the user name. i reckon i have seen you around cranny. i can get the lovells for cost+ gst so I will probably go with them after xmas.
Vote 1 shooters and fishers.

PajeroNM-Junior
I'm new, be nice!

Anyone using KYB Scorched4s Shocks?

Unread post by PajeroNM-Junior » November 4th, 2014, 10:05 am

Looking at an Ebay deal for $895 on a set of KYB Scorched4s shocks and some king springs to lift my NM Pajero 2 inches, anyone had success with these shocks?
2000 Pajero NM 3.5L V6 Petrol

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Re: KYB Skorched shocks

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » March 13th, 2015, 3:25 pm

I'm digging up an old thread because I think it's worthy. Regarding budget suspension, excluding rubbish choices. Times have changed over the years and mid-range stuff is now improved, sitting up there with the mid-high-end gear. I had a '96' Falcon I used to tow with. Ran KYB shocks up front, and Monroe Sensa Tracs in the rear from new. Those Monroe HD shocks performed as they advertized, and I wasn't let down, though had rear shocks let go in a different car years ago, so that made me a bit weary of cheap stuff. With that said, I wouldn't put all my faith in a Monroe 4wd shock absorber too far from home, and reports are on the web their Gas-Magnum TDT for 4wd are of how rigid they are. So I have to replace the stock shocks in my 2000 Prado. Decided to get standard hight Dobbinsons coils for the front, and KYB Skorched 4's all around. Since their release, they habe been dubbed as best bang for buck, and maintain a quality standard that has seemingly maintained a good reputation. Most people go for other mid-range suspension, and don't give thought to these, or if they even need anything higher-end. These do still hold up well. Koni and Bilstien are very good now, and have been for a long time, though will empty a weeks wage from your wallet. I'm surprised these haven't taken off for those looking for a practical, reliable, and affordable solution compared to other brands in the same price bracket. Why not consider KYB - Skorched 4's next time, if that's all you need, without concerns of failures from cheapies. $320 for my two front struts, rears of course cheaper, from SCA. I have Bilstein in my Hilux, but the Prado will only be subjected to rough country roads, Frazer Island, and some light off-roading.

Shakes.

Yappa
Avid Poster

Re: Anyone using KYB Scorched4s Shocks?

Unread post by Yappa » August 29th, 2015, 3:25 pm

PajeroNM Junior, Dunno about the shocks but King springs are good & I had excellent results with Kings on my last Hilux.
Their customer service was second to none as well.

Dunk
Here and there

Re: Anyone using KYB Scorched Shocks?

Unread post by Dunk » July 8th, 2018, 9:38 pm

There are a few people on the Pajero forum who use Skorched4 shocks, they have had no issues with them sorta like buying a truck - go buy a Kenworth or buy Sterling; both do the same job, same everything except for cab and bonnet, yet Sterling is cheaper! Bigger is not always better. However, l'm in the same boat, but looking at Dobinson or EFS, yet if on a budget l would go KYB Skorched4

Return to “Suspension”