Got any info on a 2002 Hilux lift??

Springs, shocks and all things between your chassis and diffs
hoythunter
Getting to know the place

Got any info on a 2002 Hilux lift??

Unread post by hoythunter » July 30th, 2013, 1:48 pm

Gday guys

Just wondering if I could get some info on lifting my 2002 ln167r hilux, I'm pretty new to doing stuff to 4wds so any info would be great?

feass
Getting to know the place

Re: Got any info on a 2002 Hilux lift??

Unread post by feass » July 30th, 2013, 8:18 pm

Well,

Depends on what you are doing? What things have you added to the vehicle, what things do you intending on adding to the vehicle etc.. You will need leaf springs, shackles and bushes to suit (std height shackles but greasable) rubber bushes are better but they usually come with poly ones.. you will need lifted shocks to suit on each corner and also need torsion bars to suit the raise.

I would suggest EFS, Tough dog or believe it or not, TJM XGS Gold (I am bias as i used to work for the company and know how they make them and who makes them.

A poor man buys twice, big lesson. If you dont have around 1500+ in cash, then wait until you do.

All the best :)

Dan

spongie
Here and there

Unread post by spongie » August 1st, 2013, 7:59 pm

Rancho 5000 shocks from 4wd1 efs 2inch springs and greaseable shackles rubber bushes from superior all I got for 1150. Then 300 for 2 inch blocks from Zordo (they wudent have been anymore). Plus the steering extension from superior for the body lift was I think 120---150 can't rember. That setup went well and went into 2 single cabs of the same model. Very happy.

This was bought 2 years ago prices mite have changed but this setup was very good oh with heavy duty springs
Cheers sponge
Last edited by spongie on August 1st, 2013, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
105 lift muddies snorkel dual batts draws light bar spotties rear lights and a bit more.TOYOTA TOUGH.

spongie
Here and there

Unread post by spongie » August 1st, 2013, 8:14 pm

And no torsion bars standard ones are fine unless u have a heavy arse steel bar and winch. Just wind them up but not ova your 40mm to chew your cvs out and your set.
105 lift muddies snorkel dual batts draws light bar spotties rear lights and a bit more.TOYOTA TOUGH.

Shadz
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Shadz » September 9th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Hey mate,

I have a 2002 KZN165 that came with cheap Repco shocks and the factory torsion bars wound up to the bump stops to fit 33s. The ride is way too harsh for it being a daily driver for me and the mrs. I have been doing a fair bit of research on this and I have basically settled on an EFS set up including (as the other guys suggested) new 150kg constant-load leafs (the only weight I carry in the back is a load of camping gear), extended EFS Elite shocks all round, greasable shackles (not extended), new torsion bars (I have a steel bar and will be fitting a winch in the near future), steering damper and U-Bolts/bushes etc.

I have gotten onto a guy in Perth who has given me a really good price on the above kit (<$1,100).

From what I have read and discussed with a few suspension shops, you need a further body lift to run 33s, as you can't get any more than 40mm height from a suspension lift on an IFS Lux without placing your CVs etc at risk.

I am also get some decent scrub on the control arms on full lock as the current wheels are zero offset. Will need to change those to -22.

So in the end, don't do it the cheap way. Save up and do it properly

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 9th, 2013, 2:00 pm

Hey Shadz, your ride will be a whole lot LESS harsh if you wind the torsion bars down & away from the bump stops by at least 1/3 of the total travel available! That's probably contributing a whole lot to why you are finding the ride harsh - the cheap shocks won't be helping, but they also won't be doing any drooping at all!! At least part of the reason for the harsh ride will be that you have NO down travel up front, so every bump or dip in the road is going to be a solid hit you feel inside, and it will be making your steering a tad flighty as well as hammering your CV's!!

You've got to leave movement room between the arms and the bump stops when adjusting torsion bars, and you really need to leave at least 1/3 of the travel in either direction or you run into this sort of issue - and no, trimming the bump stops doesn't really help much, all that does is mean that you are more likely to hit metal on metal sooner and pay the penalty in damage eventually! So when you get the new gear, don't wind the torsion bars up so high or you'll STILL have the same problem, if not worse cos you will be running torsion bars intended to hold more weight higher!!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

gqjay
Part of the furniture

Unread post by gqjay » September 9th, 2013, 8:55 pm

Monters Ride do a Replacement Bump stop Which I have heard have made a big difference on the ride.

might be worth a Call if there is something for your model. Not much on there website, but they are used on A Forum Members 4x4 who is happy

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » September 9th, 2013, 9:51 pm

gqjay
Do you mean Monster Rides by any chance?

Since bump stops only come into play at the end of travel it shouldn't alter the ride quality with different or even same bump rubbers.

Bump stops only affect the feel of the crash when bottoming.

gqjay
Part of the furniture

Unread post by gqjay » September 10th, 2013, 8:03 am

Yes monster rides.

"With the progressive rate of compression offered by these SuperBumps, they will help remove a lot the sudden jolts and hard knocks out of your suspension with the gradual compression taking a lot of the harshness out of sharp bumps (Upward suspension travel) and corrugations on the road."

Have joined a hilux forum, you may get some good help there as well.

Shadz
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Shadz » September 10th, 2013, 11:48 pm

Peter Aawen wrote:Hey Shadz, your ride will be a whole lot LESS harsh if you wind the torsion bars down & away from the bump stops by at least 1/3 of the total travel available...
Thanks for the tips Pete, I was going to have a play with the torsion bars before I went and made the investment on the new setup. It will be interesting to see how much I can wind them down without the front end adopting a nose-dive look. I will have a crack this weekend and see how much the ride improves.

FuzzyM
Been here a while

Unread post by FuzzyM » September 11th, 2013, 8:42 am

Bear in mind that a suspension lift doesn't really help you fit tyres, it only stops the tyres from rubbing when your level, when you flex a bit off road the tyres will still hit because you haven't really changed anything.
1998 Dual Cab Hilux 2.7

snout
Been here a while

Unread post by snout » September 21st, 2013, 10:08 am

When i bought my current lux (kzn165r) it came with totally shagged front shockies & brand new cheapo rear shocks. It rode terrible. Did a bit of research & found that tough tog kits seem to get a really good rap, as do EFS, and for old man emu there were about as many positive posts as there were negative. Didnt bother with other brands. Old man emu were also the most expensive when getting quotes so i ruled them out, EFS seemed to be a good combination of quality/competitive pricing and seemed to get a good rap & i ended up getting the full 2" kit including torsion bars (as i have a steel bull bar & brush bars & checkerplate steel side steps, so a bit of weight up front), elite shocks, steering damper & greasable shackles. It has made an awesome difference to how the truck rides and handles. 12 months on the kit hasnt sagged at all from what i can notice, even the missus reckons it's heaps better over bumps, pot holes etc. the full kit cost around $1500 installed from what i can remember. I get a little groan/squeak from somewhere on full rear flex, but thats seriously the only nit-picking i can do on the kit so far. If i had my time again i'd get the same EFS kit or the tough dog, just from what i've read.

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Snouty

snout
Been here a while

Unread post by snout » September 21st, 2013, 10:15 am

Oh yeah & as the ute is mostly only lightly loaded i opted for the 150kg constant load leaves in the rear.

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » September 24th, 2013, 2:27 pm

The single biggest trick with IFS hiluxes is.....don't get carried away.

It is, what, it is and there are practical limitations....start pushing past those limitations and it will come to bite you.

40mm is considerd the maximum practical lift....go beyond that & the CVs chop out and the front bounces off the top bump stops like a bastard.

31x10.5s or similar seem to be the maximum practical tyre size, they go on with little or no drama, speedo stays more or less accurate and the existing engine & gearing don't seem to have any problem pushing them...fuel consumption does not seem to suffer and neither does low range performance

Go bigger and you start running into issues like fouling the body work, reduced turning circles and issue with power and gearing.
Because its IFS you are legally very limited with increases in track, so fiddling with rim offsets is not going to help your tyres fouling much.....

as far as the front tortion bars, the consensus is the factory standard ones are just fine as long as they aren't buggered....time after time we hear of people fitting aftermarket tortion bars....finding them a PITA ( literally) and putting standard ones back.

Shockies.....hiluxes 2wd or 4wd depend heavily on shockies....they ride like a dray with out good shockies....spend money on shockies or spend it at the dentist and the chiropractor.

Weight...keep it light.....lots of the advantages of hiluxes are due to them being light...they need a little weight in the back but keep it down.
If you keep the load down they ride well and you can be over a tonne lighter than ya mates in their heavier vehicles...that can count for a hell of a lot on the soft stuff and at the fuel bouser.

Yes I have one and it remains more or less standard....for the time being.
One weekend I drove with a bloke with one similar model.
I had recently fitted the EFS shocks in the front and the ranchos in the back.....he'd done similar with the EFS all round.
I'd go the EFS all round, because the gas shockies offer better stability and better controll all round.

He had a 40mm lift....he had fitted aftermarket tortion bars....pulled em out after a fortnight.
He had fitted larger tyres, found varuous niggly problems..went back to 31's and was much happier with it.

Yeh he did have some advantge over me, with a little more clearance but nothing spactacular.

Both our vehicles had obvious clearance advantages over some of the station waggon 4wds, because the body on a hilux sits over the chassis and the springs are over the axles....most station waggons are neither as a result, unmodified drag the asses and their sills....and don't have the approach and departure angles.

Oh body lifts... serioulsy I don't get it....the body already sits very high on the chassis and presents no issue with approach angle, departure angle or sill clearance... it does not help ramp over one bit ( which is a problem with hiluxes).....so the only reason you want a body lift is to fit big tyres....we have alread established that that is not all that clever and there are other clearance issues apart from the body anyway.
Ya body lift is increasing you centre of gravity, some people clam that that is an issue with hilxes because they are already high and narrow compared to other vehicles.

People go on about steel bullbars and winches making the front sag.....sorry I have both and don't see it.

IFS hiluxes are a great thing...they are a good light weight low cost tourer and more than a fair 4wd...and very good on the highway....but they will never be any sort of world beating off road supertruck......so don't try and make it so.....

If you try to push them past their functional limit, they cease to be what they are and they become nothing but medocre at everything.

Hit the sweet spot with these things and they are a great truck cheap to buy and cheap to run.....don't get carried away and you'll be paying less for fuel and less for parts & accessories than many of ya mates and going most of the places they do.

cheers

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » September 24th, 2013, 6:05 pm

whizzo
If I was an 4wd aftermarket saleman I wouldn't agree with that cos it would conflict with nearly everything I try and sell.

Return to “Suspension”