Dmax Suspension Lift, Which One

Springs, shocks and all things between your chassis and diffs
evaredy
Been here a while

Dmax Suspension Lift, Which One

Unread post by evaredy » March 25th, 2013, 4:18 pm

I know nothing about suspension lift, what's good, what's bad. I have searched and read posts but when you know nothing about mechanics, it's hard to grasp what's what.

I have a 2012 Dmax LSU and will be having an ARB bull bar fitted, I haven't decided if I'll get a which or not, but I have a canopy and the usual stuff in the back, space case, tools battery and fridge etc and it will be loaded up when camping, I will also be towing a camper trailer 1500kg on some very long trips and eventually the big lap.

There are lots of different brands/parts and I just don't have a clue :mad: Which brand stands out from the crowd, obviously it will need to handle weight but also corrugations/rough roads etc and be comfortable to drive. It will also have to have a good warranty, the last thing I want is for something to go wrong and then find they won't fix it.

I would like to know what to look out for when getting this done, is everything included when buying a full suspension upgrade or are there extra things I need to get?

I would really appreciate some help/info

mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: Dmax Suspension Lift, Which One

Unread post by mydmax » March 25th, 2013, 9:08 pm

evaredy
I'm not the person to advise on which kits etc because I do things different to most, however, who ever you choose after advice from other who have fitted these suspension systems, make sure you retain your old rear springs and shocks and both front strut and spring assemblies.

When you go travelling you would then take a front spring and shocker/strut assembly and a rear shock and possibly, perhaps, maybe a rear main leaf too.
Then you have a spare/s if one of the new items fail for some reason and you or someone else can fit these and keep you travelling so you are not held up and the holiday ruined.

The best warranty available is no good way outback, maybe within a week or so it might turn up.
With the spares, yes it is extra to carry but you aren't held up.
Most people carry at least one front and one rear shock.

Cheers
mydmax

evaredy
Been here a while

Unread post by evaredy » March 26th, 2013, 7:47 am

Thanks for the tip, as always good advice :)

evaredy
Been here a while

Unread post by evaredy » March 27th, 2013, 8:52 am

No one else with any info on what they have used and how it has performed?

I have been do a little more reading and from what I can gather, OME and Tough Dog aren't all that good? I have also seen that quite a few people reckon Koni shocks are the way to go. But what about the other components like, springs leaves and anything else that is needed?
I also assume I would be much better off getting suspension company to do it, the question is which one in Perth?

bluesboy
Here and there

Unread post by bluesboy » March 27th, 2013, 9:31 am

Hi Evaredy.....Isuzu motorsports will have a suspension kit for the new dmax in the near future.....it might be worth the wait............cheers

BergDonk
Here and there

Unread post by BergDonk » March 27th, 2013, 11:04 am

I'm going through a similar quandary with my new BT50. So many choices, but feedback and claims are hard to sort. I have had a terrific run with Bilsteins in my old Courier so new ones go in the BT50 next week. In the Courier, limited to no fade, about 15 mm lift with the shocks alone due to the high pressures they run. Which also flogged out the front top mounts which I caught, and beefed up with no issues since. They did about 150,000 and still seemed fine. I don't like too much lift as it can compromise other things like geometry, droop and CoG. The weight of my ARB steel bar stuffed up the stock suspension on the BT50, so as well as the shocks, I'm going to try + 30 mm springs up front and air bags up back with the Bilsteins and stock springs. This will all largely replicate what i had on my Courier which was successful for me. Dunno if this helps or not?
Last edited by BergDonk on March 27th, 2013, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subscriptions don't work for me, so I'm unlikely to reply quickly, sorry.
Shed Time is Quality Time
My BT50 - viewtopic.php?f=187&t=141977

evaredy
Been here a while

Unread post by evaredy » March 27th, 2013, 12:57 pm

@bluesboy,
I saw those that they have on the site, but no very little about them.

BergDonk,
It's a bloody pain in the butt, trying to figure all of this out. Everyone seems to have done a lift of some description, but there isn't much info on how they have performed over time.
Any suspension upgrade will be great at first, but how will it fair after a 100,000k's is another question. I don't have bucket loads of money and need to get this right the first time, but all this information is really starting to do my head in and because I know very little about mechanics, it just makes it worse.

There are quite a few things I need to get done and have been trying to research, electrical work for my aux battery I have in the tray, the suspension, bull bar, long range tank, spotties, electric brake controller and the list goes on. I also want to try and find a decent mechanic in Perth, because I really don't want to take it a dealer again.

I am hoping others will chime in with some information on what they installed and how it is going.

BergDonk
Here and there

Unread post by BergDonk » March 27th, 2013, 1:18 pm

What is good about dealing with my local suspension guy, who is an ARB agent, but not wedded to them, is that he has said if I don't like the springs, he'll swap them for something else.

In my research, I found this site http://climaxsuspension.com.au/

They seem to have lots of choice at different price points. Although I didn't talk to them, might be worth a call as they might have less biased suggestions than others might, dunno.
Subscriptions don't work for me, so I'm unlikely to reply quickly, sorry.
Shed Time is Quality Time
My BT50 - viewtopic.php?f=187&t=141977

evaredy
Been here a while

Unread post by evaredy » March 27th, 2013, 4:19 pm

Thanks, I will take a look.

crawla
Part of the furniture

Unread post by crawla » April 13th, 2013, 12:23 pm

G'day evaredy, just my 2 cents here mate, if I were to look at doing the suspension on the dmax I would go the rockcrawler springs and Rancho adjustable shocks.

I organised a trip to Cape York in 2002. There were 7 vehicles in the convoy........2x80 series/GU/Hilux/pajero/MU patrol and my shorty. The corrugations were that bad I thought the steel dash in my shorty 40 was going to fall out. Over the weigh bridge before departure I was just as heavy as my fathers loaded hilux. As you probably know a lot of weight in a shorty sits on the rear suspension including the driver/passenger so the springs/shocks were working just as hard as the other vehicles if not harder. The two 80 series and MU were running aftermarket suspension including myself. I was running Rancho 9000s in the shock department. Before we got back to Sydney every vehicles shocks failed except on my shorty, every vehicle. Every single battery also died including mine. Travellers that didn't even want to go via the telegraph were doing so just to get off the developmental road. We must have been the last through before the graders!!

We lived in NW WA for 5 years and did 1000km of the CSR in 2006 before too many problems struck a hilux that finished the trip (poor installation of aftermarket accessories by a 4wd dealer). On that trip I had a different shorty that was seriously set up for long distance touring, we had a 100 series Kakadu at the time but the wife said 'in your dreams, take the shorty'!!! :). In the rear I was running Rockcrawler springs with firestone airbags that were being kept under cotrol with the same Ranchos I pulled off my old shorty. For the CSR I was way overloaded when we left Halls Creek at the beginning of our trip. 1000km later when we finished up the rancho shocks were still screaming for more. Mate I could not kill these shocks!!! They were the same ones I used on both shorties. The shocks between the 2 shorties went round Australia (literally).

The good thing with the Ranchos is depending on the load and terrain you can adjust to suit. On the CSR this was priceless. We hit a section of track that seemed to go forever on the north of the CSR that had the shorty rolling like a ship on the high sees. A quick adjustment had her soaking up everything with no swaying and no sea sickness:)

I would seriously check em out as an option to controlling your springs, especially your rear leaf springs when loaded. They come with a 3yr unlimited km warranty. They were still on my second shorty when I sold it. I had them for 10 years.

Regarding leaf springs I would run the rock crawlers personally. I also ran these on the shorty. Our family has done some serious 4wding in our 2010 DMAX with the stock suspension. I really wanted to take the suspension to its limits to see how it handled the weekend warrior stuff.......Abercrombie/Deua NP/Hill End and more. For a stocker I wouldn't change it for these trips but if I were doing Cape York or desert travel I would definitely upgrade without a doubt.

Good luck mate in your search. Will post a few pics up if I find any of the shorty and DMAX 'out and about'.
I put a couple of links up if you were interested in checking them out. Cheers, Chris.

http://www.4wd1.com/rancho-rs9000xl-shock-absorbers.htm
http://www.4wd1.com/D-Max.htm#load
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

evaredy
Been here a while

Unread post by evaredy » April 13th, 2013, 11:19 pm

Thanks Crawla, for taking the time to post what you have, It's appreciated.

I will certainly have a look at them, It seems like everything has to be done, but I just can't start anything because I don't know what I want. But I really have to try and nail it, because we are going away for 2 weeks in June and I want it all done before then.

And I thought the wife was indecisive.

894runa
Avid Poster

Unread post by 894runa » April 18th, 2013, 7:13 pm

Yeah it's not easy as I'm doing a similar thing looking to upgrade my suspension. It really is too hard to determine what's good based on people's reviews because everyone uses their car differently. In general it seems to be as follows:

Ironman: generally cheapest of the lot, plenty have said it is all crap gear. But then I have read some who have had no problems.
EFS, toughdog, TJM, blue max: middle of the road, haven't read much bad about EFS, have read a few bad things about toughdog. TJM: shocks are good, bushes bad.
OME, rock crawler rancho: seem to be dearest of the lot, haven't read many bad reviews though about rockcrawler rancho.
Koni bilstein shocks: top end prices

Then to complicate things, you read different branded stuff is actually made out of the same factory, just to slightly different specs for each brand.

For me I will prob go EFS as there's a local supplier but really I could prob go ironman too.

I think if I was you I would look at the higher end stuff as it sounds like over the next few years you will be giving it heaps with touring and heavy loads whereas me, it will be short traffic trips to day care kindy & work during the week and then the occasional bush bash on a Sunday .

evaredy
Been here a while

Unread post by evaredy » April 19th, 2013, 11:30 am

Well after doing a bit more looking and thinking, I have decided to go with OME and ARB will do the install.

I know it may not be the cheapest option, but the reasoning for this is, because they are a very well known brand, they have done a lot of research and development. It is also because I know nothing about mechanics and I want to have the peace of mind knowing that if anything does go wrong I shouldn't have any dramas with warranty.
I will be getting ARB to fit the new bull bar, LED spotties, Rhino Pioneer Tray to the cab and a Rhino XTray to the canopy.

The lift will only be 30mm, but as long as it handles the loads and drives well I am happy.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply, it is appreciated.

trip01
Here and there

Unread post by trip01 » April 5th, 2017, 6:12 am

My experience with TJM xgs 4000 series 30mm lift...
Fitted by TJM & 3 year warranty.
Capacity - front +80kg, rear +300kg
Front measured +4.5 & +5.0mm. Rear +2.1 & +2.8. (Drivers side tool box). Bullbar, winch & hard top canopy and extras already on prior to lift so I expect there would have been some sagging.
Front coils I understand are King springs, shocks read made in Thailand, leaf springs read made in Malaysia.
Am thinking the rear springs need a little more beefing up.:cool:
Kind Rgds
Dave
Isuzu D-Max 2012, SX Space cab chas, auto, u/floor sound proofing, trip batts, ext fuel filler hose, munji, catchcan, couplertech rust, h/top canopy, under tray boxes, 63ltr water tank, pump, 265 70 17, 30mm lift.

Return to “Suspension”