Anyone else having issues - colorado with ironman springs?

Springs, shocks and all things between your chassis and diffs
sudso
Need to get out more

Re: Anyone else having issues - colorado with ironman spring

Unread post by sudso » April 4th, 2012, 2:10 am

Jbs1980 wrote:Hey guys finally worked out the fault the diff locators were out by 20mm, springs are being replaced by ironman. Thanks for everyones help n advise
A diff locator on the rear suspension of a Colorado :confused: Thought only front leaf sprung 4wds had them on the front hmmm oh well.
Is it possible you didnt line up the centre bolt through the leaves with the holes in the u bolt plates and castor wedges when you installed them? Hence making the diff point downwards?
I love terra firma - the less firma the more terra

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » April 4th, 2012, 6:48 pm

G'day Jbs1980
If the diff locators , usually called the "head of the centre bolt" goes into the hole in the centre of the diff spring pads. You cannot get it wrong, unless the springs are/were not the correct ones.
The dmax and the collie both have springs which have the centre bolt dead in the middle of the spring length and around 1140 centre to centre of the spring eyes.

Sounds like they are doing the job to fix it cos they supplied you with items which were not the correct gear.
Are they also covering your costs?
If the springs initially provided were made with the centre bolt hole 20mm further rearward than the vehicle design uses, then the tailshaft at sometime during the fitting and travelling over bumps where the axle droops to full extension, this may have caused the centre bearing flex unit to be stretched rearward far more than it should. Look for damage in the rubber around the centre bearing. If it has been pulled too far one way then it will require replacement because it won't last if damaged.
This is a rubber bellows ring bonded into a steel housing and bonded to the inner ring which contains the centre bearing. It may be showing signs of delaminating the bond from the inner or the outer .
Have a real good look at this. If it is damaged then they gotta do that too.
Hopefully all is OK.

mydmax

Deeenmax
Been here a while

Unread post by Deeenmax » September 22nd, 2012, 12:14 pm

I've got the same vibration problem after fitting my Tough Dog leafs. The pinion is facing up slightly to the centre bearing though. My question is what is the correct pinion angle for 60mm lift? Anyone know what I should be aiming for? Obviously slightly more than the 4 degrees as standard...
Dmax Build up...

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » September 22nd, 2012, 4:21 pm

G'day Deeenmax
If the rear uni doesn't appear to be twisted too much and the pinion is facing upward a bit then probably ok there. But, the uni at the back of the centre bearing will be operating too much and causing vibes and takeoff shudder. When a diff is angle corrected it only restores/ reduces some of the increased angle caused by the lift. The two rear unis are operating at differing angles and that too causes a rotational/torsional vibe as the d/shaft rotates. The centre bearing needs to be dropped to fix that. I can help there.
I sent an email but it might be in your junk folder as Microsoft does that so look in there.

mydmax

sudso
Need to get out more

Unread post by sudso » December 8th, 2012, 12:44 am

After all that the cars design is still the main problem. Some 4wd's are simply not suited for lifting anymore.
I love terra firma - the less firma the more terra

skronkman
Getting to know the place

Unread post by skronkman » February 20th, 2016, 9:25 am

Hi all, I'm a new member, I have only just purchased a new (used) 2008 dual cab diesel Colorado and have been reading the forum for a few weeks trying to figure out some of the idiosyncrasies of the car. Great site, it has been a big help already, so thanks. I hope it's OK that I am revving an older thread with my introduction and relevant query.

I too have installed a new set of rear leaf springs that are supposed to increase load carrying (for towing my 2 tonne boat) and give 2" of lift over standard (to make me look cool). I also instantly got the take off shudders and after not receiving very good help from the supplier (who simply said, they don't usually do that) I turned to this forum for a few hints. Now it must be said here that I did sort of notice a take off shudder with the original springs but I just blamed the clutch or my bad driving (owned an auto for the last 10 years) but it definitely got worse after the lift.

My diff pinion was slightly angled down after the spring install and the angles definitely looked on the wonk. I purchased 3 degree wedges and it lifted the pinion up above horizontal slightly. The shudders were noticeably less but not gone. I'm not totally convinced that I don't also have a clutch shudder issue as the pressure plate seems weak and only picks up enough to take off in 2H when very near the top of the peddle travel. This has possibly created hot spots on the fly wheel.

I read here a lot about dropping the centre bearing to fix this issue and have had a good look at mine under the car and it seems in good condition. I'm not sure I could make my own bracket to mount the CB upside down as I don't have a welder but I'm sure I could find someone to engineer one for me at a cost.

So, here I am for your thoughtful insights on my options and order of operations. I see my options as:

1. Add more wedges (this would raise the diff pinion even more above horizontal.
2. Replace the CB with a new one. (Just maybe, mine is knackered)
3. Replace the clutch with a new HD and have the flywheel machined. (Gunna have to be done sometime anyhow but rather pricey operation I'd rather leave till I get some slipping when fully engaged)
4. Do the CB drop. Here I would like to politely request that anyone else who has done this may be able to provide pointers/photos of how they achieved it. I know mydmax has done this and have read many of his posts and gained much knowledge already, thank you. Anyone who has made or fitted one that would be kind enough to help out a fellow shudderer I would be very grateful to.

Thanks again for the forum, it has been a great help already and I look forward to being able to provide some help in return one day.

Cheers,
Mick

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 20th, 2016, 9:37 am

I'd definitely be looking at checking it's OK & then doing the CB drop before doing anything else strongman.... More wedges is probably not a great idea, & there's every likelihood that if you fit a new HD clutch without doing the CB drop you'll still have issues!! Do the easy things first. :thumb:

Maybe drop mydmax a PM for details, he's usually willing to help. ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Suspension”