Tough Dog Foam Cell Shocks - any opinions?

Springs, shocks and all things between your chassis and diffs
trouthunttriton
Here and there

Tough Dog Foam Cell Shocks - any opinions?

Unread post by trouthunttriton » September 19th, 2011, 9:55 pm

hi all just wonderin how the tough dogs are for those that have them i read they were no. 1 in the latest review
lookin to replace my old man emu nitrochargers theyve done 100k and with a few trips planned including the cape next year i think its time for renew
thanks

zracingsnail
Here and there

Re: tough dog shocks foam cell any opinions

Unread post by zracingsnail » October 4th, 2011, 1:26 pm

g'day mate,
friend of mine put a set round his troopy and is loving them. i reckon he's done atleast 10k on them, he uses it as a work vehicle and always has stuff on the roof racks so it's top heavy and he's had no problems. he reckoned it firmed it up a bit too much, a little over shocked but he had just come back from a 25000km trip round NW aus on origional shocks so i reckon even a wet sponge would have firmed it up!!
i haven't heard anything bad about them and i'm concidering going that way for my truck, just have to do some more homework.

good luck with it

Aussie_Dan
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Aussie_Dan » October 4th, 2011, 3:03 pm

I put a set of Tough Dog Foam Cells into my NP Paj just before Xmas last year. Within a matter of days I had knocking noises coming from the front struts (Primarily the drivers side) whilst they were cold. It would only happen first thing in the morning after the car was sitting overnight and would quieten down over the first 1km or so of driving. I had the whole front end of my car checked out, no problems with bushes, bearings or strut / spring installation were found. I also replaced my front swaybar bushes just in case they were the cause.
Toughdog wanted me to remove the struts from my car (in Adelaide) and send them to Sydney for warranty repair. Leave my car up on blocks???? No way!
I bought a set of Bilsteins and had them installed. The knocking noises have not been back since. My retailer was very helpful in helping me resolve this issue. I sent the Tough Dogs back (at my expense) and after a few months I received a full refund on the Tough Dog gear.
Based on my experience, I would not recommend them. The Bilsteins were not much more expensive and I was left kicking myself that I did not go for the Bilsteins first time around.
Essentially I had to wear the cost of shock / strut installation and wheel alignment twice, return shipping and a lot of stuffing around.
I am around $300 out of pocket and the whole experience of dealing with this issue was very stressful. Not worth it!
I highly recommend the Bilsteins.
Alternatively, lots of other people rave about TJM XGS and ARB / OME suspension. The advantage of these 2 is that no matter where you are in the country, you will have easy access to service & warranty support. Definately something to consider!
Dan.
2004 NP DiD GLX Pajero. ARB Bullbar, Airtec Snorkel, GME UHF, Dual Batt system, Bushskinz Sliders, & underbody guards, Lovells raised HD springs & Bilstein shocks & a Cavalier camper!

bravoboy300
Part of the furniture

Unread post by bravoboy300 » October 4th, 2011, 7:06 pm

i put a toughdog suspension set up on my ute about 800klms ago, foam cells on the front. They are slightly firmer that what i had (they were stuffed though) and i cant fault them. Feels very good on road, have only been on a few high speed dirt roads since and they were great. Yet to do some low range stuff with them....

Flanno8
Here and there

Unread post by Flanno8 » October 4th, 2011, 7:56 pm

iv got the tough dog adjustables in the rear of my lux and they have a much broader range of pressures then the ranchos. Personally i havent had a problem with them and have had them for a year or so.

Craig 04gu
Been here a while

Unread post by Craig 04gu » October 4th, 2011, 9:08 pm

Aussie Dan the noise you heard was the shock its self working, which is normal.

Have had them on my GUIV for about 20k and can't fault them. work well and give a great ride. At this stage I'll be getting them again

Aussie_Dan
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Aussie_Dan » October 4th, 2011, 9:22 pm

Craig 04gu wrote:Aussie Dan the noise you heard was the shock its self working, which is normal.
Unsure about that Craig. I should have also mentioned that as this knocking was occurring, you could feel it through the steering and the floor of the car. Something was not right.
But after that initial drive, once the noises stopped, I was satisfied with the way the car rode and handled.
Just disappointed and due to the knocking noises I did not trust those struts in the front of my car, hence they are now gone. Last thing I would want is for the noises to get worse and have something fail whist I was out in the middle of nowhere..... A rear shock would not be such a drama, but a strut is an extremely important suspension component and very difficult to repair or replace on the road-side.
This is my experience and opinion only, I'm sure there are many happy Tough Dog users out there.... Perhaps I was just unlucky?
Dan.
2004 NP DiD GLX Pajero. ARB Bullbar, Airtec Snorkel, GME UHF, Dual Batt system, Bushskinz Sliders, & underbody guards, Lovells raised HD springs & Bilstein shocks & a Cavalier camper!

Craig 04gu
Been here a while

Unread post by Craig 04gu » October 4th, 2011, 9:37 pm

Fair enough Dan. Wrong struts for your car maybe who knows?

Bryceabs
Been here a while

Unread post by Bryceabs » October 17th, 2011, 9:25 am

They are a lot more solid on road compared to my old shocks but are 10x's better off road. If you've got a ute and don't carry big loads then i would recommend the adjustables for the rear.

trouthunttriton
Here and there

Unread post by trouthunttriton » October 22nd, 2011, 7:10 am

thanks fellas ive been thinkin ill get adj for the rear thanks for the feed back

RichoBT
I'm new, be nice!

Tough Dog Foam Cell Shocks

Unread post by RichoBT » May 7th, 2014, 5:09 pm

Hi All,

First time here so it has probably already been asked but all I have seen are old posts. I am looking at replacing my shocks on my BT and was looking at tough dog. have read good and bad but look for some recent experience from anyone who has used them lately. Are they worth the money :crazy:

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Tough Dog Foam Cell Shocks - any opinions?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 7th, 2014, 5:32 pm

Just cos they are 'old' opinions doesn't mean they still aren't good opinions tho! And using an existing thread means we don't end up with a dozen threads on the same thing.... keeps the knowledge/experience current and readily available to anyone searching... ;)

We run them (& TD springs/struts too) under our Pathfinder & are still pretty impressed with them - they handle high speed corrugations pretty well, resist fading well, still handle the big bumps fine, stand up to the odd heavily loaded trip, and they make the ride & handling feel much better than stock on the black top & in the rough stuff; and they've worked & lasted a whole lot better than the OME we had on before! You could do a lot worse than run Tough Dogs, and probably even at a significantly greater cost too!! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

RichoBT
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by RichoBT » May 7th, 2014, 5:37 pm

Not sure if I am looking at it right but I have also put a ARB bull bar and winch, will also be looking at the torsion bars at the same time. thanks for the reply

Not for highway use
Here and there

Unread post by Not for highway use » April 30th, 2016, 5:51 am

Also looking at getting full kit (dampener, 50mm springs and shocks) for my 80 series. Any opinions or comments?
Wannabe hasbeen

Return to “Suspension”