Fishing big river during closed trout season

Where are they biting? How big was the one you caught?
Chewbac
I'm new, be nice!

Fishing big river during closed trout season

Unread post by Chewbac » August 23rd, 2014, 9:59 am

Probably a stupid question but I am a bit confused..
Going camping in upper big river out of marysville next weekend which will still be during closed trout season.
Is it still possible to fish big river if targeting other species? Also is it possible to catch trout as long as they are released?
Cheers

Dunxy
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Fishing big river during closed trout season

Unread post by Dunxy » August 28th, 2014, 6:39 pm

Hope you haven't left yet!

Playing with fire!

Comes down to the discretion of the officer weather you are targeting trout or not.You can fish trout waters in closed season proving you are plainly targeting another species.

Upper big river (iv'e fished a fair bit of it myself) is not likely to contain any other viable hook and line captures, what do you think is there? There is Cod,Carp and other species in the lower reaches, but the upper parts i have fished are purely trout waters.

There may be blackfish there, I only lure fish for trout so a by-catch of blackfish on lures would be very very rare indeed, so possibly they would be there.Water is too shallow,cold and fast in the upper reaches for pretty much everything else but trout and smaller native baitfish like Galaxxids,smelt etc.

ANY fisheries officer that sees you casting small lures around the upper reaches will ping you.

Some info for you
"Big River, Enoch Point
Flows in a steep, narrow, forested valley into Lake Eildon. Substrate is mostly granite bedrock, with boulders and rubble and some gravel and sand banks in some pools. It has shallow pools (less than 100 cm) and cascades and rapids in the upper reaches. Downstream of Enoch's Point, it becomes a large river (average width 10 m) with pools more than 100 cm deep and with a considerable number of snags present. It has excellent habitat for trout and provides good fishing. Accessible via Enoch Point Road and by forestry tracks with 4WD in dry weather. There is a camping ground at Enoch Point."
from http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/fishing-and- ... waters#big

Upstream of enochs (which is downstream of marysville if my geography is correct?) is indeed trout only waters, id avoid it during closed season!

4wd Hobbit
Been here a while

Unread post by 4wd Hobbit » August 28th, 2014, 7:58 pm

I find it amazing that there are restrictions and open and closed seasons for a feral fish that should not be in our waterways - no different to carp really.

Hobbit

Dunxy
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Dunxy » August 29th, 2014, 11:52 am

4wd Hobbit wrote:I find it amazing that there are restrictions and open and closed seasons for a feral fish that should not be in our waterways - no different to carp really.

Hobbit
Couldn't agree more!

Whats worse is while they protect the spawning ferals as well as throwing much money away stocking them, many vulnerable native fish get absolutely smashed on spawning runs, like yellowbelly congregating below weirs at certain times of the year, as well as Bass and other natives.

Pisses me of majorly!

4wd Hobbit
Been here a while

Unread post by 4wd Hobbit » August 29th, 2014, 12:25 pm

Trout wipe out many native species in areas where they proliferate.

By way of example in NZ the NZ Greyling went extinct due the introduction of trout and here in Australia, the Aussie Greyling is considered vulnerable due to the usual environmental issues but primarily due to predation by trout.

If trout were rabbits, foxes, cats etc we would be hammering them but for some unknown reason trout seem to be placed on a pedestal. They are feral, they should be removed from the river system, breeding farms closed and treat them like carp - open season, no bag limits, must be kept if caught - no throw backs.

We have enough native species to satisfy most anglers if they were managed sustainably - particularly if the same effort in managing trout was put into managing native sport species.

Dunxy
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Dunxy » August 30th, 2014, 8:35 am

4wd Hobbit wrote: If trout were rabbits, foxes, cats etc we would be hammering them but for some unknown reason trout seem to be placed on a pedestal.
People have been brainwashed by government bodies, they love stocking trout vs natives because of one thing $$$$$$!

Costs a lot less and takes a lot less time for them to grow a Trout to catch-able size than it does a yella/cod/bass etc.Stupid thing is when they throw them in places(im in Vic, and this is common as muck, not sure other states are as bad???) when they know damn well they wont last the summer its just throwing money away! They are also damn easy to catch!

I think most adamant Salmonid lovers would quickly change their tune if they hooked onto a Aussie Bass! 200gmBass>2kg Trout! Thankfully we are starting to see a lot more stockings of both Bass and Estuary Perch down here in vic now, in a few years its going to be great!Shame it took this long!

Not defending the ferals here,but they aren't the only reason a lot of our natives have been wiped out,our constant modification of waterways plays a big part too,like putting in impassable barriers that stop migration of fish like Grayling,Galaxiids,Bass,Estuary Perch and even Eels breaking their life cycle.Then you have the cold water pollution from dams letting out water from the bottom.

Unfortunately we have changed some systems so much that they wont support native fish anymore, these are the waterways that the Trout to$$ers can have.Leave the self sustaining pops in places that cant support natives and stop propping up the stocks that cant self sustain and put the money into natives I say!

On the same note don't get me started about Redfin! They get put on a pedestal as well! I often see certain "fishing journalists" (i use that term very loosely!) publicly advocate the practice of catch and release with Redfin and it just makes my blood boil! EVIL EVIL FISH, these people wouldn't release Carp! Redfin are every bit as bad as Carp, maybe even worse!

Sorry for the big rant, something im very passionate about, sorry to the op for the semi-hijack as well!

Return to “Fishing With Your 4WD”