What's the go for Straddie Fishing? Any info/advice?

Where are they biting? How big was the one you caught?
ashkoby
I'm new, be nice!

What's the go for Straddie Fishing? Any info/advice?

Unread post by ashkoby » July 2nd, 2014, 8:00 pm

hello everyone

im heading to straddie this weekend 4-6th and plan on doing some fishing but never been over there before or done beach fishing. im camping at flinder's but been told main beach is where the fish are.

if someone can steer me in the right direction of type of reel,rood,setup,area,bait and location

i have a shimano sienna 2500 and shimano sonic 2-4kg combo at the moment for estuary and river. i assume this isnt big enough for beach fishing, im looking at these two setup's i don't want to spend to much cause im not good at it haha

http://www.downundercamping.com.au/fish ... combo.html

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/prod ... 0305#Cross

if someone can help me out that would be much appreciated
never underestimate the mighty 2.8 patrol
2" lift, 285/75/16 Kumho KL71 & 4" stainless snorkel

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Re: What's the go for Straddie Fishing? Any info/advice?

Unread post by jsroberts8 » July 7th, 2014, 11:11 pm

Hey mate, its too late obviously but main beach has some great beach fishing. I like to head as far south as possible to the pin, but there are great gutters all the way along the beach. Let us know how it went!

ashkoby
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by ashkoby » July 8th, 2014, 7:30 pm

Well just got back from my first ever time over at straddie and well what an amazing place, now im excited for moreton and fraser even more.

we decided to stay at flinders beach and pretty much had a whole camp area to ourselves which was perfect and driving on the sand for the first time was well interesting to say the least, i expected to get bogged and try my maxxtracs but unfortunately i didnt :( even when i tried.

we did the gorge walk and got to see the whales going past and the dog loved every bit of it, finally got to drive all of main beach which was an amazing sight, at one point i couldn't see a car either side of me and found the key holes after some searching and that was good fun, deepest water i've been in and the misses said i didnt stop smiling all weekend.

fishing was terrible but i think that was more me not the fishes fault but to just sit on the beach and admire the sunset was a perfect way to end every night.

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » July 8th, 2014, 9:10 pm

Glad you enjoyed it. I really like straddy - much cheaper than Morton and not as crowded as Fraser. Plus, the convenience of a good town and cafes always keeps the women happy :) The keyholes are deceptively deep - i have had my bonnet completely under through those small holes. I'm glad you had your own camp. If you ever find flinders too busy, there is always plenty of room down main beach. The further you drive, the more room you have. I have been on Easter weekend and still had plenty of room to ourselves.

ashkoby
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by ashkoby » July 9th, 2014, 6:18 pm

yeah i think next time we go we will stay on main, i mainly stayed on flinders so the girl had a toilet but she was brave enough to fashion up a seat for the bush so kinda proud but also means we can camp in more remote areas now haha.

yeah there was only 1 or 2 that actually came onto the bonnet, i passed a family in a prado 120, no snorkel, no lift and road tyres i told them i wouldnt do it and how deep the water was and im in a GU 2" lift and 33's but they still did it. hopefully they got through safely.

apart from the barge fee thats really the only expensive part. im defiantly keen for moreton and fraser i'll properly get a group because i've never been there so would be handy to have a guide.

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » July 12th, 2014, 6:08 pm

The benefit to straddy over morton is the barge fee.
last time i went to morton (could be different now) it was $150 for 2 people and $50 extra for each person. Straddy was $140 for as many as i could fit. At the time I had 5 people so it was much cheaper, but if it is just the two of you, morton is great to try. We are so lucky in S.E Qld, so many great Beach driving locations within weekend range!

ashkoby
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by ashkoby » July 15th, 2014, 9:26 pm

yeah it was $143 to straddie which is the only expensive part unless you buy fuel over there haha. im keen to try out morning in a few weeks and yeah just me and the girl so wont be much more

morgs22
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by morgs22 » July 15th, 2014, 10:24 pm

Hi guy love straddie too been going there about 18 years flinders is my favorite camp . Amity you can get big tuna off the jetty at the fright time of year gt.'s off the rocks small snaper too shag rock is a good spot for big snapper too I got out there in my kayak not that hard once you past the waves mac and tuna there to. When the tayler ar on fishermen shoulder to shoulder all the way down flinders and must not forget some amazing 4wding all kinds of tracks all over it when they open the tracks up the gates are getting more and more each year but I geuss thats why its still amazing place

Return to “Fishing With Your 4WD”