Stockton Beach is fishing well

Where are they biting? How big was the one you caught?
stevezammit
Been here a while

Stockton Beach is fishing well

Unread post by stevezammit » February 20th, 2013, 6:52 pm

Headed onto Stocko on Saturday and the tailor were on the job. We fished the falling tide south of the Sygna and hooked probably 60-80 fish on both bait and lure. They were feeding on whitebait but were happy to take 75mm chrome and blue metal and small pilchard baits.
The gutters are mostly very wide and the fish seem intent on staying out near the outer sandbank on most of the beach so low tides coinciding with dawn and dusk are the pick of the fishing times. I was having particular success along the edge of a rip and was getting hit every retrieve for about an hour.
At the very lowest of the tide we moved north up the beach to the narrowest gutter and the fish were in the wash right behind the sandbank using the suds for cover. Just after dark I tossed out a fresh squid and I'm pretty sure I had a Jew pick the bait up but dropped it quickly so with the wind not dying down like previous nights we packed up and headed home with the 10 fish we kept all around 2 1/2 to 3lb.
So get out there kids its all happening at the moment.

RODEODAVE
Been here a while

Re: Stockton Beach is fishing well

Unread post by RODEODAVE » February 23rd, 2013, 4:40 pm

GOOD STUFF!!! love a good session on the tailor they always please the angler with a good fight... :D :D
Did you camp on the beach??

stevezammit
Been here a while

Re: Stockton Beach is fishing well

Unread post by stevezammit » February 26th, 2013, 9:51 am

No mate camping is still a big no no, I was also told that 15 or so families were fined for camping over the Australia Day weekend some of which have been camping that weekend for 20 or more years. It's got me beat why the entire beach is closed to camping and the mate I had with me hasn't been on the beach for 5 years and reckons the area from Lavis Lane south looks no different to the last trip for him.

Return to “Fishing With Your 4WD”