Fishing outboard motor advice - what's this oil?

Where are they biting? How big was the one you caught?
m6sports
Been here a while

Fishing outboard motor advice - what's this oil?

Unread post by m6sports » December 20th, 2012, 2:39 pm

Just a quick one for the boaties, I've got a small 2 stroke 30hp tohatsu outboard that's got a small leak behind the prop. It seams like its excess oil not being burnt but though that the great minds on here would be able to confirm this

It's black oil just in front of the gearbox drain plug

My camper trailer build
viewtopic.php?f=134&t=125437

nilla60

Re: Fishing outboard motor advice - what's this oil?

Unread post by nilla60 » December 22nd, 2012, 8:10 am

Drop the leg off and check the input shaft seal. Should do that now and then to replace the water pump impeller anyway. If you haven't replaced the gearbox oil, replace that too and check to see if you have any water in the gearbox.

I vaguely recall seeing a motor collect excess 2st oil in the leg like that, but it seems a lot.

That hole is in a weird place. Not where I'd expect to see a drain hole for the leg. But I'm not familiar with Tohatsu.

Geeps08
Been here a while

Unread post by Geeps08 » December 25th, 2012, 3:02 pm

being 2 stroke there isnt any where holding oil apart from the gearbox. the colour of that oil looks typical gearbox oil also. id say the box has a leak. not that un common. is the oil coming out of that hole or is it just running back from the prop.
See my face book page . Custom Canopies.

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » December 30th, 2012, 9:43 pm

#1......does the oils smell of amonia...if so gearbox oil
#2......is the oil fairly thick and greasy...if so gearbox oil
#3....does the oil tend to break down on contact with water....if not..its not TCW3 two stroke...probably gearbox oil

:ooh: Its probably gearbox oil.

Its normal to change the seals arround the beraings in the bottom of the leg when doing a service..may be not every time...but regularly.

Buy the service manual it will give you step by step on doing a service...not rocket science or hard to do.

cheers

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » January 3rd, 2013, 9:03 am

whizzo wrote: Its normal to change the seals arround the beraings in the bottom of the leg when doing a service..may be not every time...but regularly.

Buy the service manual it will give you step by step on doing a service...not rocket science or hard to do.
On old Mercury motors (red band, blue band) the output side is a bugger to open and not worth doing unless there is a problem. There's an alloy retaining plate that threads in and continues to be available as a spare as it usually needs to be cut to get it loose. Fishing line is the most common killer of seals, so have a look that. Input side is very easy and just under the pump body (friction fit with an o-ring). Your motor is probably not a whole lot different.

m6sports
Been here a while

Unread post by m6sports » March 5th, 2013, 8:26 am

I ended up getting it serviced and its left over 2stroke oil dripping back from the prop
My camper trailer build
viewtopic.php?f=134&t=125437

Return to “Fishing With Your 4WD”