Mounting an outboard on your truck...Now with pics.

Where are they biting? How big was the one you caught?
mudjunkie
Avid Poster

Mounting an outboard on your truck...Now with pics.

Unread post by mudjunkie » October 31st, 2012, 6:01 pm

Hey all. Looking at getting a car topper and wondering what's the best way to carry the motor. Will be getting a 15 hp Yamaha and would like to mount it on the rear of the Cruiser. Any one got any ideas or pics ?
Last edited by mudjunkie on January 4th, 2013, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Re: Mounting an outboard on your truck...

Unread post by chris_stoffa » October 31st, 2012, 6:09 pm

03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 31st, 2012, 6:34 pm

Hey Chris, if I remember rightly that one didn't work too well, the Lux couldn't get up on the plane! You might need something a bit bigger with a power Tilt & Trim to do that! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more

Unread post by chris_stoffa » October 31st, 2012, 6:47 pm

Something like this......although shoehorning it into the back of the cruiser might be a stretch
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 31st, 2012, 6:55 pm

:thumb:

Altho a lottle closer to the topic.... Mudj, I've seen a few vehicles with replacement rear bars carrying a single spare instead of two, leaving the second arm to carry a plate that the outboard mounts onto just like it mounts onto the transom of the tinny. You got a Spare Wheel Carrier back there?
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » October 31st, 2012, 9:58 pm

Or if you have a V8 'cruiser see if Marks are doing a stern drive adapter yet:
(Yanmar's 8LV being a marine spec Tojo v8)

mudjunkie
Avid Poster

Unread post by mudjunkie » November 1st, 2012, 2:58 pm

:lol: :lol: ... Very good...
Yea Pete I was thinking along those lines. Looking for any photos of how they actually perform though. I'm thinking a 15 hp might be a bit too big...

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 1st, 2012, 3:18 pm

Could be... Does the motor you are considering have a built in fuel tank or is it separate? When we were carrying the boat on the roof rack, our little outboard (with a built in tank) sat in a home made bracket fixed to the roof rack that held it horizontally; it was easily light enough to put up and take down, the transom mount screws held it up the motor end along with a strap & screw arrangement up the prop end, and it had a bit of shock absorption in the padding it sat in and the mount itself. The inverted boat went on over the top of it so it wasn't all that easily removed or even accessed by any light fingered types. It did a lot of off road & corrugated kms without any hassles, except that we did need to empty the fuel tank before putting it up there and fill it again once it came down before use. And of course, once we upsized the boat & converted its trailer to an off road trailer it fitted on the boat transom along side the big motor & basically it stayed there all the time (had a safety chain fitted tho, so it couldn't fall off or be helped off!) :D

All ideas that might help I guess, but I still prefer the idea of a biiig marinised V8 in the tub of a ute with a stern drive unit... :frog:

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » November 30th, 2012, 10:40 pm

All too hard, chris_stoffa!!

Heavily modded motor and PTO to stern drive is all ya need (and a good snorkel).

Geeps08
Been here a while

Unread post by Geeps08 » December 25th, 2012, 3:19 pm

i think the rear swing out holder is about your best bet. weight wise the 15 wouldnt be to bad would it. i had an old school 15 evi long shaft and remember having to clench my ring when carrying it. i have a 8 yam short now and that wouldnt be any heavier than a 31 on a steel rim. i think the biggest thing is supporting it enough against bounce and vibration. i would tie it back so it doesnt bounce on its hinge and wrap it up against dust etc. i think the plate mount with extended drop down support with a u shape cradle to tie the leg back into would be best for long trips. i wrapped mine up in a blanket on a recent fraser trip and tied it down to the back seat floor with the seat folded up.
See my face book page . Custom Canopies.

mudjunkie
Avid Poster

Unread post by mudjunkie » January 3rd, 2013, 8:25 am

Got it sorted. Will post up some pics soon...

mudjunkie
Avid Poster

Unread post by mudjunkie » January 4th, 2013, 3:37 pm

Well here it is....

Took a little bit of planning but we had it knocked up in a few evenings. Just need to change the pad where it clamps on but it works a treat. Paint was still drying on the way to Moreton... :)

Dree Mon
Avid Poster

Re: Mounting an outboard on your truck...Now with pics.

Unread post by Dree Mon » January 4th, 2013, 4:22 pm

Love it ! very clever ! how was moreton?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 4th, 2013, 4:24 pm

Weeellll, looks good mudjunkie, but it's never gonna drive the vehicle thru the water like that! :eek:

You'd hafta swing it out & lower it a fair bit for it to give you any drive once you are in the water, and I can't see how that mount will do anything successfully but carry the outboard when you're driving? :confused:

Looks pretty good for what it is tho! No bad vibrations back there while you are on the dirt etc? What do you need to do for the mounting pad? I'd use insertion rubber glued onto the 'v' down the foot end to minimise the wear & tear on the motor casing; maybe overkill, but it seemed to work for me. ;)

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more

Unread post by chris_stoffa » January 4th, 2013, 4:26 pm

The cruiser is only gunna go round in circles now with it mounted like that :D

Very neat solution :thumb:
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Return to “Fishing With Your 4WD”