Some advice on lures please

Where are they biting? How big was the one you caught?
TurtleSlow
Been here a while

Some advice on lures please

Unread post by TurtleSlow » September 29th, 2012, 2:39 pm

Hello fishermen,

I'm a mug at fishing and usually just tie a sinker to the end of the line and lob it in as an excuse to drink beer, but I have decided to actually try and catch a fish.

Can you give me some advice on a few fresh and salt water lures/plastics/etc so I can get a bit of an all-rounder tackle box together for those times when going fishing is the only answer. I don't need anything flash, just a few bits and bobs to give me some chance of fish for dinner occasionally.

While I'm thining about it, the line could do with replacement, any suggestions?

I just have a medium rod and reel if that makes any difference, about a 7 foot rod with a Pflueger 6940X spinning reel.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Muz

stevezammit
Been here a while

Re: Some advice on lures please

Unread post by stevezammit » October 1st, 2012, 8:43 pm

No easy formula here, you can NEVER have enough lures! If I was to put a sample pack together I'd go with the following:

Freshwater:
Tiny Torpedos (surface lure with a little propeller awesome for bass, perch, anything that will hit a surface lure)
Spinnerbaits (bass, trout, cod, perch, yellowbelly, flathead <<yes saltwater fish Best lure ever made for weed beds)
Celtas (long proved trout lure great in still or slow moving water)
Baltic Minnow (great for trout in impoundments, dams etc)
Rapala Countdown in Rainbow Trout or Brown trout colours (trout, small cod, perch, bass)

Saltwater:
Wonder Wobbler (excellent slow retrieve metal lure for tailor, flathead, bonito, salmon, tuna)
Yozuri squid jig (great squid jig!)
an assortment of chrome lures from 10 gram to 60 gram (match the hatch or size od bait they're eating)
DOA rubber prawns (the best flathead lure I've used around weed beds)
Assortment of soft plastics, vary the size of the rubber and the lead heads.

For me that would cover the spectrum of land based lure casting although some like the celtas are usable on only light line like 2kg, the small 10 gram stuff and small rapala's fish better on light gear too.

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » October 1st, 2012, 10:38 pm

For freshwater trolling (trout) a selection of Tassie Devils are cheap and fairly versatile. Grab a few colours: predominantly red; brown/greens; metallic; yellow. Plain old Celtas are worth a lookin.

Good quality monofilament is cheaper and easier to care for than braid. You don't need to carry itty bitty scissors and learn new knots either. Just get any half decent brand.

TurtleSlow
Been here a while

Unread post by TurtleSlow » October 1st, 2012, 10:50 pm

Thanks guys. Shopping I will go.

Cheers
Muz

lux1991
Avid Poster

Unread post by lux1991 » October 1st, 2012, 11:25 pm

lures are for the weak. jump in and wrestle the little bastards. much more satisfying.

TurtleSlow
Been here a while

Unread post by TurtleSlow » October 2nd, 2012, 9:27 pm

Bugga that! I'm not getting in the water with fish that big!

10571z
Been here a while

Unread post by 10571z » December 12th, 2012, 10:02 pm

A mate of mine went into the local fishing shop (Aussie Angler in Victoria greensborough if thats near you) and just gave the bloke behind the counter $100 and asked for him to set him a a basic tackle box with lures,spinners ect. Doing it bulk like that the guy gave him a pretty good deal it seemed.

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » December 12th, 2012, 10:21 pm

An old bloke once told me Lures catch more fishermen than they catch fish............. I def think in my case that is true.

Muckinhell
Need to get out more

Unread post by Muckinhell » December 13th, 2012, 5:10 pm

take a look at the Z-man range i just finished tafe with some youg fellas right into there fishing and all reckon they were the beez kneez, even you tube zman lures theres this one you fella actually from round fraser coast where i live gets right into fresh and salt water with em.

Endrew
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Endrew » January 9th, 2013, 3:30 pm

Thread revive...

Anyway lately Ive been using surface lures, not so much poppers but similar. Work a treat on salmon. But for barra I've been using xraps they seem to work well in my experience in Rockhampton (so they bloody should for 25 bucks a pop). Wouldnt be able to tell you the names of them though.

Return to “Fishing With Your 4WD”