Things found washed up on a beach

Where are they biting? How big was the one you caught?
straddietriton
Getting to know the place

Things found washed up on a beach

Unread post by straddietriton » August 22nd, 2012, 8:16 pm

6 days on North Stradbroke. Friday 10th to Wednesday 15th.
Friday was great. Saturday reasonable. Sunday and Monday, strong wind warning and high seas.
Tuesday and Wednesday were perfect with the tailor wanting to play.

This is looking south from camp 13 to the Pin. Sunday arvo with 2 and half hours before full tide.

Not a lot of beach left.
Sunday morning we went for a drive from the camp down to the Pin. Tried to fish but even around the corner the wind and swell were against us.
There were 2 RESCUE cats going back and forth, halfway out the bar and back again.
We thought they were having a play, training exercise, in the rough conditions.
After 40 minutes or so of getting blown sideways and wet crotches we decided to head back to camp.
Just around the second corner we came upon this.

No one about. We couldn't see anyone in the surf. Then we saw the thick rope and loop tied around the motor leg. Maybe the rescue cats weren't playing.
A strap over the hull and we had it back the right way up.
A couple of rods in the side holders and a set of car keys still in the side pocket.
Hit the trim button on the side of the 40hp etec and up came the motor.
A young bloke with us in his lifted and locked patrol then dragged it as far up the beach as he could get it.

While all this was going on, I was on the phone. The only one with reasonable reception.
Thank you Telstra.

The closest VMR number I had was Cleveland. The bloke took all the details and said he would get back to me.
2 minutes later I get a call from Jacobs Well Water police. Details again and he advised to get it as high up the beach as we could. Which we did.

No more than 10 minutes later I get another call from Jacobs well police.
Would I like to speak to the owner?
What happened....

Him and another bloke were drifting around on the electric, well inside the bar, when they both ended up in the water. He didn't say if the boat had flipped or they were thrown out. They were rescued but it looks like the boat could not be properly taken under tow, upside down, in the conditions. It had drifted too far into the bar. The owner said he had arranged for a recovery from Point Lookout when he was told the boat had been found.

On Monday we did a beer, ice, bread, prawn run to the top end of the island.
On the way back we passed one of the commercial guys towing the boat north on a too big trailer.
Hope he was the recovery unit.

So if you are reading this Blake, you and mate are lucky people and I hope you got the boat back.

We also saw this on Monday.
Apparently it had been buried on Thursday but the worms, err, high seas had dug it back up.
Jeez it stunk.

Rod

Aussie_Dan
Part of the furniture

Re: Things found washed up on a beach

Unread post by Aussie_Dan » August 22nd, 2012, 8:37 pm

Sounds like you had an adventure filled trip!
Glad to hear that it sounds like the boat has been returned to its rightful owner.
Good on you for reporting it to the authorities. Not everybody has sound morals like that....
Cheers, Dan.

muzza01
Part of the furniture

Unread post by muzza01 » September 11th, 2012, 9:16 am

Good on you StraddieTriton. Great story; great result. :drink:
105 Series Turbo Diesel Cruza, 3 inch mandrel Taipan exhaust, BFG Km2's, 12K lb winch. 3 inch lift. Steel rear bar and twin wheel carriers. Dual Batteries with monitor, Brush bars, side steps, Roof Rack, Cargo barrier, UHF.

http://www.4wdaction.com.au

skettie
Here and there

Unread post by skettie » April 15th, 2013, 5:56 pm

Found this washed up on Fraser a few years ago, hooked a tow rope onto her but the Ranger didnt quite have enough power to get her home haha :truck:
20091102_42.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 PJ XLT Ranger
ARB Sahara Bar + TMax 10000lb winch
Rhino Racks with Ironman Side Awning
Wheels and tyres-Standard (for now)
Suspension-Standard (for now)
Snorkel-(Not yet)

TroopiePete
Need to get out more

Unread post by TroopiePete » April 15th, 2013, 9:14 pm

Now see if you had a Toyota it would be high and dry :lol:
Peter Richens - VK4FSD
HF Radio club - 4115
River City 4WD Club - President 2010 - 2014 http://www.rivercity4wdclub.net

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » April 15th, 2013, 10:12 pm

Not exactly washed up on the beach, but . .. They found a ww2 bomb on stockton beach today. that would have give the old 4by a lift if someone had run over it!!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-15/b ... re/4629568

Cornbeef
Need to get out more

Unread post by Cornbeef » April 17th, 2013, 9:25 pm

skettie

What a Cracker , the name is very appropriate . :lol:

Happy TRax Cornbeef

Nagz
Been here a while

Unread post by Nagz » December 27th, 2013, 11:02 am

We found this yacht on the western side of fraser a few months back.
I suspect it was a QLD floods victim, might has broken its mooring and floated away and got caught on the beach.
Id say it would cost to much to recover, it was a concrete yacht so you might need a sizable crane

MY mate climbed up the mast
Whilst i tried my luck at digging her out
Made some progress

Ben found a bottle of wine

Was a good find, kept us occupied for a while.

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » December 27th, 2013, 2:03 pm

I found a dead piglett at burns beach once,looked the one off that movie babe.

Saw a 105 series cruiser in broome when the tide went out,someone
won't be happy.Bogged past the sills and completely underwater.
They where new when this happened.

No pics though...

Nagz
Been here a while

Unread post by Nagz » December 27th, 2013, 2:21 pm

Gotta remember to take some pics mate, worth a thousand words

GBC
Part of the furniture

Unread post by GBC » December 29th, 2013, 11:32 am

Nags, the mast and rigging was all gone from her in October when I saw it last. The hull is now exposed as is the coffee rock she landed on. The westerlies scoured out around it. Strong smell of diesel too.

turtl3tim
Here and there

Unread post by turtl3tim » May 21st, 2014, 12:33 am

Similar one to Goldylux, recently did a cruise through Fiji, New Caledonia and Vanuatu. walking down the beach in vanuatu with the missus and stumbled across half a pig :huh: :fish: , looked like it was half way through being prepared for packaging. split right down the middle from tip to tail. head was missing also, twas a very clean cut. funny story- is that the night previous on the ship they had a whole roast piglet for the roast of the night in the buffet section, but the missus refused to go near it, despite pork being her favorite meat, just because its head was still firmly attached. she wasnt too keen on the headless one either for some reason...no pleasing some people :rolleyes:
92' 4runner, 3.0Loser manual. Custom DIYPVC snorkel. ISR mod. Hurricane headers with 2.5" exhaust, stainless 200cpsi cat and turbo muffler. TJM bullbar with hella spotties, LED indicators. 2" body lift. 15x10's 0 offset chromies, 31x10.5 a/t's. FlameThrower injectors, 7mge vafm upgrade with modified cressida airbox for snorkel, 7mge coil upgrade. Plugs gapped to 7mge specs (1.1mm). Eagle 7mm spark leads. Aftermarket a-pillar oil pressure and water temp gauges, rear Aussie Lokka

Wheeliespin
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Wheeliespin » February 5th, 2015, 11:04 pm

G day all found this about 60kms north of broome went up on Friday morning and it wasent their come back sunday and their it was
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OWAF

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » October 4th, 2015, 7:17 am

hah - Reminds me when living on Westmoore Isl in 2007/8 and a steel shipping channel marker from over Johns Creek way drifted past the island!.

I rang marine safety (Marine & harbors / whatever) & mentioned i could see the huge steel shipping channel marker drifting past the island headed for Madagascar or somewhere!

Dunno probably weighed maybe 10 tonnes!.

So they say - "can you take it in tow for us, cos they cost a bomb to replace"?

Well my boats maybe 2.5 tonnes... and if the weather tides wind turns bad something that heavy could pull the transom out so its not without "risk" to do this... and if it goes wrong - who's going to pony up ~ $150K to replace the boat?

Not these Govt pillocks... they wanted me to tow it 35 Nmiles back to where it came from for them for free! (Then make my own way back to the island another 35nmiles). Did I mention O had to buy all my own fuel and at $2 a liter back then plus haul it out from Karratha and take it over the the island in 1000 liter IBC's?

So after thinking about it for all of about a nano second - I said "get stuffed" and hung up on them...

Bout an hour later I see a commercial 60 foot salvage cat flying past the island out of Pt Sampson at warp speed hunting down the missing shipping channel marker (For the Lambert loading dock).

Spoke with him later - they had to pay him over $20K to get it back!

The thing is - they actually charge me annually a few thousand bucks for "provision of navigational markers"....(and boat ramps and every other bloody thing) and where I was there was not ONE marker or boat ramp within 30 odd miles!.

I am out there navigating in and out of river mouths in all tides on no moon (new moon) nights past reefs islands and banks etc etc with not ONE nav marker...of any sort and worse - no boat ramp either....

Would it have killed them to pay me to go get their marker? I could have towed it maybe a mile tops to one of the moorings in protected water behind the island for them to then send a boat for it easy enough....

They happily paid someone else much more than I'd have charged them when I reported it - If I hadn't reported it they wouldn't even of known they had lost it, until a ore carrier ran aground in the dark!.

I just shake my head at these pillocks some days!.

The wonder why no one wants to help them out!

It's just how govt office workers think....(or don't think).

Return to “Fishing With Your 4WD”