4WD Action - Feature Writers!

Rick
Been here a while

Unread post by Rick » July 15th, 2010, 3:55 pm

Ezookiel wrote:For the sake of quality, the magazine would be vastly better considering spreading its net a little wider and finding the BEST applicant irrespective of location. It isn't hard to get a distant person involved in a meeting via conference calls, and submissions made electronically etc
Without an complete understanding of what is involved in the role, that is a pretty broad statement to make. Trying to undertake this position remotely in a full-time capacity would be damn near impossible, and more importantly, not what we are asking for.

Cheers.
Rick O'Brien
Editor
Extreme 4WD

I live in constant fear of the Hamburgler.

4x999
Been here a while

Unread post by 4x999 » July 16th, 2010, 8:07 pm

Rick wrote:Without an complete understanding of what is involved in the role, that is a pretty broad statement to make. Trying to undertake this position remotely in a full-time capacity would be damn near impossible, and more importantly, not what we are asking for.

Cheers.
I agree. For any role within a business, I think you need the personal touch. You need to be able to attend team meetings, meet the boss on a regular basis, and even go on the piss with your team mates.
Yes, emails and texts/phone calls can be done anywhere, even across the globe, but a meeting face to face is worth a lot more. Why do you think people fly trans-Atlantic business class international for a day's meeting, costing $$$'s?

Think I will be putting in my CV for this one too...

patrol1978
Been here a while

Unread post by patrol1978 » July 18th, 2010, 10:03 pm

Hey Guys
I have sent a letter to email address. I was wondering how long it will take to get a response. It was about 4 weeks ago I applied.
Cheers
simon
2014 Toyota Prado 2 inch lift ARB Winch Bar Dominator 12000lbs Winch Rhino roof rack, ARB Rear Draw set with 40l Engel, PMX Camper and a 4.2m quintrex tinny.

Tracey J

Unread post by Tracey J » July 19th, 2010, 3:16 pm

Hey patrol1978, generally we don't respond until we are requesting interviews

patrol1978
Been here a while

Unread post by patrol1978 » July 19th, 2010, 8:23 pm

No worries,
Cheers
2014 Toyota Prado 2 inch lift ARB Winch Bar Dominator 12000lbs Winch Rhino roof rack, ARB Rear Draw set with 40l Engel, PMX Camper and a 4.2m quintrex tinny.

A.J.
Part of the furniture

Unread post by A.J. » July 19th, 2010, 11:08 pm

That's true unfortunately.

I have applied for several positions about 2-3 times and never received a reply.

A little bit of courtesy would be appreciated sometimes.
What happened to the days where you'd at least receive an email :
"Thanks you for your interest, unfortunately the position has been filled. All the best for your future endeavors."

Seriously, consider it.

By the way, I have a full-time job working for a company based in Melbourne. I am currently NSW manager and when I started to work for my company I was supposed to work as a contractor but I said I will only take the job if they put me on a wage, full time.

In this instance it worked out well.

Sometimes you have to take risks to take advantage of the hiring "best" people for the job.

I'm not having a go, I'm only making suggestions.

Feel free to remove this post should you think it was inappropiate.

All the best to the people that have applied.
My DUAL CAB GU: http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=62796

VooDoo

Unread post by VooDoo » July 19th, 2010, 11:41 pm

Do you guys take freelance submissions? IE a pre-written article complete with high res pic's etc?
100 series on injected Gas, Locked, lifted, loaded with goodies and barred up both ends.
Proudly sponsors ARB, TJM, OL, Rhino, Blackwidow, Inmarsat, Uniden, Allied Wheels, Mickey Thompson, DBA, Lightforce, Maxtrax, Waeco and country pie shops!

Tracey J

Unread post by Tracey J » July 20th, 2010, 7:52 am

VooDoo wrote:Do you guys take freelance submissions? IE a pre-written article complete with high res pic's etc?

Depends on what it is VooDoo, feel free to email me with some details and maybe a couple of the photos so we can get an idea of quality.
tjohns@expresspublications.com.au

ASP_777
Here and there

Unread post by ASP_777 » July 22nd, 2010, 5:26 pm

Tracey J wrote:Hey patrol1978, generally we don't respond until we are requesting interviews

Hi Tracey.
In saying that, what would be the normal response time after an application has been sent? Thanks Steve

fester2au
Been here a while

Unread post by fester2au » July 22nd, 2010, 8:23 pm

I'm sorry but I've been following a few of these job ads on and off recently and if it were me advertising the position, I would have to say I'd pretty much have to exclude about 99% of the people who seem to feel compelled to respond in the forum topic about the job and the fact that they have applied etc etc. Sometimes a little discretion is worth so much more than being noticed in the wrong way. Just because the ad was placed in a forum topic doesn't mean professional processes go out the window. I'm not singling out everyone in this particular topic but rather all the job ads ones of late. Don't mean to offend but rather offer advice. Notice a lack of "text" speak also in my posting.
He who dies with the most toys, still just dies like the rest of us.

brstow
Here and there

Unread post by brstow » July 23rd, 2010, 10:26 am

Tracey J your fine job offers seem to be working us all up, obviously we would all love to be in a position to write for the mags that we all love to read. My wife is always asking me to put them down, I look for things in them to show her (as she has little interest in the mechanics or mods of 4wds) to get her bitten by the 4wding bug.

Great to hear you guys do look at freelance submissions, gees I'd almost be happy to write something up for free just for the experience. As soon as the house is sold and the new fourby arrives I might sling something your way.

P.S. I've won a few photo compitions in the past as well.

Keep up the quality read.

Dans-Lux
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Dans-Lux » July 25th, 2010, 8:49 am

Hello,
Is there an age requirement for these positions on offer?
As I'm 18, completed my HSC last year, been 4wding since I was 13 and working/modifying cars since I was 14.
Am currently an apprentice heavy vehicle and marine mechanic.
My car featured in 4WD Custom Guide Issue 29.
Or is this job for more mature age people? Therefore I shouldn't waste my time applying for it?
Cheers
Dan
'84 4Runner, Ford Blaze Blue, 35's, 2.4TD, 12psi Boost, 2.5" Exhaust, 4" Suspension, 65mm BL, Rancho Adjustables, Power Steering, 4.88s, Front Lockright, Crawler Gears.

NoggA
Here and there

Unread post by NoggA » July 25th, 2010, 8:03 pm

Hi Tracey

I have the same question as Dans-lux. Im 20 yrs old so a little older than dan but i still consider myself to be young, well youngish. I love my 4wd's but would like to know what sort of age you are looking for, if there is a specific age at all.

Thanks

NoggA
[b]KEEP ON KEEPING ON:thumb:[/b]

My GU [url]http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=90592[/url]

woolgoolgaoffroad
Need to get out more

Unread post by woolgoolgaoffroad » July 25th, 2010, 8:07 pm

why dont you do as T suggested and shoot in a resume, we all have the same chance

DGREER62
Avid Poster

Unread post by DGREER62 » August 20th, 2010, 8:21 am

Quick question? I have already done some freelance work for OzBiker Magazine in two editions. Complete stories with pics as well. One was 7 pages and the other 5. I am curious about this position and was wondering if it would be possible to PM me some more details? I will keep any info received under the hood. I currently live on the Sunny Coast with my partner and we are looking for a Sea/Tree change. This sounds like a great opportunity to take a hobby to the career level.

Oh BTW great site here and loads of good folks. Hope to hear more about this exciting position.
Cheers!
Dale

Return to “4WD Action Positions Available”