New joiner from Netherlands

Don't be shy, say g'day in here - tell us a little about yourself, your 4By, & what you've done/dream about doing in it, only do post us a link to your Member's Rides thread too!
Oosy
I'm new, be nice!

New joiner from Netherlands

Unread post by Oosy » July 10th, 2018, 3:57 pm

Hi folks,
My name is Erik and I live in Holland.
Have a wife and 2 kids (3 and 5 years old)

After a camper visit to Australia in 2009 (trip from Brisbane to Darwin), we made 3 safari trips in Botswana, Namibia and South Africa.

As we loved the outdoor camping life with NO amenities at all other than what you bring, we figured: why not do the same in Australia.

This is the main reason for my application to this forum. To absorb and learn as mich there is about the 4wd overlanding in down under. (Rental, route, convoy, do’s/don’ts, difficulty level of routes, supplies etc)

Then again, if people want to know about South Africa, that’s where I can repay with answers instead of questions (having over 30,000km of travel experience in Southern Africa, with and without two small children ranging from 1 to 4 years old)

Looking fwd to getting to know you,

Best regards,
Erik

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: New joiner from Netherlands

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 10th, 2018, 5:49 pm

Welcome to the Forum Erik, there certainly isn't much use for a 4WD in The Netherlands, so those Safari trips into Southern Afriyca will've been a bit of an eye opener!! But we've got country & 4WD'ing to equal & even beat all that, so it's a great plan you have! Besides, here, we don't have quite so many wars or animals that could eat you - some of our animals could kill you, maybe, but not too many will eat you! :sillywink:

We call that 'camping with no amenities' thing Bush Camping here, and while it used to be the way most of us travelled all the time, it is becoming somewhat harder to find those remote & isolated sites that 4Wheelers are still allowed to access, but they are out definitely there, and in a wide range of terrain too, so don't let your early searching disappoint, you just hafta dig a little harder & maybe ask quietly or off the public pages here (PM's can be helpful, but you do hafta watch for the notifications!)

Just about anywhere that gets discussed publicly these days very quickly sees a lot of attention - & not just from the people who care for & appreciate it either!! Not only is it likely to be visited by the tossers who are only out to rip it up & destroy it in the name of their selfish enjoyment, but it can also be visited by those keen on locking everything away 'so future generations can appreciate it' & possibly intellectually know it's out there somewhere, but never get to see it first hand or learn how to visit it & live in it without destroying it! So you need to be a little discrete in telling people exactly where you go.... it's a shame really, but it's what it is & you gotta work with what you've got, and visit if when you can!

Still, lotsa places to go, heaps to see & do, and lotsa helpful & knowledgeable fellow 4Wheelers (even a few others originating from Holland!) here to share info & ideas with, to help you learn & to learn from you, so post away. And if you ever need a hand or some advice on the Forum (or anything 4Wheeling I might be able to help with) don't hesitate to ask! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Oosy
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Oosy » July 17th, 2018, 2:47 am

Hello Peter, thanks for your warm welcome and interesting remarks.
Indeed locking it up for future generations is a concept I also find hard to comprehend. When are those future generations due to actually watch it then, and who is to decide...

Not visiting nature, learns you nothing about treating it with repsect. (E.g Take everything with you that you brought in, even burn your toiletpaper (carefully))

Now:
Since there are many ways to “do” australia, the very first thing I suppose need to do is select a region of your wonderfull country.

The requirements:

- first aid (by air medics) must be available during the full route (since we do not want to run risks with the 2 children 3 and 5)

- no malaria (is there even malaria in Australia)?

- shop and petrol every other day

Any suggestions how to start? I hear a lot about Perth to Darwin?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 17th, 2018, 11:24 am

Perth to Darwin could be a good place to start, altho it does get a little remote & there are vast stretches out there where you are beyond immediate or even fly-in medical help ! If your 'near first aid' thing is critical to you, & that 'petrol & shops' thing essential, then the East Coast is a much better bet & the only way to really meet those restrictikns - and given that even if you travel no more than a couple of hundred kms from the coastline, Adelaide to Cairns via the East coast route is about 4500kms, and there's a helluva lot of interesting & reasonably secluded places to see & camp in that stretch of country!! You can be not much more than 100km away from the major roads or even the City suburbs & still be a solid days 4Wheeling away & also so secluded that the only other way in is by helicopter - in fact, there are many places not too far from the coast where even helicopters can't help!! And it's worth noting that most of Western Aust & Central Aust away from the major routes &/or away from the Station Homesteads or mining sites & similar facilities etc are only accessible by 4WD or Camel!! Planes need landing strips & Helicopters generally don't have a massive range unless there's fuel available at the far end, so the while the Royal Flying Doctor Service does do a fantastic job as & where they can, they just can't reach many of our remotest places!! But there's still a massive amount of fantastic country to see & explore, much of it never seen on the tourist shows! :thumb: So come check it out!! Just do it sooner rather than later, the locked gates are multiplying rapidly! :purplex:

As far as diseases are concerned, we don't have endemic malaria or anything besides than the normal 'childhood diseases' & colds & flu's etc here in Aust, altho occasionally we have little pocket outbreaks of other diseases, including the lesser known mosquito bourne fevers, but they are generally nothing to worry too much about given some basic precautions. Just make sure you know where your drinking water comes from & that it's fit to drink; and protect against mosquito bites. Long mosquito blocking shirt sleeves & trousers also protect against sunburn, which is always a good idea here, & there's lots of lightweight gear that's very good & versatile for doing both! At the risk of suggesting you buy gear that isn't made in Aust, check out the camping clothes from Wolf Camping at https://da.wolfcamper.com - a Danish site, but I'm pretty sure it'll translate! I know that gear first hand & have worn it extensively myself (the Familie par farten introduced me to it when they trekked across Madigan's line - I was their support team leader & I was very impressed in their clothing! Worn that brand ever since!) There again, our Deserts might get hot during the day, but temps frequently do drop below zero at night, and if you travel in the Victorian High Country or the NSW Snowy Mountains, you really need to be prepared for everything!! Weather changes there can be very fast & go from one extreme to the other in a matter of a few hours!! Snow in summer is not unheard of, altho it rarely lasts long on the ground, but it can still be freezing overnight! So make sure you carry warm outer layers too!

And don't let them fool you, your kids can be pretty hardy & will enjoy roughing it a bit!! Your fears & concerns are probably more restrictive than anything that will really be an issue to/for the kids! My wife & I spent most of our 4 kids childhoods with them out on the 4WD tracks; and now they are all grown up, they all do the same with our Grandkids!! Prepare properly, & even the youngest of kids can handle 4Wheeling - all our kids did their first extended 4WD Trip before they were a couple of months old, and they had all done at least one 'month or two long' trip by their first birthdays! Keep them warm, dry, and fed, and the rest pretty much works itself out! Admittedly, at 3 & 5 years old, you will need to keep a pretty close watch on them, and restrict your activities to the shorter, less arduous walks & adventure activities; but your kids will love it & very likely remember their time in the bush for the rest of their lives! Check out some of the archives in that Familie pa farten site, they did much the same as the Missus & me - their kids travelled wherever Mum & Dad went, had heaps of fun, learnt a lot, and loved it all!! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Introductions”