Newb to the off-road scene.

Don't be shy, say g'day in here - tell us a little about yourself, your 4By, & what you've done/dream about doing in it, only do post us a link to your Member's Rides thread too!
Nic_A31
Getting to know the place

Newb to the off-road scene.

Unread post by Nic_A31 » November 19th, 2017, 7:11 pm

Hey guys, long time car enthusiast, new to the 4x4 scene.
Have been mucking around with imports for about 8 years, recently moved from Perth to Canberra region.

I impulse purchased this in Melbourne around May (I think), and just barely made the drive home with it.
Got it for a crazy killer price, mechanically it was close to stock which is how I prefer to start a build.
Been throwing money at it here and there.

I'll throw up a build thread if you guys are keen to see it.

Good to finally be on the forums....been trying to join for ages :lol:

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Newb to the off-road scene.

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 20th, 2017, 9:32 am

We are always keen to see build threads Nic, especially those that are of the 'less frequently modded' vehicles like yours! :thumb: And welcome aboard, sorry it took you so long to get on but there was a while there where the Forum wasn't up for handling much/many things... including new members :rolleyes:

But now the new & upgraded Forum is with us, hopefully that won't be a problem anymore!! The IT wallah who made the upgrade happen has worked VERY hard to resolve all the known issues & we've now got a bigger'n better Forum just ready to serve us well for the next decade!! AND he's hanging around to keep an eye on how it runs, altho he's also looking after a bunch of other EMG sites too, so there might be times when he's got other priorities - but this one is looking pretty robust so far! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » November 20th, 2017, 4:16 pm

had one of these bad boys when i was much younger.
2'' lift on it, long shocks and could dissappear a 31'' muddy right up the back wheel guard.
Got it lots of places people never thought it could go, but careful winding up the torsion bars, i broke the front control arm twice coming out of steep climbs heavy footed due to no travel (rookie mistakes!)

still miss the seats on it, were so comfy!

Nic_A31
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Nic_A31 » November 21st, 2017, 1:02 pm

Peter Aawen wrote:
November 20th, 2017, 9:32 am
We are always keen to see build threads Nic, especially those that are of the 'less frequently modded' vehicles like yours! :thumb: And welcome aboard, sorry it took you so long to get on but there was a while there where the Forum wasn't up for handling much/many things... including new members :rolleyes:
I'll chuck up a build thread :D
cuzza_wa wrote:
November 20th, 2017, 4:16 pm
had one of these bad boys when i was much younger.
2'' lift on it, long shocks and could dissappear a 31'' muddy right up the back wheel guard.
Got it lots of places people never thought it could go, but careful winding up the torsion bars, i broke the front control arm twice coming out of steep climbs heavy footed due to no travel (rookie mistakes!)

still miss the seats on it, were so comfy!
What's the reason for winding up the front torsion bars?
I see a lot of guys doing it, but not really sure why..

The seats are pretty comfy :D

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » November 21st, 2017, 4:36 pm

i think (dont quote me) winding them up is a cheap way for some extra lift, but when you wind them all the way up you essentially take out all the up-travel or spring tension, so they become pretty stiff / bouncy.

Seriously, its one of the comfiest 4x4's i've had the pleasure of sitting in. id die for a set of those seats in the luxy haha

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 21st, 2017, 4:48 pm

Many people think that winding up the torsion bars will give them a suspension lift on their torsion bar IFS vehicles along the lines of bigger coils or flexy leaves.... :cry: There's no denying that it does give them a higher static ride height - it does so by effectively moving the arms closer to one end of their arc of travel & resticting the range of flex/movement remaining available that way (often dangerously so) & yet leaving them most of their suspension travel left the other way.... the 'not helpful' way; but it doesn't increase their total travel at all and it can severely stress the CV's to the extent of destruction if the driver happens to ask them to turn & flex at the same time, or sometimes they just pull right out for the helluvit because their operating angles are waaaay too compromised!!

So while it CAN be a cheap way of gaining a LITTLE lift, you really shouldn't EVER lift a torsion bar IFS front end more than a max of about 40mm - the only real way to achieve a bigger lift is either modding/lengthening the arms &/or changing the pivot points on the chassis end... just about anything else is just gonna be changing the static ride height & moving the arc of suspension travel coser to one set of bump stops or the other (depending upon which design IFS the vehicle has! :o
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Introductions”