New from NZ

Don't be shy, say g'day in here - tell us a little about yourself, your 4By, & what you've done/dream about doing in it, only do post us a link to your Member's Rides thread too!
Scootymad
I'm new, be nice!

New from NZ

Unread post by Scootymad » September 17th, 2018, 6:58 pm

Hey guys, new bloke here from NZ with a properly flogged out old PA2 Challenger. The missus bought it dirt cheap for a tow wagon and semi-offroader for when she goes down to horse events for her photography. Me I want to actually fix it up and take it offroading. Well in between that and my Lexus burnout car anyway....

2000 PA2 Challenger, green on gold
Stock wheels with 31x10.5 Catchfors Lanvigator A/Ts. Yeah I've never heard of them either but admittedly they aren't half bad.
Mods: bugger all aside from some Ford Mondeo horns scavenged out of my junk pile, a 240v inverter and a red top Optima.
Suspension: stock as a rock flogged out gear
Drivetrain: 4M40T with a horrendously worn out diesel pump (front seal is wallered right out and leaks down over 2-3 hours, and it is really not east to start from cold), transmission is equally wallered out, if not worse, flares into 3rd and 4th, lockup converter is nonexistent, can feel it slip under load, I have roasted it (the trans) twice dragging a loaded horse float up the Brynderwyns, but still it keeps on going against all odds and my lack of mechanical sympathy. Amazingly however, it doesn't suffer from (well, all that much) from the typical PA series dicky front diff vacuum solenoid. Engages 4H and 4L just fine, and the LSD actually works! So there is hope that it might just off road alright....

Future mods: replace the diesel pump and injectors, replace the trans (its proper shagged), new turbo (probably a TD04, I have seen a TD05 fitted to one and it was a bit of a beast, although I do have a pair of VR4 Legnum TD03s sitting here for one half of a compound turbo setup) ARB front bar and winch, light bar for the missus, fix the spare tyre carrier, find a leather interior, fix the remaining rust and GIVE IT A BLEEDIN' REPAINT, cause there's bugger all paint left on it

cbd
Here and there

Re: New from NZ

Unread post by cbd » September 17th, 2018, 8:16 pm

G'day
Great write up... I've got a clear mental picture and it's not pretty!
Well we all live in hope. You've got a hot start. A current Rego and engages 4 wheel drive ...got to be happy with that. Go Bro

ravofireman
Need to get out more

Unread post by ravofireman » September 17th, 2018, 9:22 pm

Welcome Scootymad,

Its great to have new faces here, Great write up also mate, Will be looking forward to seeing pictures of the beast.

Cheers
********* Wheeling Down Under ************
2010 GU Patrol, 2inch lift. zd30

1998 GU patrol rd28 stock as a rock

Scootymad
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Scootymad » September 18th, 2018, 3:24 pm

cbd wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 8:16 pm
G'day
Great write up... I've got a clear mental picture and it's not pretty!
Well we all live in hope. You've got a hot start. A current Rego and engages 4 wheel drive ...got to be happy with that. Go Bro
No it most certainly is not. Took me 20 minutes to get it running this afternoon.

I can't seem to add pictures through the attachments tab. keeps coming up with HTTP Error and that's all

Return to “Introductions”