Ford Couriers??? Your Opinion

Got a ute-specific tech question? Ask it here
chillipepperz
Been here a while

Unread post by chillipepperz » January 19th, 2010, 7:41 am

Sounds like a good buy Kleggy. Go for it and enjoy it for what it is- a very capable vehicle!

You can fit 32" tyres without major modifications I believe (I have only read this- but looking at mine I can believe this). You would only need to wind up the torsion bars a bit.

Some good information on this site.

Cheers!
2006 Ford Courier Super Cab 2.5TD, ARB Canopy, ARB Bullbar, ARB Rear Bar, Narva Ultima 225's, Uni Filter, Custom Roof Console, Uniden UHF, Waeco Fridge, Window Tint, Rear Drawers, 31" Geolandars

Courierman
Avid Poster

Unread post by Courierman » January 19th, 2010, 8:21 am

Kleggy sounds like a good buy with bugger all kms on it. You can fit 32 inch tyres on it if you want which is good for clearence. I use to have them on mine when i went for a trip thru central australia and they preformed well but when i got into town they were a bit big with the wife needing to drive the car on occassion.
Keeo us updated on the purchase.
Couriers are GREAT, 2001 2.5L turbo, 245/75/16 cooper ST, TWIN LOCKED ARB locker in rear
Front lokka, dual batteries to run 50L Waeco, dual swingaway spare tyres on rear
65L water tank where the spare use to be, much more please ask

Kleggy
Here and there

Unread post by Kleggy » January 19th, 2010, 9:28 am

Thanks guys. Mr Mechanic is taking a look tomorrow morning, if that goes all good get the v-check done (cause I've been stung in the past). If that gies all good, hopefully I'll have it by the weekend.

One thing I noticed when dad and I took it for a test drive, is when changing gears every now and then it was a bit jerking. However I'm used to driving a van where u can drop the clutch, so I pointed this out to the bloke coming o have a look and hopefully it's just my bad gear changes. :p

Also what type of rims do the couriers use. Can I put hilux rims on it, or are they a specific offset?

Regards

kleggy

chillipepperz
Been here a while

Unread post by chillipepperz » January 19th, 2010, 10:13 am

Yeah my wife tends to do crappy gear changes that makes the car jerk a bit...then again she does that in any car! I don't seem to have the problem at all...maybe its in the technique or more mechanically sympathetic?

My rims are the standard 15x7 Alloys. No idea what offset they are, but have heard that they may be the same as a Navara...cant verify that though. Have also read that the rear drums on the later models are larger in diameter than the previous models and not every rim will necessarily clear them.

Whip down to a wreckers or a friendly tyre place and do a few dry fits?
2006 Ford Courier Super Cab 2.5TD, ARB Canopy, ARB Bullbar, ARB Rear Bar, Narva Ultima 225's, Uni Filter, Custom Roof Console, Uniden UHF, Waeco Fridge, Window Tint, Rear Drawers, 31" Geolandars

Kleggy
Here and there

Unread post by Kleggy » January 19th, 2010, 10:28 am

chillipepperz wrote:Yeah my wife tends to do crappy gear changes that makes the car jerk a bit...then again she does that in any car! I don't seem to have the problem at all...maybe its in the technique or more mechanically sympathetic?

My rims are the standard 15x7 Alloys. No idea what offset they are, but have heard that they may be the same as a Navara...cant verify that though. Have also read that the rear drums on the later models are larger in diameter than the previous models and not every rim will necessarily clear them.

Whip down to a wreckers or a friendly tyre place and do a few dry fits?
Yer with the gearbox, if i actually thought about changing the gear it was all good (did it slowly). Yet if i tried not to think about it and just change it, then it jumped alittle. Maybe your right, maybe I just need to get used to it.

Yer if the mechanic says that its all good and i actually get i may need to do a few dry runs before i purchase some.

ranger danger
Here and there

Unread post by ranger danger » January 19th, 2010, 10:35 am

i had to put landcruiser sunnies on my 99 model. The navara ones wouldn't fit because of the rear drums. The sunnies were a bit to wide so i had to fit flares on the front (steel tray on back). Then i got a set of ROH vilans 15x7 and the were hilux wheels and they fit perfectly.
[font=Tahoma][size=100]only had to wait 6months and 3days for my single cab PK ranger![/size][/font]:mad:

Kleggy
Here and there

Unread post by Kleggy » January 19th, 2010, 10:42 am

dusty turbine wrote:i had to put landcruiser sunnies on my 99 model. The navara ones wouldn't fit because of the rear drums. The sunnies were a bit to wide so i had to fit flares on the front (steel tray on back). Then i got a set of ROH vilans 15x7 and the were hilux wheels and they fit perfectly.
Thanks for the info mate, ill keep that in mind. Just curious as to how much are a set of ROH wheels and 31" tyres roughly. Also is there an online store that has rough prices of popular 4x4 wheels & tyres?

ranger danger
Here and there

Unread post by ranger danger » January 19th, 2010, 1:20 pm

got them off good old ebay. I know you can get Maxxis Bighorns for $205 a tyre for 31s, i'm yet to hear anybody complain about them.
[font=Tahoma][size=100]only had to wait 6months and 3days for my single cab PK ranger![/size][/font]:mad:

Kleggy
Here and there

Unread post by Kleggy » January 22nd, 2010, 10:38 pm

Wahoo, got the ute ill post a link to the photos tomorrow. :)

chillipepperz
Been here a while

Unread post by chillipepperz » January 24th, 2010, 2:57 pm

Congratulations on the purchase of the Courier Kleggy! Lookin forward to seein your pics. Now get out there and have fun!

Kleggy
Here and there

Unread post by Kleggy » January 24th, 2010, 5:21 pm

Thanks Guys. Got it 8:30 Friday night, and we left for the GoldCoast Early Saturday mornining for 2 weeks and we are taking mum and dads car :( Means no new car or driving it for 2 weeks. May have to go back home for a day because of work, so ill hopefully be able to post some them. :)

Cya then

axel2009
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by axel2009 » January 29th, 2010, 6:09 pm

I have a 2005 ph courier and it's been great.I bought it as a demo from ford in 2006 and it hasn't let me down.Very capable vehicle in the bush,i reakon.Lot's of people bag 'em,but definatley worth the cash.

Kleggy
Here and there

Unread post by Kleggy » January 29th, 2010, 6:26 pm

axel2009 wrote:I have a 2005 ph courier and it's been great.I bought it as a demo from ford in 2006 and it hasn't let me down.Very capable vehicle in the bush,i reakon.Lot's of people bag 'em,but definatley worth the cash.
Thanks for the re-assurance mate. I can't wait to take it off road give it ago. :) Have u done anything to yours? If so can send us some photos of what yours looks like. Also what size Tyrese does yours have and what's the max size on the tyre placard. It's another week until I get home, and wanna try and get some quotes on the largest legal tyre I can fit.

Thanks

Kleggy
Here and there

Unread post by Kleggy » February 5th, 2010, 10:57 am

Got home from holidays :waycool:, finally get to drive my new car. Got it for 14k

Heres the link for it over at Members Rigs. Let us know what you think. :)

Click Here

ranger2452
Need to get out more

Unread post by ranger2452 » April 3rd, 2010, 7:09 pm

07 ranger 38000kays no problems at all!!
i hit a few trails
i would and will buy another
W.A .......whingers anonymous
Coffs harbour.....4wd capital of the WORLD
Ranger2452 aka rebadgedmazda2452

Return to “Ute-Specific Tech”