Ford Couriers??? Your Opinion

Got a ute-specific tech question? Ask it here
4x4playNT
Part of the furniture

Unread post by 4x4playNT » April 3rd, 2010, 11:42 pm

I own the mazda equivalent and I find that for my needs it is a great 4x4....a little thirsty being a petrol, but I still love it.
Bang for buck, I would say it is exactly the same as a IFS hilux, but with a cheaper price tag.
Only difference between my mates hilux and my rig, is the hilux does have more mods available off the shelf, and the seats are more comfortable on those long drives.....hardly worth the 5-7 grand difference IMO.
MAZTRUCK- 31" Muddies, 2" Suspension lift, 2" Body Lift, Custom Front Bar, UHF, 2" Shackles, Balljoint Spacers, 1" Diff Drop, Dual Batt, Front Lokka, Sliders, Custom Tray, etc

Wombat200
Been here a while

Unread post by Wombat200 » April 13th, 2010, 11:11 pm

I've got a 2000 PE Courier 2600cc petrol, soon to be replaced..... 215,000km, goes as well as the day I bought it, with exactly the same fuel economy, so the engine is in great knick still........ A bit thirsty, but she always has been......!

No Gearbox problems - has towed the occasional heavy load (~2t), but most towing is infrequent & with a box trailer. Has seen regular light-moderate off-raod work.

Still runs standard springs, with shocks replaced at ~100,000km. Has needed a new air-con compressor, and not much elses, after fuel & servicing......

Has been a great reliable car & I would recommend them to anyone. Mine will make a great first 4x4 or good trade workhorse when I let her go.........

84'Lux
Been here a while

Unread post by 84'Lux » June 3rd, 2010, 12:24 am

I didn't have anything against them until I saw what was left of the Iron-man Courier that rolled on Telecom hill @ LCMP Apparently if the oil sensor trips in them the computer will stall the car immedently to save the engine, from what I heard it did this at the wrong time on a step up & rolled back over itself, resulting in it crumpling like a coke can!
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.widebay4x4.com]www.widebay4x4.com[/url][/b][/color]

4x4playNT
Part of the furniture

Unread post by 4x4playNT » June 3rd, 2010, 9:49 am

Maybe in the newer models.

My oil sensor wire came loose, resulting in a light popping up on my dash.
Besides the brown stains left on my seat (thinking I had just lost all oil pressure) the 4x4 otherwise seemed fine.

Took me about 15 minutes to diagnose the problem, after I realised my 4x4 wasnt suddenly haemorrhaging oil!

Besides the badge on the front, there really isnt much difference between a courier and any other IFS 4x4, hiulx included.
MAZTRUCK- 31" Muddies, 2" Suspension lift, 2" Body Lift, Custom Front Bar, UHF, 2" Shackles, Balljoint Spacers, 1" Diff Drop, Dual Batt, Front Lokka, Sliders, Custom Tray, etc

Scott2510
Here and there

Unread post by Scott2510 » August 25th, 2010, 8:37 pm

I love my bravo, plenty of mods and is SUPER capable, see my page: Johnny Bravo
ive had 17 cars and this is the best ever.

RevHeadRev
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Ford Couriers??? Your Opinion

Unread post by RevHeadRev » October 21st, 2010, 7:25 pm

G'day mate, I had a 2002 Courier for 5 or 6 years and sold it a few months back to but a D40. The courier was a great truck - 2.5TD motor, never gave me any trouble and was more than capable off road. i loved the old thing and put over 100K on the clock without a drama. they're a bit of a sleeper - because they aren't a Hilux no one wants to know about them - but for the money you'd spend on a 'lux - spend the same on a much newer Courier/Bravo and you'll be smiling for years. blessings mate, steve

J P
Here and there

Unread post by J P » November 12th, 2010, 12:21 am

yeah same here mate, ive got an 03 extra cab, got it mid last year and have put 30k on it without any trouble. I was in the exact same predicament as you are/were and like you i just couldn't justify the extra cash for the hilux! Mine is the XLT version so its got a few extra goodies and the same specced hilux was basically 10k dearer! and at least with the ford/mazda you can actually get into the extra cab part easily and use it, the perfect spot for a 40ltr engel btw.

like others have said, they do tend to rev pretty highly on the road but off road its nice and low, and so far its handled the tracks well. Dont expect it to be a solid axle travel monster that you can get a mega lift and huge rubber under, just treat it like any other ifs truck and im sure you'll enjoy it. In terms of an all round 4wding/ute/camping/fishing/daily driver i can't fault it!

throw some pics up and check out the courier section of the forum.

good luck!

TheRaymund84
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by TheRaymund84 » December 26th, 2010, 12:48 am

I've known alot of blokes with 4WD utes. I've also heard alot of opinions on many a car. Earlier in this thread I noticed someone said "don't do it to yourself." Fact is a mate of mine had the same problem with 5th gear in his 2006 Triton Ute, and his mechanic recommended just hold 4th a bit longer and downshift sooner under any decent load on the tray. Engine wise I've been satisfied with my 2.7ltr non-turbo Navara, in low range and with failing front wheel drive I managed to make a rough creek crossing and pull an 80 series cruiser wagon out of a bog (it was firmly resting on both diffs and I skull dragged it out with the nav).

I love my 4WD utes. When it comes down to it the couriers/navaras/rodeos/hiluxes and likewise are all decent units if in good condition. If you need more tray space or larger engine capacity the Patrols/Cruisers/Landys are also great units. But no matter what model you're buying the same rules apply.

Lowest kms possible, best condition possible, good maintenance history, for a reasonable price, the features YOU will find useful. IE... live axle? I don't do monster comp trucking, so IFS utes get me down every outback track I've ever needed to go, and no paddock has been inaccessible.
Navara is the way.

rolly82

Re:

Unread post by rolly82 » December 26th, 2010, 2:13 pm

84'Lux wrote:I didn't have anything against them until I saw what was left of the Iron-man Courier that rolled on Telecom hill @ LCMP Apparently if the oil sensor trips in them the computer will stall the car immedently to save the engine, from what I heard it did this at the wrong time on a step up & rolled back over itself, resulting in it crumpling like a coke can!
you might find it was'nt a courier, but a PJ ranger that came to grief at LCMP.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=89506&start=0
they are totally different vehicles.

ryanod
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by ryanod » December 29th, 2014, 11:48 pm

Hey Lads, time to re-ignite this thread.

I've just bought a 2006 ford courier supercab 4x4 xlt ph upgrade, its got 187000 kms on it and makes that squealing sound that i've read about on this forum. Any idea how much this kind of thing would cost to fix and also the best way to fix it on a more permanent level?

also what does IFS mean? excuse my ignorance but i'm new to 4wd'ing and need to get some info for round the fire pit chat.

Ryan

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » December 30th, 2014, 12:12 am

IFS = Independent Front Suspension. Each wheel can go up and down independently of the other and are joined to the differential by Constant Velocity (CV) joints. (What you have)

On older/heavier duty/real 4x4's you had what was called a live axle that had a differential housing that went from one side to the other. Tough as nails, but doesn't ride as well. What you find in old Range Rovers, old Patrols/Landcruisers and really old HiLux. can have leaf springs or coils.

Which squealing sound are you talking about?

ryanod
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by ryanod » December 30th, 2014, 12:22 am

Cheers hoyks,

Squealing sounds exactly the same as a fan belt but they're talking about it being a warped exhaust manifold. It's 2.5L TD if that helps.

Ryan

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » January 26th, 2015, 10:14 pm

Buy a set of extractors, problem fixed!
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

ryanod
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by ryanod » January 29th, 2015, 1:48 pm

All good just needed to tighten the fan belt. Are extractors hard to install for someone with little mechanical experience?

Return to “Ute-Specific Tech”