Ford Couriers??? Your Opinion

Got a ute-specific tech question? Ask it here
Kleggy
Here and there

Ford Couriers??? Your Opinion

Unread post by Kleggy » January 16th, 2010, 9:33 pm

Hey Guys, im looking at buying a new 4x4 ute. Just wondering if any has had much experience with the Ford Couriers around the 2005-2006 model. What are they like to do mods on, are they around the same price as hilux's and the like to put lift kits on. Just wondering because on carsales there are a few around the 15-16k mark for 2005 model. Yet for 15k for a Hilux id get i 2000 model in alright nick with high klms. Just wondering you thoughts on what they are like, because ive never driven one, let alone taken one offroad, to see how they perform. Any help would be greatly appreciated, because im clueless about buying a ford. Anyone else got a courier of this shape that they could post what theirs looks like??

Thanks

bravoboy300
Part of the furniture

Unread post by bravoboy300 » January 17th, 2010, 11:57 am

ive got a bravo (same as a courier) and although its older than 05, they're still a pretty capable car offroad...Being IFS you cant go to mad with lift kits etc but you'd get 2" out of it...IMHO they're the same as an IFS lux...

Trav
1993 Mazda Bravo+ B2600i | 2" body lift | 2" susp lift | UHF | Narva Spotties | 15x7 alloys | 31" MTZ's | Navman S45 | Diff Breathers | Safari Snorkel | scratches | custom front bar | aldi winch

chillipepperz
Been here a while

Unread post by chillipepperz » January 17th, 2010, 12:35 pm

Mate, the Courier/Bravo twins are rippers! I own a 2006 SuperCab 2.5 TD and it is very much underrated. As far as utes go, they are all about the same- just check out the spec's on them and you will see things like wheel travel, clearance, wheelbase and track are all pretty much the same- as is ramp over, approach/departure etc.

You have to compare apples with apples- year with year and a 2006 Courier will out do a 2000 Hilux any day. The Courier/Bravo year for year competed very well with the others in the class of the same year. Often bettering them in some areas.

Some observations of mine:
- Goes well and there are a few cheap tweeks that assist performance.
- From what I have achieved so far, I am really looking forward to adding a snorkle and 3" exhaust dump pipe back.
- My economy is around 11.0 city/country loaded/unloaded and I drive it hard.
- They are tough though I hear older gearboxes may be a bit weak...I believe the 2006 model should be fine though.
- Pretty comfy and quiet.
- The gearing is short on the road and tends to rev its ring out on the road, but off-road I find the gearing pretty good with quite a deep low range.
- Thes front seats look basic but we find them comfy for up to 12 hours at a time (Adelaide to Darwin).
- Somewhere on the web there is a magazine test from a few years back comparing all the sual cabs and its clear that the Courier/Bravo of that era were the best equipped offroad. Google it :-)
- If all else fails just drive it better than the guy in the (yawwwwn!) Hilux!
- Front Lokka available now too.

Overall there are propbably less options for accessories than for a Hilux, BUT everything is available: i.e. LR tanks, Lokkas, F&R bars, Suspension etc.

This car is a daily driver by my wife and so far we have taken it off-road quite a bit. Outback trips have included Alice to Adelaide via Finke, Dalhousie down the Oodnadatta Track, Lake Eyre and into the Flinders on serveral PAR tracks solo. Other trips to Broken Hill, Innaminka, Bore Field Track, Strezlecki etc have been well within the capabilities of the vehicle. We have also travelled extensively in the Murray Sunset and Ngarkat parks with ease. Even a qucik highway run Adelaide to Darwin was comfy and economical.

Save ya $$$ and get the Courier!
2006 Ford Courier Super Cab 2.5TD, ARB Canopy, ARB Bullbar, ARB Rear Bar, Narva Ultima 225's, Uni Filter, Custom Roof Console, Uniden UHF, Waeco Fridge, Window Tint, Rear Drawers, 31" Geolandars

Kleggy
Here and there

Unread post by Kleggy » January 17th, 2010, 2:08 pm

Thanks for the information mate. I'm hopefully going to have a look at one tomorrow or next week sometime. Is there anything i should look for on the couriers, signs of stress or something that fails on them?

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » January 17th, 2010, 4:29 pm

Kleggy

What Chillipepperz said, My 2003 Bravo 2.5 TD Dualcab has done similiar sort of work, I'm another who tends to spin it reasonably hard, run 2 stroke in the fuel ( see that thread ) and its a daily driver also. Great vehicle, love it and just as importantly the other-half likes it also. Only known fault that i know of is the 5th gear / towing issue and its not been a problem with mine. Had a guy from Cornells give the motors a really good rap the other day - apparently they are pretty tough and reliable if you look after them
So far its stayed with every Toyo, Nissan, Landy and other vehicles that have tagged along on medium-hard type tracks, I try not to flog it off road on the really hard tracks.

Hunt around for accessories, they are out there in most cases just that as they are a a smaller market they are a tad more expensive, spare parts are reasonable and generally available - just don't expect to pick up a 2nd hand turbo or other major parts in Mount Tom Price in less than a week or so

Pick a nice one and i don't think you will regret it

Cheers
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

ranger danger
Here and there

Unread post by ranger danger » January 17th, 2010, 6:46 pm

Dont do it to yourself. Great comfortable car and everything but yes the gearbox is crap. I think 5th gear is made out of cheese and the exhaust manifold will warp every 15000kms which makes a really bad squeeking noise. There also useless for low-range crawling uphills, the engine has very little torque down low.
[font=Tahoma][size=100]only had to wait 6months and 3days for my single cab PK ranger![/size][/font]:mad:

Kleggy
Here and there

Unread post by Kleggy » January 17th, 2010, 8:52 pm

dusty turbine wrote:Dont do it to yourself. Great comfortable car and everything but yes the gearbox is crap. I think 5th gear is made out of cheese and the exhaust manifold will warp every 15000kms which makes a really bad squeeking noise. There also useless for low-range crawling uphills, the engine has very little torque down low.
Can anybody back this fact up?? I'm going to have a look at the car tomorrow. ATM I can't see/justify the extra 5-6k for another branded car of the same year. E.g hilux

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » January 17th, 2010, 9:02 pm

Kleggy,

Going by that mine is at 120K so it should have warped its manifold at least 5 times by now and it hasn't , nor have I heard of it or any squeeking noise coming from it either.
5th gear, just dont tow heavy loads in 5th gear all the time, having said that I recently towed a 1 tonne camper for 5,550K including through the Flinders ranges and I use 4th when needed - don't see the need to abuse 5th gear or the unit anyway

Cheers
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Kleggy
Here and there

Unread post by Kleggy » January 17th, 2010, 10:41 pm

Thanks for the re-assurance guys. I'm going to haves look at the one tomorrow. The only thing thatss holding me back is the fact that a) it's only a 2.5ltr turbo diesel compared to the other 3.0ltr turbo diesels like navars and hilux's (is this a good or a bad thing?) and b) in the back of my mind I keep thinking there's hardly any accessories I can fit to it. ;(

btw what are some cheap tweeks that assist performance.

chillipepperz
Been here a while

Unread post by chillipepperz » January 17th, 2010, 11:09 pm

First I have heard of manifolds warping! Gearbox issue fixed 05 onwards. Many other brands have the same problem.

Search the Mazda/Ford sections here- great info and technical stuff.

I have modified the hoses from the turbo (in the forum somewhere) and use a Uni Filter and bottom end is much improved. I have removed the ducting frm the mud guard to the air filter housing as I calculated a 40% restriction based on its size. I havent bought a snorkel yet but will do soon. I actually put it back to standard last weekend then promptly removed the ducting again as the difference was huge! I read that even a cat back exhaust and free flowing muffler makes a large difference.

The 2.5 will outperform the 3 litre engines (pre common rail electronic) with ease. We have a short but very steep road near where I live (Flagstaff Hill Rd) and it flies up there ahead of the traffic.

Good luck with the test drive!

Accessories???? What do you want? I have picked up ARB front and rear bars from Ebay (front was new for $750, rear used $200), made a roof console for my UHF, there are heaps of suspension options, driving lights and winches will fit everything, snorkels (3 brands) are available, rear drawer systems, canopies, ute liners, roll bars, roof racks, seat covers, long range tanks and so on...
2006 Ford Courier Super Cab 2.5TD, ARB Canopy, ARB Bullbar, ARB Rear Bar, Narva Ultima 225's, Uni Filter, Custom Roof Console, Uniden UHF, Waeco Fridge, Window Tint, Rear Drawers, 31" Geolandars

ranger danger
Here and there

Unread post by ranger danger » January 18th, 2010, 5:21 am

Yeah the exhaust manifold would keep warping on mine. Mine did it (1999) and it blew 5th gear without any abuse, my mates also kept warping (2006) and he blew a gearbox and then a transfer case and the local vets courier also warps manifolds (2001). I havn't heard of a courier that doesn't. If it wasn't for the engine I would probaly buy one again and just not use 5th, but then fuel usage is going to increase too.
[font=Tahoma][size=100]only had to wait 6months and 3days for my single cab PK ranger![/size][/font]:mad:

Kleggy
Here and there

Unread post by Kleggy » January 18th, 2010, 12:32 pm

Man. Now you've got me thinking. :( But the odd chance that this will happen is it worth spending 5-6k extra to get a reasonable Hilux?? Going to have a look at the courier in about an hour so we'll see how it goes. What should i do hen taking it for a test run?? Put it in 4x4 see if it works......

Last 4x4 i bought cost 6k so i didnt really care all to much about it aslong as it drove forwards and backwards & revved differently in 4x4 mode. Hahaha those were the younger days, now im a little more clued up i guess.

ranger danger
Here and there

Unread post by ranger danger » January 18th, 2010, 2:20 pm

Umm dunno really. Couriers aren't all that bad, just those two issues. If it was me i would buy a hilux, but if you do buy a courier make sure you have a bit of cash just incase the box does explode or something. After bagging out the courier i am going back and buying a ranger.

Courierman
Avid Poster

Unread post by Courierman » January 18th, 2010, 5:04 pm

Kleggy
i have owned two couriers. the main reason i bought them was that you would get a courier with 40 to 80K on the clock for the same price for as a hilux which had 150K and was 2 to 4 years older, and the funny thing is that both vehicles were made in thialand at one point in time.

the first was a 2.6 litre petrol 1997 model and was a great car. went 4wding in it regularly yes the 5th gear went on it and had the gear box repaired. I spoke to the gear box place and my mechanic and they said it was happening to all the twin cabs. it is just a week link in all of them and it is a well known fact on this forum that it is not recommended to tow in 5th gear.

The second and current courier i have is a 2001 TD and has been a great car. i have been 4wding in it and have gone hard on numerous occasions and i have had the following problems:-
1) the head had to be replaced cause it was cracked. this is a common problem if you overheat your engine.
2) Transfer case replaced as it shat itself. I must be special as i have never heard of this happening to anyone before and never had my mechanic or the supplier of the second hand transfer case.;
3) broke a rear axle (this was good as it gave me an excuse to put an air locker in it.)

as for the extras you can put on yes there is a smaller limit than the loluxes but i have still managed the following extras:-
front lokka
rear air lokka
long range fuel tank
dual batteries
50 l waeco
rear bar with twin swing a aways (home made joby)
front and side bars ARB
60 litre water tank
cruise control
canopy
glynde hot shower with pump
there maybe others but cannot remember them.

As for the warped manifolds i have not heard of it happening.

Just remember one thing - no matter what 4wd you buy if you thrash it thing will break and you will spend money on it!!

Best of luck in your decision.
Couriers are GREAT, 2001 2.5L turbo, 245/75/16 cooper ST, TWIN LOCKED ARB locker in rear
Front lokka, dual batteries to run 50L Waeco, dual swingaway spare tyres on rear
65L water tank where the spare use to be, much more please ask

Kleggy
Here and there

Unread post by Kleggy » January 18th, 2010, 8:08 pm

Thanks Courierman for all the information. Well i went and had and look, and it is in excellent condition. Never taken on the beach, and it looks like it has never been 4x4ing. Underneath is even in spotless condition. Same goes for the engine bay, & tray. Its a 2005 model, 80ks, 2.5td, and hes looking for around 14.5k. So im organizing a mobile mechanic to come and have a look tomorrow, then revs check. Then hopefully have a new car in my driveway, depending on how all that goes. :) Your right it is amazing how you can get a 4x4 ute for under 15k with less than 100k on the clock. Where when u can only get a 2001ish hilux with well over 200k for the same price and looks like its been thrashed. :P

Ohh well we'll see how it goes, ill keep you posted :)

Also what is the biggest legal tire size you can put on these, and would they require a suspension lift??

Regards

Kleggy

Return to “Ute-Specific Tech”