GU TD42 coil/leaf vs HZJ79

Got a ute-specific tech question? Ask it here
DauntlessLN46
Getting to know the place

GU TD42 coil/leaf vs HZJ79

Unread post by DauntlessLN46 » August 26th, 2015, 9:02 pm

Hi everyone,

Hoping I can get some perspective on this, and I'd like to avoid the usual Toyota Vs Nissan debates if possible.

My needs/wants:
Diesel with half decent torque
Towing capacity of at least 2 tonnes
Load carrying capacity: Will be get heavy loads on the tray fairly often
Good offroad and touring ability
Budget of around 13k

The vehicles I've test driven:

HJ75
HZJ75
HZJ79
GQ leaf
GU coil/leaf

The 75 series are out, just not enough space for me. Bit of a shame, I really like their simplicity and toughness.
The GQ also lacked interior space, so it's out too. It seemed solid otherwise.

The 79 is more comfortable, but I still find myself sitting too high and looking out of the tinted part of the windscreen a fair bit. It also lacked performance compared to the HZJ75. Finding a decent one in my price range is difficult, and 1HZ/R151F isn't ideal for adding a turbo.

The GU interior impressed me. Plenty of space and really comfortable. My main gripes are the lack of choice for a H260 diff lock (ARB air locker only) and the TD42T (99 model) was less powerful than expected, it felt only marginally better than the HZJ75 for performance.

At this point I'm leaning towards the GU because I can find them in my price range and the comfort factor.

I know none of these vehicles are ideal for hardcore 4WDing, but will they still do a decent job on the tracks? My current 4WD is a Hilux LN46 with a 2" lift and 33s. If I can achieve the same or slightly better articulation and clearance with approximately a 3" lift and 35s on my next vehicle I'll be happy enough.

With all this in mind, what do you suggest?

Thanks!

stretch4x4

Re: GU TD42 coil/leaf vs HZJ79

Unread post by stretch4x4 » August 27th, 2015, 8:11 pm

Interesting, most people find the GU more comfortable than the 79 especially with coils in the rear..

What makes you say that the hzj79 had less performance than the hzj75..? I would have thought the driveline was identical between the two (I don't think they changed the ratios) and I wouldn't have thought the extra cab and chassis would have added a noticeable amount of weight..

Re the view out of the 79 I suffer the same problem, I haven't inquired yet but I am hoping that I can get the glass replaced with one that doesn't have that stripe.. Although I am surprised if you have that issue in the 79 you fit in the GU, I certainly can't comfortably.
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

DauntlessLN46
Getting to know the place

Re: GU TD42 coil/leaf vs HZJ79

Unread post by DauntlessLN46 » August 28th, 2015, 12:09 am

Admittedly I've only driven one HZJ75 and one HZJ79, but the 79 was quite a bit slower, it felt about the same as a HJ75.

I had no problems with the GU, it was by far the most comfortable single cab ute I've driven.

Return to “Ute-Specific Tech”