Any tips/hints on mounting rooftop tent and tinny on D/Cab?

Got a ute-specific tech question? Ask it here
Jhyski
I'm new, be nice!

Any tips/hints on mounting rooftop tent and tinny on D/Cab?

Unread post by Jhyski » April 8th, 2014, 9:04 pm

Hi guys, just wondering if any one has seen or mounted a rooftop tent and tinny on there roof. I have a dual cab and I am trying to figure out a way to take both. I want to be able to set the tent up without removing the tinny.

Fraser32
Here and there

Re: Any tips/hints on mounting rooftop tent and tinny on D/C

Unread post by Fraser32 » April 8th, 2014, 9:10 pm

Hey mate i just mounted my rtt onto the tub works brilliantly dnno anything about mounting the tinnie but.
Heres some photos of mine on the tub along with how i did it

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad26 ... i8vsjb.jpg
2011 Navara D40 - 2inch lift - 265/75/15 muddies - Road safe recocery points

Jhyski
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Jhyski » April 8th, 2014, 10:04 pm

Looks good rate but I really need the tray space, my idea is to build a rack with the ten at the back and the boat mounted forward over the cab and bonnet. Does anyone know how this may affect driving?

Geeps08
Been here a while

Unread post by Geeps08 » April 11th, 2014, 8:55 pm

I think it might be asking a bit much out of a dual cab lining up both roof top tent and even a 10ft tinnie. To have such a combo it will need to be like frasers set up. Roof top on special rack level with roof then tinnie on top. A cool set up would be flat tray with special tray top box with pull out kitchen, fridge etc then tent on top of that level with roof then tinnie on top again.
See my face book page . Custom Canopies.

macka17
Been here a while

Unread post by macka17 » January 13th, 2015, 12:21 pm

Not really feasible without a lot of thought to balance and wind pressure.
Post above has a possible answer. Remember they only a small vehicle.

Also when it comes to the tinny mount. remember the cab and the tray are on individual mountings.
Base the weight on either the tray/canopy or the cab (not really advisable)
Either way, I can't really see any way of utilising the tent without moving the tinny first.

Personally I'd concentrate on mounting the tinny. I have a tinny carrier. mounted on a frame inside the canopy
through the roof, Overhanging the cab. with no weight on the cab roof, that has a coupla rails and solar panel on it.

Carry everything in/on tray area.
then have a rollout awning off side of the carrier. With a separate tent, Ground mounted under it.

I have a high rise Dmax with std rear springs. upgrade shocks. Half leaf helpers. and am having to mount an extra anti-roll system under the rear. Ordered from Net.($175). then Possibly a pr of Ironman Torsion bars for front too?.

That extra weight/wind resistance over the vehicle gives you a fair amount of extra roll on corners and roundabouts.
Plus sucks a bit more juice.

Watch a concrete truck at a roundabout or corner sometime. Gives you the idea.

But... Anything you mount on top. Be prepared to add extra underneath to counteract the roll, apart from the suspension lift.

Be Safe.

Only way I could see. would be possibly mount the tent on tray. on slides out the rear.
then slide it back. drop support legs and do your thing with the tent. That would work.

Return to “Ute-Specific Tech”