computer drawing/design programs, which have you used??

Got a ute-specific tech question? Ask it here
aussiedingbat
Been here a while

computer drawing/design programs, which have you used??

Unread post by aussiedingbat » August 3rd, 2013, 6:20 am

hello all
as it says,
im looking at designing and building a custom tray for my gu extracab, and ive seen in my searches many a briliant design drawing that have come from computer auto cad type programs...
who has used some of these programs? which do you recomend? any advice?
i was just going to go the old pen and paper way, but some of the computer drawings are so good you could mistake them for 3d photo's (i cant do that with pen and paper) would give me a much better end product (i hope)

Muckinhell
Need to get out more

Re: computer drawing/design programs, which have you used??

Unread post by Muckinhell » August 3rd, 2013, 9:11 am

I use the google sketch up program and best thing is its free. iv designed my rear storage system with it, segregated into individual parts with measurements and printed then gave to my mate who works at a fabrication place and they used the design to lazer cut 3mm aluminium and then he welded togethere for me. also have done mock up of my electrical system components to get a good fit for the space i have and also now designed a bathroom reno for one of my rentals...absolutly love it.

Neilski
Here and there

Unread post by Neilski » August 4th, 2013, 1:01 am

+1 for Sketchup. It is not owned by google any more, but it is still free. It took me about 2hrs to learn from scratch and then design a wrap-around patio in 3D for a mate's place.

aussiedingbat
Been here a while

Unread post by aussiedingbat » August 5th, 2013, 11:07 am

cheers, looks like sketch up it is... had a quick look at it, thought it was just for house stuff. ill have a better look maybe

aussiedingbat
Been here a while

Unread post by aussiedingbat » August 5th, 2013, 12:59 pm

just tried to download the "free" sketchup... and they tried to charge me.... "by downloading and installing you agree to pay a licence fee" !!!!!! I don't know if I clicke something wrong... but stared download of free sketchup make... got railroaded toward the premium scetchup pro... shifty buggers...

aussiedingbat
Been here a while

Unread post by aussiedingbat » August 5th, 2013, 12:59 pm

abort abort abort!!!! now ive got this downloaded, but not agreeing to the install agreement... which is different to the download one... no mention of money in the first one. only the second
Last edited by aussiedingbat on August 5th, 2013, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nath151
Been here a while

Unread post by nath151 » August 5th, 2013, 7:02 pm

Draft sight is another free cad program you could also try solidworks for 3D moddeling
Unsure if solidworks is Free or not

Wallably
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Wallably » September 16th, 2013, 10:34 pm

aussiedingbat wrote:abort abort abort!!!! now ive got this downloaded, but not agreeing to the install agreement... which is different to the download one... no mention of money in the first one. only the second
Hi ya.. I'm a builder and use a couple of different programs... I agree with the other posters, Sketchup it is.... you can draw pretty much anything with it then export the finished file to scale for technical drawings. I use it to do 3d illustrations of weird beam shapes for the fabricators, or the finished home or reno for a client in 3D

it comes in two versions at present, the 'Pro' version or sketchup 'make'. The make is the old sketchup 8 which is free. pro allows you to export your drawings to a 'layout' which is able to be scaled. here is the link for 'make' http://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-make

pro has a trial period of 30 days. You can install it and use all the features for your purposes which is fine for a one off.

If you really want to get down to it there is a really good CAD proagram out there that I use which is about a 20 min learn to use... It's called Autosketch 10 and will give you full DWG/DXF (CAD) import export ability and able to draw pretty much anything. It is a 2D program (ie not 3D) so is an easier learning curve and we all relate to it from the old tech drawing days at school.

I produce cabinetry drawings from scratch, engineering details or modify the architectural drawings with it...approx $250 on Amazon and worth every cent..

Just depends how far you want to go..

Cheers

aussiedingbat
Been here a while

Unread post by aussiedingbat » September 24th, 2013, 10:13 pm

thankyou wallaby, ill try the link, but it was the make version I downloaded last time, they just snuck in the pro agreement on it.

aussiedingbat
Been here a while

Unread post by aussiedingbat » September 25th, 2013, 7:00 pm

thankyou all, i have now got sketchup make working, and loving it, kinda tricky to start with, but starting to get better at it.

azzad
Avid Poster

Unread post by azzad » September 26th, 2013, 7:59 am

I know when I first started using sketchup years ago I downloaded some tutorial videos that were extremely helpful. Pretty sure they were on the sketchup website.

Its an awesome program, I have used it around the house, for my ute trays, at work.

Dazza

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » September 30th, 2013, 9:38 am

I have not used sketchup myself, but I know a couple of people who rave about it.

Its been a while but I have used Turbocad in various versions.....if you want to pay and not too much, it is a fully functional drafting package that in its current version ( when ever that was) would open and shut all but the latest autocad files.

These packages are way ahead of pen a paper for keeping track of dimensions and drawing angles and strange shapes accurately.

cheers

miclux
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by miclux » October 31st, 2014, 5:42 pm

I just designed my canopy and and storage compartments, it takes a bit to get use to but once you do it is brilliant

Return to “Ute-Specific Tech”