Petrol Rodeo to Diesel Conversion

Got a ute-specific tech question? Ask it here
m.h.ellis
I'm new, be nice!

Petrol Rodeo to Diesel Conversion

Unread post by m.h.ellis » March 26th, 2013, 9:56 pm

Hey guys

I got my hands on a colorado 4JJ1-TC 3 litre turbo diesel engine complete write off car still runs fine.

I am wanting to put this into my 2004 Holden Rodeo which is currently 3.5L V6 petrol. Has anyone done one of these conversions as any advice and help much appreciated.

Main reason for change is need more low down power for towing our van and at 14-15 litres per 100kms around town it has become too expensive on fuel.

I have spent too much on the car to warrant selling it and swopping to a diesel so this is my next best bet, please dont preach on about rather selling the petrol!!

Would anyone know if the rodeo wiring loom can be used for the diesel colorado. I know the rodeo and colorado share the same platform and wondered if the loom was plug and play, ie if it was a petrol you had cable 'a' option and diesel cable 'b' option but the main loom stayed the same?

I plan to pull the engine and gearboxes out as one, any advice from others already done this? Does it clear the transfer, does the sump need removing etc.

Also i have heard I may need to change the rear diff due to different ratio between petrol and diesel?

Cheers
Mark

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Re: Petrol Rodeo to Diesel Conversion

Unread post by Mungrel » March 26th, 2013, 11:42 pm

Having both vehicles there will certainly be a big help!

With regards to harnesses, the interior harness may be swapable, but the engine / transmission / transfer case harness and ECU will need to be swapped out.

Depending on whether the Diesel ecu can be used with your existing BCM (it may need to be linked by Holden) or you may need to swap the diesel BCM. (I know when i swapped from V6 to V8 i had to link the original bcm to the new v8 ecu.)

Sorry I can't be of more help, it'll be a good sized job (as any engine swap is) but at least with both cars readily available, you'll have most the parts at your disposal
If it can't be fixed with duct tape or a hammer, It must be electrical
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138912&hilit=mungrel%27
Photography Page: http://www.facebook.com/MungrelImages

When in doubt,

m.h.ellis
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by m.h.ellis » March 27th, 2013, 8:12 pm

Yes I was thinking about swapping the complete loom inclusive of the anti theft module & ignition key barrel & theft sensor.

I have since noted that the engine mounts are different between these two motors and will require cutting off the rodeo and welding onto the colorado chassis.

Would anyone know who or part number of the 4JJ1-TC turbo rebuild kit and were I can get from apart from the stealership!!

Cheers

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » March 28th, 2013, 12:47 pm

What area are ya in?

Aside from the usual ebay sites, could try Veales Auto Parts, or Precision International (Though I think they are just wholesalers)
If it can't be fixed with duct tape or a hammer, It must be electrical
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138912&hilit=mungrel%27
Photography Page: http://www.facebook.com/MungrelImages

When in doubt,

RODEODAVE
Been here a while

Unread post by RODEODAVE » July 11th, 2013, 5:39 pm

hows the swap going post up pics and report , keen to see where your at with it
cheers Dave

FuzzyM
Been here a while

Unread post by FuzzyM » August 27th, 2013, 2:56 pm

You will probably need to swap over the full fuel system from filler to engine. Also dont forget the exhaust system, I imagine petrol and diesel catalytic converters are different. Maybe radiator too.
1998 Dual Cab Hilux 2.7

FuzzyM
Been here a while

Unread post by FuzzyM » August 27th, 2013, 2:58 pm

Was that engine fitted to your model from the factory? Either way will probably need to be engineered to be legal, particularly if you are cutting off engine mounts.
Last edited by FuzzyM on September 30th, 2013, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1998 Dual Cab Hilux 2.7

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » September 30th, 2013, 12:48 pm

FuzzyM

Petrol systems run cat converters, diesels run particulate filters if they run anything.

Some brands the rear section of the exhaust including the mufflers are identical, which results in a pretty quiet petrol exhaust.....but if the existing system is designed around petrol, it wont have enough muffle volume to cope with the big diesel pulses.

cheers

m.h.ellis
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by m.h.ellis » December 2nd, 2013, 9:49 pm

OK guys finally got around to completing my engine conversion.
Took about three full weeks working alone however an extra pair of hands would shed loads of time.

Ended up swapping complete drive train, steering rack and hubs, complete fuel system tank and pipes. Fitted ABS module and complete brake lines front to back.

Swapped exhaust system. Pulled out wiring looms front and rear, left headliner loom.
Cut off old 6ve1 engine mounts and replaced with 4jj1 ones from donor car. An air grinder come in handy there as tight spaces to get to welds.
Fitted updated dashboard, door trims, electric windows and mirrors from donor. Just an LX model my old one so no luxuries!

Things I had to modify only due to donor being space cab extended chassis and mine a dual cab standard wheelbase.

Fuel pipe and brake pipe shortened. Exhaust pipe shortened. Had to splice in extra wires for rear door central locking and rewire horn due to Colorado having airbags. I have the option to add later but for now leave as non airbag so had to keep old steering wheel. Also had to get another rear prop shaft. Also front headlight wiring had to be changed back to single plug, Colorado has twin projector type lights. Used plugs from old loom.

So to sum up cost so far $2000 for 09 statutory write off, $300 for missing air box, aircon pipe, lower radiator cowling, ECM support bracket, $250 for QLD blue modplate, $60 wheel alignment, $180 aircon regas & test. $200 for Colorado bonnet scoop yet to be fitted. All up approx $3k.

FuzzyM radiators are the same however air-conditioning unit has condenser opposite side to RA petrol so had to swop that.

Extremely happy so far with the extra power low down, no more changing down on hills.

Hope that gives you guys some info!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » December 2nd, 2013, 10:08 pm

m.h.ellis

That is a really good job, you should be proud of your skills in getting it all up and running.
Some people would have put a 350 chev in it cos that's what ya do isn't it?
Nice too see someone who doesn't think V8 everything.

Is that a TJM T13 bar?

Cheers
mydmax

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » July 14th, 2014, 10:19 pm

X2 big time - some "reputable factory trained technicians" couldnt even pull off the half of what youve done there.

Pity its a rodeo though :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kidding mate, its a credit to you, well done.
Boof
Somewhere in a land downunder...

Mods: plenty
To do: plenty more

My camper build - viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153623

RODEODAVE
Been here a while

Unread post by RODEODAVE » July 25th, 2014, 8:45 pm

m.h.ellis have been looking at going down this road and was wanting to know now that you have had it done for a while now if you believe it was worth it or would you have been better of just upgrading

cheers dave

Return to “Ute-Specific Tech”