How do you Secure your fridge so it doesn't get stolen?

Got a ute-specific tech question? Ask it here
jules781
Avid Poster

How do you Secure your fridge so it doesn't get stolen?

Unread post by jules781 » March 18th, 2012, 12:32 pm

Hey I was wondering how do u lock up your fridge in your ute so it dosnt get stolen. Do the fridge slides secure it or do I have to wrap a chain and padlock around it

oversite
Need to get out more

Re: How do you Secure your fridge so it doesn't get stolen?

Unread post by oversite » March 19th, 2012, 11:05 pm

I put mine in a toolbox when im not camping. Mine also has holes on the bottom for bolts.
Good luck

rowdyskrooza
Avid Poster

Unread post by rowdyskrooza » March 20th, 2012, 7:37 pm

You can get tie down straps that you can put padlocks on...you could put some tube over it so that they can't cut it with a knife but to be perfectly honest nothing is safe anymore with battery grinders. They make pretty short work of just about anything including your average padlock.
In saying all that I've never done anything it just sits back there in plain view and I've never had a problem.
If you think the last 4 words of the national anthem are gentlemen, start your engines, you might be a redneck.

jules781
Avid Poster

Unread post by jules781 » March 20th, 2012, 8:04 pm

yer im thinking of wrapping a chain around it. In my old ute i had the dog cages and I had the fridge in one side locked up. in my current ute its a but hard because I have a canvas canopy it be to much of a PITA to access the fridge from the cage.

with the fridge slides they have on the market, the fridge is just strapped to the slide and the slide is bolted to the floor correct?

rowdyskrooza
Avid Poster

Unread post by rowdyskrooza » March 20th, 2012, 8:07 pm

Yes mate spot on.
If you think the last 4 words of the national anthem are gentlemen, start your engines, you might be a redneck.

jules781
Avid Poster

Unread post by jules781 » March 20th, 2012, 8:11 pm

mm u think they would of made something to secure it. I eventually want to invest in a slide just gotta organise where I want to mount everything.

rowdyskrooza
Avid Poster

Unread post by rowdyskrooza » March 20th, 2012, 8:35 pm

I guess you could drill and tap the bottom of you fridge and bolt it through the slide first then bolt the slide down then strap it down to actually hold it there...and just have the bolts as a theft deterrent. Then use security bolts to bolt through your tray and then stand back and watch the filthy scum try to take it.

ERASER
Need to get out more

Unread post by ERASER » March 20th, 2012, 8:47 pm

I bent a 50mm by 5mm metal strap around the fridge. I cut two slots into the bottom of the fridge slide so the strap pokes through. Put a padlock on both ends of the strap and its locked. I also welded a few links of chain to the slide so the front lock also hooks through the chain to stop the fridge from being able to be slide out. Then i mounted the slide on the tray and welded the ends of all the bolts. It aint coming off. It lives on the back of the lux now.

my lux is only good for driving through puddles and i dont know anything.........
My Hilux

jules781
Avid Poster

Unread post by jules781 » March 20th, 2012, 9:49 pm

wow thats a good setup. I also like the idea of running a tap at the bottom of the fridge. both are very good ideas.

raff71
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by raff71 » June 27th, 2012, 4:46 pm

I have a 60.lt trailblazer on the back of my cruiser got turnbukles over handles that attach to eyelets on tray
and one of them python locks too keep the honest away.as for the scumbags reckon doesn't matter how secure
you think your gear is them so and so will find a way to take it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bryceabs
Been here a while

Unread post by Bryceabs » June 27th, 2012, 7:59 pm

Isn't it sad how we have to come up with all these ideas to deter low life scum.

ERASER
Need to get out more

Unread post by ERASER » June 27th, 2012, 8:00 pm

its even sadder that these low life scums are 4wders.
my lux is only good for driving through puddles and i dont know anything.........
My Hilux

Deans4by

Unread post by Deans4by » June 28th, 2012, 6:10 pm

Like your idea bluehilux :thumb: :lol: I used to have a bull terrier that did a similar job.
Who cares what 4wd you have just get out and use it.
MK Triton 2.8L TD a few mods goes alright.

ERASER
Need to get out more

Unread post by ERASER » June 28th, 2012, 6:39 pm

Yeap no one was allowed to touch our dogs tray.

My Hilux

Sparkys
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sparkys » July 13th, 2012, 12:53 pm

ERASER wrote:I bent a 50mm by 5mm metal strap around the fridge. I cut two slots into the bottom of the fridge slide so the strap pokes through. Put a padlock on both ends of the strap and its locked. I also welded a few links of chain to the slide so the front lock also hooks through the chain to stop the fridge from being able to be slide out. Then i mounted the slide on the tray and welded the ends of all the bolts. It aint coming off. It lives on the back of the lux now.

Mate, isn't this a pain when you want to stop and grab a drink or something out of it? Having to undo both padlocks and take the bar off?

Return to “Ute-Specific Tech”