Ute Canopy Thread

Got a ute-specific tech question? Ask it here
Waters bt50
Here and there

Re: Ute Canopy Thread

Unread post by Waters bt50 » January 23rd, 2013, 8:08 pm

my 2012 navara with a canopy my old man built for his..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2012 Str navara, 2" Tough dog lift, 32" M/T, 12,000pound winch,Hid spotties, Steel bar side rails and steps.

Geeps08
Been here a while

Unread post by Geeps08 » January 24th, 2013, 8:30 pm

nice looking rig mate. got any pics of inside.
See my face book page . Custom Canopies.

Geeps08
Been here a while

Unread post by Geeps08 » January 24th, 2013, 8:40 pm

RobNT wrote:Here are some pics of my canopy. It was a ex Telstra unit that I rebuilt over a couple months.

ImageImage

Enjoy
Rob
hey mate. just looking at your rear wall with the black knobblies to prevent the spare rubbing on wall. how well does it work cos i am looking at doing something for mine. just seems a bit too simple having 3 only.

looking forward to your comments. might be what i end up doing...........cheers.

RobNT
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by RobNT » January 25th, 2013, 7:03 pm

The rubber stopper things on my back wall where worn down and the tyre was touching it. Small stones/dirt sat inside the tyre and did wear the paint a little. I recently got some new replacement one's from Roscos in Perth(the one's who built the tray) for a couple $$$ each. The tyre sits about 10/15mm off the wall and most small stones drop through. I was getting a lot of small stones bouncing back of my trailer, I've since fitted larger mud flaps and only get dust buildup now.

Rob

Geeps08
Been here a while

Unread post by Geeps08 » January 26th, 2013, 8:27 pm

nice set up robnt. looks like the stops work well apart from the build up you got. i guess keeping an eye on tire pressure is critical too. was thinking of powder coated alloy chequer but seems a bit exessive.i like your idea better but it just seems to easy...... :lol:

Donk94
Here and there

Unread post by Donk94 » January 27th, 2013, 2:17 pm

This is my canopy i fabed up as the first mod for the lux, learnt to weld doing this canopy. Has 1mm alloy roof and rip stop canvas sides. With some draws i made up

Currently designing a new fulled sealed canopy still tossing up on full alloy or steel frame alloy plated
Lucky it wasnt my sthil that cut you off

Geeps08
Been here a while

Unread post by Geeps08 » January 28th, 2013, 10:24 pm

done a good job there donk. im really warming to those style of fridge slides you got. did you make it. full alloy canopy is the best. nothing like having no rust worries. depends on what you can do and the tools you have. i was going steel frame with ally but but had concerns how to fix it neatly to the frame as i wanted it super smooth. so i went to full ally. its gunna be a test as my strength is in steel and welding and i like the strength of steel frame so supporting spare wheels , jerry cans etc. when ya start building it post up pics in a new thread. its always good to see projects and ideas from others.

Donk94
Here and there

Unread post by Donk94 » January 29th, 2013, 8:28 pm

Geeps08 wrote:done a good job there donk. im really warming to those style of fridge slides you got. did you make it. full alloy canopy is the best. nothing like having no rust worries. depends on what you can do and the tools you have. i was going steel frame with ally but but had concerns how to fix it neatly to the frame as i wanted it super smooth. so i went to full ally. its gunna be a test as my strength is in steel and welding and i like the strength of steel frame so supporting spare wheels , jerry cans etc. when ya start building it post up pics in a new thread. its always good to see projects and ideas from others.
Cheers jeeps, i brought the fridge slid off a mate, bcf also sell them under engle 40ltre slide or somthing but can squeeze a 60lt eva cool on. and mounted it on some hinges
Thats what im tossing over the strength of steel is hard to go buy but the weight of alloy is also a huge benifit.
Also steel can be welded in almost any work shop unlike alloy big thing to think about if doing alot of corro roads

Will do, build will start early next month.
Lucky it wasnt my sthil that cut you off

deano rad
Getting to know the place

Unread post by deano rad » February 20th, 2013, 7:11 pm

Theres some good looking canopies there I'm half way through building mine for a 79 cruiser Ute its good to see others to get ideas I'll try to get some photos of mine of what it is so far im going a steel frame with 50mm mesh and 2 doors either side and a canvas cover.

deano rad

Unread post by deano rad » February 20th, 2013, 7:19 pm

Here are some photos of mine hope it helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RODEODAVE
Been here a while

Unread post by RODEODAVE » April 15th, 2013, 9:48 pm

HERE IS AFEW OF MINE SERVES ME WELL

87Luxy
Here and there

Unread post by 87Luxy » May 14th, 2013, 4:28 pm

This is our setup, there is also an awning for a bit of shelter.

Geeps08
Been here a while

Unread post by Geeps08 » June 1st, 2013, 9:37 pm

Hey 87 Luxy got any inside pics of the inside of ya tray.

87Luxy
Here and there

Unread post by 87Luxy » June 11th, 2013, 10:39 pm

Sure thing, It's pretty empty in the back at the moment. On trips we take a Waeco electric/gas freezer that fits in on the left. There is a 40 litre water tank under the floor in the spare tire spot. The two gull wing doors give access to spare wheel and a 15 horse outboard motor and fuel tank for the tinnie. It makes a massive difference being able to get in on the sides. There is also an electric winch to pull the the boat up onto the roof which makes life a whole lot easier.

LuxSurfer

Unread post by LuxSurfer » September 9th, 2013, 7:07 pm

Just a quick pic of my home made Canvas canopy in the driveway, made the frame myself as well and am pretty happy with the result. The inside is empty at the moment but not for long

Return to “Ute-Specific Tech”