Ute Canopy Thread

Got a ute-specific tech question? Ask it here
blackntan
Been here a while

Re: Ute Canopy Thread

Unread post by blackntan » January 29th, 2014, 8:29 am

My effort
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lost again

blackntan
Been here a while

Unread post by blackntan » January 29th, 2014, 8:39 am

Custom built canopy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Geeps08
Been here a while

Unread post by Geeps08 » February 14th, 2014, 6:23 pm

That's a pretty nifty set up blackntan. Is the area behind the cab one continuos space or divided.
See my face book page . Custom Canopies.

blackntan
Been here a while

Unread post by blackntan » February 15th, 2014, 5:24 am

No mate three separate compartments. Accessible from both side and the center one thru the back. With draw under them and two main draws running the lenth of the tub. Check out. N&j aluminium uk Some great. Ideas. BnT
Lost again

Geeps08
Been here a while

Unread post by Geeps08 » March 12th, 2014, 7:15 pm

My canopy

Statesman
Been here a while

Unread post by Statesman » March 23rd, 2014, 7:15 pm

"Geeps08
Love the rack design on this canopy. Nice rig mate.

Geeps08
Been here a while

Unread post by Geeps08 » April 5th, 2014, 11:20 pm

Cheers statesman

Trigger_Happy
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Trigger_Happy » October 18th, 2014, 7:31 pm

Loving the canopies guys. I have been tossed up between an aluminum canopy and a canvas canopy for a while. I think I am going to go with a canvas canopy because it is cheaper, easier to store/remove, light weight and they look good when done right. However with plans of a cape trip and a lot of driving out west coming up, I want it to be next to perfectly dust proof (well as best a possible). I am very puzzled on how to make it dust proof around the bottom where it meets the tray or side boards. I would also like to run two spares on the rear of the canopy and I was just thinking of bolting a tire carrier on the outside of the canvas with the bolts running through to the frame on the inside then silicone it or something, if that makes sense. What does everyone think about this ? The basic design will be a steel frame with a full length door each side which will be on gas struts. I was thinking of running a zip around where the rim of the door is and undoing the zip then open the door. What does everyone think? Does anyone have any better ideas to offer.

Thanks,
Trigg

bushwacka_macka
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by bushwacka_macka » October 21st, 2014, 6:53 pm

Hi Trigger. Both my current and my previous utes have canvas canopies. dust proofing is easy - get your canvas sewing person to sew in fly-wire mesh air-vents ( approx 100x 100 mm) into the top corners of the canopy. Behind the cab. The positive air pressure getting forced into the canopy cavity through the 2 vents will prevent any dust making its way in through the bottom. It's a common extra that canvas makers do when making canopies. I don't have mine fitted currently , but one of the other forum members might be able to take a pick and show ya. hope this helps.

Macka

blackntan
Been here a while

Unread post by blackntan » October 22nd, 2014, 2:31 am

If i lived in a country with your climate i would defiantly go for a canvas cover it gives you so many options. Maybe next time i will try one of these
Lost again

Brunsy3
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Brunsy3 » November 19th, 2014, 9:01 pm

Love the thread. Have been contemplating a canvas canopy for the hilux to mould around the ladder racks that are on it. Have no idea where costs start I think locally up here it will be quite expensive. We sleep in the tray usually just with tarps strapped down over the top with a mozzie net thrown over top of that. Is getting a bit wet atm so wont be doing a heap of camping until next year but am getting some good ideas from here.

Cheers
Hilux 3.0TD 2002 kzn165r

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » November 20th, 2014, 9:11 am

blackntan
I think you mean, Definitely and not Defiantly. The predictive text on modern devices is not as smart as we think!

This happens many times to people who are "definite" and don't appear to be "defiant" at all.

Cheers
mydmax

fc_ holden
Getting to know the place

Unread post by fc_ holden » November 24th, 2014, 9:07 pm

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]
Lost in the ACT
Live one day at a time for tomorrow may never come!

KUSTOM V840
Avid Poster

Unread post by KUSTOM V840 » November 8th, 2015, 3:53 am

Just bumping this thread up! Great ideas in this thread… I'm in the process of building one needing more ideas!!

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » September 4th, 2016, 10:11 am

I brought a cheap canopy off ebay for $460 then pulled it apart, extended it 150mm & am about halfway through fitting it out & putting it back together, i have just been pretty much making it up as i go, originally i was going to mount all the battery management system in the rear behind the rear opening door, but when i extended the canopy i removed the rear door & turned the box around so now the headboard end of the canopy houses the 2 x 120 ah batteries, the compressor, the 240 inlet & circuit breaker the inveter the TV & the high lift jack with storage for recovery gear & tools ect, that all fits in the extra 150mm cavity where i extended the canopy, then down the right side i have a king single bed with 5 x 130 liter storage tubs underneath & above the storage bins there is a 100mm storage area built into the bed frame under the mattress the length and width of the bed, above the bed i have a cupboard that houses the 12 circuit narva fuse box, a Bluetooth stereo, 6 circuit switch panel with circuit breakers, a twin usb charge station, a merit power socket, the remote control box for the 1000 watt inverter, & a UHF radio, under the cupboard my tablet mounts using velcro & can be placed anywhere on the carpet areas, all the remotes have velcro on them as well and can be stuck anywhere throughout the canopy :) under the cuboard i have the Redarc BMS 1215s2 battery management system. all wiring throughout the canopy runs through conduce hidden in behind walls cupboards ect, down the left side i have a 100 liter fridge freezer some cupboards the 4 burner gas stove stored under the bench area, a removable lift out sink (large stainless dog bowl) electric faucet & pump, a travel buddy oven, above oven i have a solar powered exhaust fan, waiting until i re clad the canopy to install it, a switchboard to control the 8 LED's throughout the canopy with master switches for pump & bilge blower which is also mounted under bed behind fridge to give the compressor a little extra air flow, there are also another twin USB charge station, 2 merit & one gig power socket a double power point for the inverter, another double power point for direct 240 power for when on powered sites, also one in behind the TV and inside the cupboard above the bed :) in each top corner of the canopy there is a 240 v LED light for use on powered sites, that's all i can think of atm :) i will also be mounting a solar panel on the canopy roof that will run into the bms,
anyway here are a couple of pics of where i am upto with it.
cheers barnsey.

Return to “Ute-Specific Tech”