4WD Action Freelance Travel Stories

Planning a trip and need some advice? Here's your place
Vlad
Here and there

Re: 4WD Action Freelance Travel Stories

Unread post by Vlad » August 2nd, 2011, 10:50 pm

woolgoolgaoffroad wrote:Other feedback would be a quick email saying the story was received. Even an email saying the story is being considered and if not, maybe saying why, ie- pics arent too great or story too short etc, i would be happy to go back and reshoot the destination or re write the story. I know i havent heard anything on my last 4 -5 i have shot down..
Just honest feedback
Hi Kev,

Thanks for your feedback, I know of 2 that we have published and 2 more that are scheduled in issues to come. I'll sit down with our new Travel Editor tomorrow and see if there's anything outstanding, But I thought I emailed you a few months ago about it. I'll check and we'll get back to you.

Vlad

Vlad
Here and there

Unread post by Vlad » August 2nd, 2011, 10:56 pm

Looks like we have a new travel editor, so maybe things might be different now, but I'm hearing you Kev, I stopped sending travel stories in for the same reasons.
With many of us being away on trips, things have slipped but I'll be working through any outstanding submissions with our new Travel Editor this week. Feel free to email me personally and we'll get back to you this week.

Thanks,
Vlad

Vlad
Here and there

Unread post by Vlad » August 2nd, 2011, 11:03 pm

prawns wrote:Being that any basic cheap $20 3megapixel camera can take A4 sized photos Im wondering how high a resolution are you guys after being that most your shots are printed half that size anyway? (a minimum megapixel size would be good or maybe clarification on what your after)

My cheap $100 video camera can do 8megapixel shots - high resolution shots arnt just the domain of DSLR's anymore? (which I guess gives us average Joes that dont want to spend over 1K on a camera a shot at getting published unless theres a different reason it has to be DSLR?)
Hi Prawns,

It's more to do with the lens than megapixels. When we have to crop and zoom into pictures, compacts just don't cut it, and it's very noticeable with the amount of 'noise' thats evident in the photos - hence we can't use pics from compacts most of the time. Another major issue is that most people use 'auto' settings with their cameras and in low light or photos where there are lots of shadows - the end result is very poor for our purposes. But I'm not a professional photographer, it's the feedback we get from our designers & photographers who are always correcting images. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Vlad

woolgoolgaoffroad
Need to get out more

Unread post by woolgoolgaoffroad » August 3rd, 2011, 6:43 am

Hey Vlad,
Yep you did email me several months ago, saying i had one in the pipeline, but since then i have sent down around another 6-8 stories.
But thanks for the quick reply

Vlad
Here and there

Unread post by Vlad » August 3rd, 2011, 7:33 am

Vlad wrote:Hi Kev,

Thanks for your feedback, I know of 2 that we have published and 2 more that are scheduled in issues to come. I'll sit down with our new Travel Editor tomorrow and see if there's anything outstanding, But I thought I emailed you a few months ago about it. I'll check and we'll get back to you.

Vlad
woolgoolgaoffroad wrote: Hey Vlad,
Yep you did email me several months ago, saying i had one in the pipeline, but since then i have sent down around another 6-8 stories.
But thanks for the quick reply
We've had a few people coordinate freelancers and it could be with different editors. If you can email me a list of stories submitted I'll go through them all with Chris and we'll get back to you.

Vlad.

prawns
Been here a while

Unread post by prawns » August 3rd, 2011, 7:52 am

Vlad wrote: Hi Prawns, ........... Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Vlad
Yep Cheers mate
Bugga! (for me at least lol)
Eagles may fly, but Prawns dont get sucked into jet engines!!

Spuki
Here and there

Unread post by Spuki » September 1st, 2011, 11:36 pm

Vlad wrote:

With many of us being away on trips, things have slipped but I'll be working through any outstanding submissions with our new Travel Editor this week. Feel free to email me personally and we'll get back to you this week.

Thanks,
Vlad
Hey Vlad I did email both you and Chris a couple of times the last being only a few weeks ago, but unfortunately I still haven't had any response from you guys as the others have said I really enjoy writing the stories and I certainly love doing the trips it would be a real shame to stop sending them in but it's a little disheartening when you don't hear a dicky bird for over 6 months! I have sent 2 stories since Feb but I don't even know if they have been received any feedback would be gratefully appreciated cheers

Vlad
Here and there

Unread post by Vlad » September 2nd, 2011, 7:31 am

Hi Andy,

I'm a little confused, we published your Bribie story as I spoke to you on the phone about it just before you moved interstate (published in CWY4WD18) and did email you a while ago asking you to re-submit your Moreton story, but haven't heard back. I assume from your post you might have missed it in your email. I understand your frustration so if you'd like to re-submit it, we'd love to see it as the Bribie story was great and had fantastic pics. Send it directly to Chris and he will go through it and get back to you asap.

Thanks,
Vlad

Chris P

Unread post by Chris P » September 2nd, 2011, 8:05 am

Hi All,

Now seems a good time to introduce myself on here.

I'm Chris the New Travel Editor. I have already spoken to a few of you on the phone and have had contact with a few of you via email.

Rest assured your comments here aren't falling on deaf ears. We are making an effort to give people feedback on their submissions and to advise as to whether or not they are accepted.

Please email me if you have any outstanding stories with us or if you have any other queries in regards to Travel stories. My email is cpolglase@expresspublications.com.au

Regards
Chris

Spuki
Here and there

Unread post by Spuki » September 4th, 2011, 12:04 pm

Thanks for the quick response Vlad, much appreciated, looks like we're all a little confused lol I don't think I got the email about re-submitting the story but I will certainly send that one and the other story I sent a couple of months ago onto Chris ASAP. I really enjoy writing the stories so it's nice to hear you guys like them too. Thanks again will catch up with Chris cheers

woolgoolgaoffroad
Need to get out more

Unread post by woolgoolgaoffroad » May 7th, 2012, 7:30 am

Hey guys,
seems this thread has popped up since the forum down time the other night. Who is the travel cordinator now for camper trailer mag and the camper mag please ?

Pippa
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Pippa » May 20th, 2012, 2:50 pm

yeah I would like to know too if anyone knows, I filled in the contact us page asking, will let you know woolgoolgaoffroad what they say when they reply

stevezammit
Been here a while

Unread post by stevezammit » August 20th, 2012, 3:56 pm

Paul Todd is the Features Editor for travel, they get flat out nearing their cutoff for mags so be patient on the replies.

woolgoolgaoffroad
Need to get out more

Unread post by woolgoolgaoffroad » August 20th, 2012, 4:56 pm

i thought it was daniel butkovich
for both camper trailer touring and 4wd camping guide

stevezammit
Been here a while

Unread post by stevezammit » August 21st, 2012, 6:13 pm

woolgoolgaoffroad wrote:i thought it was daniel butkovich
for both camper trailer touring and 4wd camping guide
It was Paul who replied to my enquiries and that was the title on his email, seems like a really good guy and he sent me some valuable resources to help write up stories in the correct format.
How are the Woolgoolga Blue Socks going this season? I assume they still have a strong baseball team.

Return to “Trip Planning”