4WD Action Freelance Travel Stories

Planning a trip and need some advice? Here's your place
Dave Luke
Been here a while

4WD Action Freelance Travel Stories

Unread post by Dave Luke » July 7th, 2010, 3:12 pm

Hey guys and girls,

Ever thought of telling about your experiences on the track in 4WD Action? Right now we are looking and creating a bank of great travel stories from around the country and we are looking for freelance contributors to help out.

Travel stories are a great way to make a couple of extra dollars when you are going to be going bush anyway. Hey it might even cover your fuel bill! A travel story complete and with good photos is worth $700.00

If you are planning a trip away in the next few months or have recently come back from a trip away we want to know about it!

A basic travel story will need good quality high resolution images, this is the biggest part of a travel story. If you are not shooting on a Digital SLR than we are sorry to say your story probably wont be considered as image quality is the most important thing to us.

However you dont have to be a great writer, we can help you out with getting the words together. As long as you can explain where you have been, what you did while you were there and details on the location such as driving distances, fuel stops, food, facilities etc we can help with the rest.

If you are interested in contributing freelance travel articles for 4WD Action shoot me an email to david@4wdaction.com.au or give me a call on 0422 198 154 I am happy to have a chat about where you are going or where you have been.
2004 [b]4.8L[/b] GU Patrol ST, 35in Mickey Thompson MTR, 4in Superior Superflex Kit, SRC remote canister shocks, ARB barwork, Custom Rear Drawers, UHF, Roof Console, Hella HID Spotties, Roo Systems exhaust

melrohs
Getting to know the place

Travelling Editorial

Unread post by melrohs » August 13th, 2010, 10:26 pm

Hi David
My family and I are travelling next year, departing in December 2012 and would be very keen to supply you with editorial and pics. We are constantly surfacing the net and forums to find out information prior to our departure. In fact we are heading to the Flinders Ranges for 3 weeks in September/October this year and thanks to the information available due to technology, we have decided to head for Lake Eyre and fit everything else around that destination. We will be travelling in a 2005 GU Patrol with a 2005 Outback Expanda and a Tinny on the roof. We are all so excited that the day can't come soon enought. We are planning on being away for 2 years, and my husband may cook whilst we travel as he is a qualified chef and I'm a MYOB Certified Consultant and Quicken Accredited Trainer, so I plan to travel around and help people with their business finances whilst we blog our trip for others to follow, and hope to put something back in. So if you are interested in us providing your pictorial with editorial we would be pleased. We are subscribers of your magazine and love watching the dvds that come with the mag. Thanks Melissa, Rohan and Lleyton
"live the dreams and see you around the camp fire"
melrohs730@gmail.com :truck:

ggreenie
Been here a while

Re: 4WD Action Freelance Travel Stories

Unread post by ggreenie » February 17th, 2011, 5:01 pm

Hi Dave...

Sent you an email mate. Any chance of a reply?

Brett

nqgu
Part of the furniture

Unread post by nqgu » February 23rd, 2011, 7:53 am

Me too. seems Dave isn't answering his email at present
There have been some changes.
I used to live in NQ, I now live in Sydney and that is the minor change.

rumpig
Need to get out more

Unread post by rumpig » February 25th, 2011, 5:11 pm

it took a few weeks atleast before i got a reply from Tracey when she worked there last year.

YBHVE4
Been here a while

Unread post by YBHVE4 » March 4th, 2011, 11:54 am

same here. been waiting since dec 2010

Vlad
Here and there

Unread post by Vlad » March 15th, 2011, 7:59 am

Hi all,

If you're interested in submitting freelance stories, pm me your details (email address and contact number). David has been flat out and hence probably missed your posts.

Thanks,
Vlad

woolgoolgaoffroad
Need to get out more

Unread post by woolgoolgaoffroad » March 23rd, 2011, 7:19 pm

Dave/Vlad,

One thing you could do is to let us (the readers that send in stories) know one way or another, if the stories are good enough to make the chop or if they are not good enough, and what is needed to improve them in any way - that seems to be an issue with some of us not knowing if we need to go back and do extra pics, or further trip notes etc. I know i have sent in around 5 stories since November last year but honestly, without any response it is a bit disheartening.

Kev

Vlad
Here and there

Unread post by Vlad » March 24th, 2011, 6:53 am

Kev,

We are working on streamlining many processes currently but it does take time. If you can email your list I will then know which stories you are referring to, as I do know we have used a couple from you recently.

Thanks,
Vlad

Tiziri
Avid Poster

Unread post by Tiziri » July 17th, 2011, 9:40 pm

We packed the car, and the lap top. Took three cameras and fitted a GoPro Camera, all for a trip to Cape York and other places up there. Made it to Day 4 at Cape Tribulation and blew a flywheel. $3,000 later and a few days in Mossman (North QLD) and we were heading back to Cairns. So .. sorry .. no story from us. But can we have the $700 anyway? hahaha

Maybe next year on our mega trip, where ever that may be.

Cheers

(She) Cam
03 GUIII Patrol max lift + max flex = max fun

Spuki
Here and there

Unread post by Spuki » July 29th, 2011, 4:21 pm

I have to agree Kev it would be really good to hear some feedback.
I'm sure they must get thousands of stories but it's hard to know if you should keep sending them when your not sure they even received the last one.

woolgoolgaoffroad
Need to get out more

Unread post by woolgoolgaoffroad » August 1st, 2011, 7:46 am

Other feedback would be a quick email saying the story was received. Even an email saying the story is being considered and if not, maybe saying why, ie - pics aren't too great or story too short etc, i would be happy to go back and re-shoot the destination or re-write the story. I know i haven't heard anything on my last 4 -5 i have sent down..
Just honest feedback?!

prawns
Been here a while

Unread post by prawns » August 1st, 2011, 8:11 am

Being that any basic cheap $20 3megapixel camera can take A4 sized photos Im wondering how high a resolution are you guys after being that most your shots are printed half that size anyway? (a minimum megapixel size would be good or maybe clarification on what your after)

My cheap $100 video camera can do 8megapixel shots - high resolution shots arnt just the domain of DSLR's anymore? (which I guess gives us average Joes that dont want to spend over 1K on a camera a shot at getting published unless theres a different reason it has to be DSLR?)
Eagles may fly, but Prawns dont get sucked into jet engines!!

fastwrx

Unread post by fastwrx » August 2nd, 2011, 9:34 pm

Looks like we have a new travel editor, so maybe things might be different now, but I'm hearing you Kev, I stopped sending travel stories in for the same reasons.

woolgoolgaoffroad
Need to get out more

Unread post by woolgoolgaoffroad » August 2nd, 2011, 10:08 pm

Yep I do believe there is.
Shame to stop sending them in, really enjoy doing it....

Return to “Trip Planning”