View topic - Legal camping?

Legal camping?

Planning a trip and need some advice? Here's your place
Here and there

Legal camping?

Hi guys, just wondering if any of you know if there are rules about camping on 'crown land'? Is it as easy as - if there are no fences or signs saying 'private property' or 'no trespassing' it's ok?:thumb: I'm from SA and want to start taking my kids out camping more to places where you dont have to be camping right along side someone else. Thinking more along the Murray river or beaches mainly, i dont expect anyone to give away their secret spots or anything but if you could just point out maybe some of the 'unwritten' laws you more seasoned camper's stick by when seeking a camp spot - so i dont wake up to an angry farmer with a shotgun pointed at my head!:mad: Thanks guys any input would be great.

Unread postby coopers308 » May 21st, 2009, 9:37 pm

Part of the furniture

coopers308 wrote:Hi guys, just wondering if any of you know if there are rules about camping on 'crown land'? Is it as easy as - if there are no fences or signs saying 'private property' or 'no trespassing' it's ok?:thumb: I'm from SA and want to start taking my kids out camping more to places where you dont have to be camping right along side someone else. Thinking more along the Murray river or beaches mainly, i dont expect anyone to give away their secret spots or anything but if you could just point out maybe some of the 'unwritten' laws you more seasoned camper's stick by when seeking a camp spot - so i dont wake up to an angry farmer with a shotgun pointed at my head!:mad: Thanks guys any input would be great.

Weeel In WA at least the way its all worded bush camping on crown land is illegal

But in practice its not that simple

as far as Unwritten laws go then use your common sense Pretty much if there seems to be no reason not to camp there then usually its OK

Mostly these types of spots are away from main centres which will be littered with no camping signs.
I usually try and find a spot thats unlikely to see traffick such as a track off of a track type thing. Also keep your eyes open when passing through the nearest town as there might be sighns like no unautherised camping in the XXX council or shire - whatever

Unread postby davoee » May 25th, 2009, 10:50 pm

Return to Trip Planning