View topic - 4wd tracks around adelaide

4wd tracks around adelaide

Planning a trip and need some advice? Here's your place
Getting to know the place

4wd tracks around adelaide

How ya going? Im looking for some half decent 4wd tracks around the adelaide metro region.
I know of the places like Robe down south and the York peninsula and the Flinders Rangers but being a builder I have a lot of half days off work and dont fancy a 3 hour drive just to relieve my 4wding erg.
Loveday, up in the riverland, near Barmera is a great place to go and cut loose but its just a little bit to far to go for a quick squirt.
Fishing down at the Murray mouth at Goolwa beach is great fun but it lacks the sandunes of Robe.
Can someone help us out. Cheers.:truck: :drink:

Unread postby michael ciotti » February 18th, 2009, 4:07 pm

Part of the furniture

bolt cutters are your friend, SA the state of no 4wd acess!!:crazy:

Unread postby ATARI » February 18th, 2009, 5:14 pm

Hey mate i know exactly how you feel. The best place that i found that wasnt 3hrs out of Adelaide was a place called Cox Scrub . Mate its not a long track but it sure give you a fix. There is a good river crossing which is worth while after rain and there is some nice deep ruts up a fairly steep hill. If you type in Cole Crossing road in google you will find. The track is good for about half an hour play time i reckon.

Unread postby scottywhibs » February 18th, 2009, 5:24 pm

half of that is closed now too isnt it....

try morgan quarry about 1 1/2 hrs from adel
________________________www.loveday4x4adventures.com________________________
thanks to... APM Radiators.. DRW automatics..Boss Racing Diffs..Sprint Auto Parts.. Bob Jane Marion..Noarlunga refrigeration..J&S Suspension (et4wd)..Heinrich Performance Dyno..

Unread postby toy yoda » February 18th, 2009, 5:36 pm

Been here a while

Go to Saunders Gorge Sanctuary for a three to four hour drive around their scenic tracks. It's a mini Flinders Ranges with some great views and offers a good experience with a difficulty rating of easy to moderate. The track down from the lookout has been seriously chopped up by people who have no idea how to drive and so has lots of challenging, rocky and slippery sections courtesy of folk not using first gear low range to descend then going too fast, braking and stuffing up a nice track. Apart from that there are some nice technical sections and good views. Track fees are around $45 or thereabouts I think. If you google their name you will find their website easily.

Apart from that there is really nothing immediately outside of metro Adelaide that is legal

Regards

RobA

Unread postby RobA » February 18th, 2009, 6:09 pm

Admin

Get the latest RAA maps of the area, and check out EVERYTHING that shows up as a dashed red line or that says 4WD only! They are all the open tracks, and while there isn't anything that is of great length, there are a lot of little bits that you can string together to make for an interesting trip. Not all of them are anything much more than dirt roads, but there are enough fire tracks & trails as well as 'dry weather only' roads around to be interesting, altho maybe not particularly challenging.

Just don't go off roading and creating your own tracks alongside these marked tracks and trails, it will almost certainly result in the track being closed down. Lots of tracks that WERE useable in the past have been shut up due to abuse by the minority who aren't really all that capable as 4WDrivers and think nothing of destroying any roadside verge in their search for 'challenging' 4wheeling, and lets face it, they really aren't demonstrating any real skills or creating anything that is REALLY challenging, thru their incompetance they are just abusing what little 4wheeling there is and getting it closed for everyone.

So if you want really challenging tracks and trails, you'll probly hafta look further afield to get a fix. Close in is all fairly tame but it is at least an opportunity to select 4WD altho not low range. There again, if you are a member of a 4WD Club, there are few properties that are open to Club members only, and often on an invitation basis only. So it CAN be worthwhile for you to join a Club, and it isn't necessarily all that expensive or hard to find a group of like minded 4Wheelers, especially when you factor in the access to local knowledge, favourite tracks, all sorts of info on mods, accessories, features etc for your vehicle, and a vast pool of knowledge on all things 4WD, as well as access to 'comprehensive' 4WDing Comprehensive Insurance thru the National 4WD Insurance Policy, Public Liability Ins, Nationally Accredited Driver Training, and a heap of other stuff besides. Check out the website - South Australian Association of Four Wheel Drive Clubs

Cheers
An Ex-Service person is someone who, at some stage in their life, thought enough about their country, how great it is, and how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for an amount of 'Up to and including my Life!'

Unread postby Peter Aawen » February 18th, 2009, 6:12 pm

Ive been to the Morgan Quary and mate, thats some of the best terrain ive seen around here. Friends of mine own a shack up there and I love going up there as much as I can but its still a little bit to far to go to expell some energy.
Saunders Gorge is great fun aswell. Ive been lucky enough to do that track in reverse (one way only, usually) and thats great but a little borring in the dry. When the day comes when its rains hard for a couple of days Ill definatly be heading up there.

Unread postby michael ciotti » February 18th, 2009, 9:58 pm

Part of the furniture

there are still spots in the hills, nothing to challenging just short tracks that can be linked up on a wet day. google maps & the ubd are your friend.

Unread postby ATARI » February 18th, 2009, 10:05 pm

Part of the furniture

coxs scrub is completely closed now rumor has it

Unread postby 4runner4 » February 18th, 2009, 11:52 pm

Been here a while

there are a couple of little spots around reynella, hackham and lonsdale, dont know how much of it is legal though, i never pass a sign when i enter :p one in lonsdale is good fun, but only short, enter off lonsdale highway in 1 of 2 spots.

Unread postby stalker » February 19th, 2009, 2:43 am

Need to get out more

stalker wrote:there are a couple of little spots around reynella, hackham and lonsdale, dont know how much of it is legal though, i never pass a sign when i enter :p one in lonsdale is good fun, but only short, enter off lonsdale highway in 1 of 2 spots.
If one of those your talking about is the old Sheidow Park quarry, thats all off limits too and has been for ages.
I hear the Onka river banks are pretty challenging :D

Seriously though SA has plenty of accessible 4wd treks just not many near Adelaide. There used to be plenty years ago but idiots and greenies have caused them to be closed off. Some of these places you aren't even allowed to walk through now and if you can its a pre made "stick to the boardwalk if you dont mind" type track....the new wave of "eco tourism"..........................boooring. They only want you to see what they want you to see.
I love terra firma - the less firma the more terra

Unread postby sudso » February 19th, 2009, 10:21 pm

Been here a while

river banks are very challenging :p yea i think the reynella one is the quarry havnt been there my self, just been told about it

Unread postby stalker » February 20th, 2009, 10:58 am

Been here a while

I think you can also go into Mt. Crawford forest, with permission of course. Not sure how much it costs and what access restrictions are. Then there's also a place called Peake (Private property) just passed Murray Bridge you can access with permission and a cost but sorry can't help you with where to go for permission to either place but worth chasing if you are interested.

Unread postby LowLux00 » February 20th, 2009, 3:40 pm

Need to get out more

I think Peter@ Aawen has the right idea. Get the maps, go exploring and make your routes for day trips.
I love terra firma - the less firma the more terra

Unread postby sudso » February 20th, 2009, 11:33 pm

Been here a while

Has anyone mentioned Bushies@Tintinara, i know its 2 hrs out, but has some interesting tracks, sand hills like Ngarkat, and is adjacent to Mt Rescue con park/Ngarkat con park.
$30 per vehicle per weekend, long drop toilets, firewood available, sand flag required*.
08 85711029 ask for Bushy.

Does anyone know of a 4wd park inside vic near wolsley?

Unread postby fixitdude74 » February 21st, 2009, 5:38 pm

Next

Return to Trip Planning