When are the Seasonal Closures for Tracks in Vic & NSW?

Planning a trip and need some advice? Here's your place
Agent 13
Need to get out more

Unread post by Agent 13 » May 6th, 2010, 11:21 pm

The original link is no good anymore... this is the new one...

Parks Victoria: Bushfire Information & Road/Track Closures & Access page
'06 GU4 4.2 Diesel, nicely tweaked and set up for the touring!

nilla60

Re: SEASONAL CLOSED TRACKS IN VICTORIA

Unread post by nilla60 » December 30th, 2010, 2:12 pm

I just got back from a trip and Powerline Road from Talbingo to (eventually) Corryong was closed. I presume due to all the recent flooding. There's a "no entry" sign at the end of the road so it wasn't possible to suss out the reason.

The government recently set a new Freedom of Information Policy that says that government information should by default be made immediately accessible. Not promoting access to information is only allowed to happen if a good reason not to do so can be *argued*. I reckon exactly the same should apply to public land and roads on public lands. Especially when previous public land is locked up in parks (hey, it's lasted OK until now with people visiting, why suddenly apply some ideological prohibition). Roads should always be open unless the governing authorities can (annually) apply for an exemption to meet operational requirements.

Agent 13
Need to get out more

Unread post by Agent 13 » December 30th, 2010, 2:57 pm

Just having chuckle as I look back at this. Her it is 12 months down the track and oh, guess what? Are there more tracks closed in the Vic hih counry? No. And has there been maintainence to ensure those damaged by fire, flood and storms have been reopened before Xmas? Yes!!

Chill pill digesting as we speak. I suggest we all try one.

cewilson
Been here a while

Unread post by cewilson » May 19th, 2011, 10:35 am

Getting away from the argument a little - there's been a few tracks closed early this year so it may be worth checking the Parks Victoria website before you plan any trips at the moment. I know that Davies Plain is closed already and it looks like a few others have been too.

Cheers
Chris

Agent 13
Need to get out more

Unread post by Agent 13 » May 19th, 2011, 9:38 pm

Yes. Bit of a worry really because while I was out recently I noticed signage on a couple of tracks saying closed from May 1st (bit confused now about which ones they were...), but those tracks are not advertised as closed on the Parks Website. This is not the norm. I thought typically the website info is pretty reliable.

Tom.shark
Been here a while

Unread post by Tom.shark » August 1st, 2011, 8:57 pm

I live in north East VIC. Try to get on the tracks as much as I can, There is a growing trend of, Putting a dozer over a track, Putting a Closed sign on it, Then let it grow over. seen this a few times, And also, The people who manage the seasonal gates, sometimes dont feel like un locking them for the summer. Sometimes its tempting to carry a set of bolt cutters...............

vfrian
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by vfrian » February 17th, 2012, 10:18 pm

I have a group of mates who have had a run in with the DSE regarding a closed track. They entered the track part way along it and did not even realise they had entered that particluar track. It turned out they were photographed by a hidden camera and their registration plates were used to identify the vehicles. DES officers then attended their homes and questioned them about the incident. Indeed the conversation became quite confrontational and there were threats of fines of $6000 per vehicle. As far as I know this has gone nowhere as the fact that there was only one gate at one end of the track meant it was not possible for the drivers to know the track was closed. I appreciate that we could all look through webistes and check closures, but this group came upon this track without realising. I know I have certainly ended up being somewhere I didn't realise / expect. So even knowing which tracks are not available is no guarantee you won't end up on the wrong track by accident.
I guess we all have a responsibility to look after the countryside and make sure we don't trash it, as I believe, the more we do trash it the more we give the politicians and "greenies" the evidence they need to convince those in "authority" their only course of action is to close more of the tracks we want to use - not a good prospect for us........

Reddahaydn
Been here a while

Unread post by Reddahaydn » March 15th, 2012, 8:55 pm

I entered a closed (not seasonally closed) road from a side track in wombat the other weekend. Didn't realize until I got to the end of the track where the sign was. Think it was closed from a landslip but I can see what some people mean, there's so many links, it would take forever to close them all to a particular track.
HDJ80
few extra bits and pieces

Andy1171e
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Andy1171e » June 4th, 2012, 3:42 pm

heading up to the high country for the long weekend around licola whats open up there atm?

macgyver dad and son
Here and there

NSW/VIC high country seasonal track closure

Unread post by macgyver dad and son » April 3rd, 2014, 7:15 pm

G'day all,
Can someone kindly advise me of the seasonal track closure dates for the NSW snowy mountains and Victorian High Country regions?

Thanks in advance

SaltHorse
Been here a while

Re: NSW/VIC high country seasonal track closure

Unread post by SaltHorse » April 3rd, 2014, 7:21 pm

I'm not sure about NSW. But the Victorian High Country track closures can be found here: http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/safety/fire,- ... -closures2

Cheers,

Salty.
1990 Suzuki Vitara 1.6
2000 Holden Jackaroo 3.0 TD viewtopic.php?f=22&t=135354
2002 Nissan Patrol ZD30 viewtopic.php?f=187&t=145261

macgyver dad and son
Here and there

Re: NSW/VIC high country seasonal track closure

Unread post by macgyver dad and son » April 3rd, 2014, 7:53 pm

Thanks for that Salty.

Anyone else know the track closure details for NSW Snowy Mountains?

Muddie Wilsons
Been here a while

Re: When are the Seasonal Closures for Tracks in Vic & NSW?

Unread post by Muddie Wilsons » April 22nd, 2014, 9:01 am

Is anyone up here playing at the moment? I'm near Porpunker (something like that) and want to get out and have a wheel around for the next few days.

Let me know if you are doing the same and would like a tag along/tourist to go wheeling.

Today I am heading south down to Blue Rag Range if I can find it.

Carolynn
Getting to know the place

Re: When are the Seasonal Closures for Tracks in Vic & NSW?

Unread post by Carolynn » August 27th, 2014, 9:29 pm

Good stuff Rich , that could be a handy piece of info..!! You should go for it! :)

Return to “Trip Planning”