When are the Seasonal Closures for Tracks in Vic & NSW?

Planning a trip and need some advice? Here's your place
GQWILLO
Here and there

Unread post by GQWILLO » March 24th, 2008, 6:42 pm

Closing of some tracks in winter, fair enough, some areas do get very wet and too much damage may occure. But given our current climate conditions its about time the managment of tracks reflected the conditions. I know from personal experience, spending alot of regular time in our High Country that durint the past years of drought more oftern than not closing tracks is not nessary.

The closing of tracks to MVO is well due for debate. Once again some are fair enough but most end up costing more to have closed. When us 4wd'ers are in the bush we keep the tracks open by clearing logs and repairing washouts, thus saving the DES many hours and $$$$$$.
If in doubt hit it harder
WILLO

SamT78
Been here a while

Unread post by SamT78 » March 31st, 2008, 1:37 am

This stuff really makes my blood boil. I'm pissed off right now just reading about all this ****! There has been times when I have wanted to take my family for a drive on the weekend, just to relax and enjoy life, and now I have to check maps/ring around to see where I can go?? What about Licola "no it's closed", what about tracks around dargo "sorry they're closed" what about the otways "no sorry, cant go there", etc, etc. All these track closure policies are made by ignorant idiots in high rise city buildings who think that Warner Bros Movie World is the real Australia and don't know what a transfer case is! It's getting to the point where it is hardly worth going for a drive now (plus the fact that diesel has hit $1.60 in some places doesn't help either)
[font=Comic Sans MS][i]"If there is any road not previously travelled, then that is the one I must take" [/i][b]Edward John Eyre, 1841[/b][/font]

Lushy
Here and there

Unread post by Lushy » October 16th, 2008, 10:17 am

NSW is worse they close the tracks to all - all year round. :(
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited CRD, 3"Lift, ARB Delux Bar and a Winch on the way.
For Sale 2003 Ducati ST2 with all the bits for Touring 11 Grand ONO.:thumb:

Gazza1
I'm new, be nice!

Closed Tracks in Victoria

Unread post by Gazza1 » August 26th, 2009, 9:23 am

Yep, hefty fines if caught but you've getting around the locked gates is next to impossible unless you have a skyhook. They are always placed so that getting around them would require a bulldozer and they have ensured that there are no tracks that allow access that are not locked!! The country is so fragile and the tracks so slippery up there in the winter why would you want to go there, we've been up there when the tracks are open and after rain we've had vehicles just slide off the track.

Gazza

Aztech
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Aztech » September 23rd, 2009, 10:14 pm

if anyone is interested I started a Facebook group a few months ago about this closing of tracks issue, now I know there are legitimate reasons for some tracks to be closed, but there are a few that get closed for no good reason, if your up for the cause join the group!
here
the only fuel I need is a sparkling ale :drink:

sudso
Need to get out more

Unread post by sudso » September 23rd, 2009, 11:16 pm

bennyy wrote:As both a CFA Firey, and a 4wder/Country Lover.... theres nothing worse then being in there fighting the fires, or conducting a back burn along a track, and then hitting a closed track cause by the time urve got the key the fires gone that much further down the track that its turned into a new fire that urve then gotta try n control....
Since when does a fence or a locked gate stop firey's when fighting a fire is a higher priority. Dont the CFA have boltcutters and sidecutters anymore?
I love terra firma - the less firma the more terra

FRLS4B
Here and there

Unread post by FRLS4B » October 25th, 2009, 7:27 pm

Gazza1 wrote:Yep, hefty fines if caught but you've getting around the locked gates is next to impossible unless you have a skyhook. They are always placed so that getting around them would require a bulldozer and they have ensured that there are no tracks that allow access that are not locked!! The country is so fragile and the tracks so slippery up there in the winter why would you want to go there, we've been up there when the tracks are open and after rain we've had vehicles just slide off the track.

Gazza

i love how you speak for the majority, the country is so fragile? what have you been smoking?? maybe there are vehicles out there with more than just all terrains on soft roaders, that love these slippery tracks and err.. dont slip off them?? i never have.. lay off the peace pipe :waycool:
its pretty pathetic that the greenies or closely related parties have closed these tracks, if they ever, god forbid, came to power, the country would go backwards and we would be in the stone age again before you know it
[b][font=Arial Black]92 Solid Axle Hilux - 3" EFS Lift Kit - 2" Body Lift - ARB Lokd and Loaded - 34" Simex Jungle Trekkers II - Safari Snorkel - ARB Bullbar & Sidesteps // Incoming : Custom Tray, Crawler Gears Suspension Lift Blocks, 3" Body Lift + much more![/font][/b]

arob0010
I'm new, be nice!

seasonal track closures

Unread post by arob0010 » May 2nd, 2010, 4:03 pm

Just a quick question.
With winter coming up how do u know wat roads are open and what closed are they just sign or gated aswell.
probly a stupid question but was just wondering to be sure i wont get in trouble

ANGRY6
Avid Poster

Unread post by ANGRY6 » May 2nd, 2010, 4:05 pm

Yeah, i never was sure about what happens if you go in anyway or its open when it isnt meant to be and you didnt know...
[size=200][url=http://img15.imageshack.us/my.php?image=4wdactionpic.jpg][font=Arial Black][color=black]60 SERIES[/color][/font][/url][/size]
[size=134][b][color=green][u]EFS 3" LIFT[/u] [/color][color=red]GME TX3420[/color][/b][/size]
[size=134][u][i][b]35" Pro Comp Mud Terrain[/b][/i][/u][/size]

cac
Need to get out more

Unread post by cac » May 2nd, 2010, 4:08 pm

LN106 Hilux Project

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82487

Agent 13
Need to get out more

Unread post by Agent 13 » May 2nd, 2010, 4:10 pm

arob0010 wrote:Just a quick question.
With winter coming up how do u know wat roads are open and what closed are they just sign or gated aswell.
probly a stupid question but was just wondering to be sure i wont get in trouble

Mate, Sale, we'll have to go for a wheel some time!

Parks Victoria: Bushfire Information & Road/Track Closures & Access page
'06 GU4 4.2 Diesel, nicely tweaked and set up for the touring!

Agent 13
Need to get out more

Unread post by Agent 13 » May 2nd, 2010, 4:11 pm

...and well said Cac... :))
'06 GU4 4.2 Diesel, nicely tweaked and set up for the touring!

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 2nd, 2010, 4:23 pm

ANGRY6 wrote:Yeah, i never was sure about what happens if you go in anyway or its open when it isnt meant to be and you didnt know...
It's your responsibility to find out before you go; and if you get sprung somewhere 'closed' when you shouldn't really be there, not knowing isn't any excuse & probly won't save you from a fairly hefty fine!

So check the website before you go, and if that's not clear, call the local ranger type, the police, or anyone it takes to confirm that where you want to go actually IS open - & keep the names and details, time, what dept, etc of who you've spoken to just in case! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

arob0010
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by arob0010 » May 2nd, 2010, 8:41 pm

Agent 13 wrote:Mate, Sale, we'll have to go for a wheel some time!

Parks Victoria: Bushfire Information & Road/Track Closures & Access page

Thanks for the link guys
I've only had my p's since december so i wasnt quiet sure where to find the information

MagpieRob
Getting to know the place

Unread post by MagpieRob » May 6th, 2010, 10:57 pm

I have had a ball crossing the tracks in the Victorian high country,Wallhala to Woods point,Dargo to Hotham, Army track Morning star track. What a thrill,it would be a shame not to be able to use them.

Return to “Trip Planning”