When are the Seasonal Closures for Tracks in Vic & NSW?

Planning a trip and need some advice? Here's your place
Alpine 4wd
Here and there

Unread post by Alpine 4wd » September 29th, 2006, 10:44 am

All the gates I have seen busted have been areas that have gates at both ends. Sometimes both gates are busted. In all my experience tracks are closed at both ends.
96 CRUISER TRAY-TURBO DIESEL, 3" EFS SUSP ALL ROUND, 2" BODY LIFT, 35" MTRs, CUSTOM TRAY, LIGHTFORCE 240s X2 and 170s X4, SNORKEL, UHF, 3" EXHAUST...

Sammyboy
Here and there

Track closures and National Parks in Victoria

Unread post by Sammyboy » October 8th, 2006, 12:31 pm

I love my 4WDing and sightseeing in places that other vehicles cant reach, I also would like to protect the environment for my great grandchildren (if i ever get any). There is a relatively new National Park in Victoria called the St Arnaud Range N.P (I own 83 acres right near it) but why???? I have driven on and off road throughout this district fior about 10 years now and (although the box ironbark forests are great) I just cant think of any attractions that will bring people from Melbourne to St Arnaud just to have a look. I also read on the Parks Vic website that they have closed a number of these tracks to the public during the winter time to protect it from the weather and other factors. What a load of crap becasue it seldom rains up there. All I can say is that there is now more policies and legislation to stop people 4WDing for no reason at all.

GQ Bear
Here and there

Unread post by GQ Bear » November 6th, 2006, 12:30 am

Jen wrote:Hi
At some time during the weekend of the 2nd/3rd September 2006,the seasonal rd closure gates on Sam's Hut Tk and Vic Range Tk in the Toolangi State Forest have been damaged. We estimate the damage at $3500. The heavy steel gates have been winched out, bent , and welds and locks have been broken. 4WD vehicles have then driven on these tracks.
The matter has been reported to Kinglake Police in relation to criminal damage.
I know that responsible 4WDrivers would be dissappointed with these actions.
If any of your members could assist with any information regarding the damage, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jen Sutherland
Forest Ranger
DSE Main Rd Toolangi
p.h 03 59629203
Hey Jen, I wonder if the gates on Sam's Hut tk weren't ripped out by 4wheeler's but infact the logger's who have absolutely decimated that entire hillside. Or is that why the gates were put in place?? So nobody could see the total destruction done there??
There\'s no I in team, but there\'s an M and an E. so follow me and i\'ll show you the way!!

HT
Been here a while

Unread post by HT » November 19th, 2006, 10:38 pm

Sammyboy wrote:I love my 4WDing and sightseeing in places that other vehicles cant reach, I also would like to protect the environment for my great grandchildren (if i ever get any). There is a relatively new National Park in Victoria called the St Arnaud Range N.P (I own 83 acres right near it) but why???? I have driven on and off road throughout this district fior about 10 years now and (although the box ironbark forests are great) I just cant think of any attractions that will bring people from Melbourne to St Arnaud just to have a look. I also read on the Parks Vic website that they have closed a number of these tracks to the public during the winter time to protect it from the weather and other factors. What a load of crap becasue it seldom rains up there. All I can say is that there is now more policies and legislation to stop people 4WDing for no reason at all.

Indeed. After driving in the "State Forests" for years, entire State Forests are being closed in the rush to proclaim more national parks. What a joke...in my area, a state forest was accessible for, well, my entire life and my father’s life before me. But now, it has been proclaimed a “National Park”, and I cannot go there anymore unless I walk. The title "National Park" is now, in my opionion, an euphuism for, "you can't come here anymore", and just about every new national park effectively locks Australians out of their own land for-ever.

On a recent and extensive holiday into the North, I was absolutely gob-smacked at how much of our country is closed. National Parks are proliferating in what seemed, to me at least, in indecent haste and as a method to exclude white faces from the country while “making work” for the locals.

I never thought I would be anti-National Parks, but increasingly, I see National Parks as an excuse to lock up our heritage for the privileged few by ideologically driven zealots.

orejap
Been here a while

Track closure & user pays

Unread post by orejap » November 20th, 2006, 6:28 pm

I suppose us Victorians are at a slight advantage when it comes to track closures. NSW has basically sent us all an example of what maybe install for us in the not to distant future. Now I do not want to get visitors to our state off side especially our northern neighbours, but what I have seen over the past twelve months I believe is interesting. The number of NSW vehicles I have spotted in the Vic High Country during this period is a sign of things to come. That is the NSW 4WD fraternity are unable to access many tracks in their own state so they are coming into Victoria & I don't blame them for that after all I still think it's a free country (at the moment) My concern however is this, tracks that are open & maintained by Parks & the DSE (department of scorched earth) will be possibly used more than normal. Mr PARKS will say to Mr BRACKS we need more funds to maintain tracks. Mr BRACKS will order tracks to be closed to cut down on expenditure. (you do not win elections by looking after 4WDrivers. We are a minority) He has already ordered cattle out of the high country because the State Govt are not making any $$$ out of that deal & if the election is not going the way he hopes (loss of some seats) the BRACKS GOVT will do a deal with the GREENS & we all know what that will entail. Maybe the answer is a user pays situation. Money raised can be used to maintain tracks to prevent closures. Why can't passes be purchased like in the Desert parks, Tassie & Fraser Island. I know we all pay taxes and therefore have a God given right to go & do basically as we please however take what's happened in NSW as a warning. The "Old days" are gone. I believe all four wheel drivers should support Four wheel drive Victoria and be united in our views & assist that body in expressing our views and opinions. Likewise through magazines like 4WD Monthly (and this forum) Mediums such as this mag & guys like Pat Cullinan & Roothy have & will go into bat for us but we must work with the authorities before it's to late. You don't know what you've got until it's gone.

bunter
Getting to know the place

Unread post by bunter » November 20th, 2006, 7:10 pm

following what is in the following web site pretty much our only chance to keep part of whats available now ..other wise the greens will hold the balance of power .in the upper house and thats the end of our hobby

http://www.reg.org.au

steveandviv
Need to get out more

Unread post by steveandviv » December 9th, 2006, 12:19 pm

Shame they didn't let us get in there. Here is an excert from the news paper. I'm sure we could have kept the tracks clear!

The army is assisting, clearing tracks with defence force bulldozers.
VicRoads has urged motorists to avoid non-essential travel to the Gippsland region all weekend and Parks Victoria urged the public to reconsider any plans to visit parks and forests in the North East and Gippsland regions.
NM Paj - 2.5 Lift - 81 Long Range tank - UHF - Rhino Rack - Dual Batteries - Hella 4000 Spotties - ARB Bar - Cargo Barrier - Custom Shelves - GPS - Snorkle - Ox TJM Winch - MT MTZ - Front ARB Locker

tna racing
Avid Poster

Unread post by tna racing » December 21st, 2006, 10:55 pm

and the cfa are trying 2 get every closed track re opend due 2 cant get into the bush when fires are on

ward_y3
Here and there

Unread post by ward_y3 » January 4th, 2007, 10:44 am

When all these track closures started (about 15 or so years ago I think), I said to many people that they will continue to close tracks until their action costs lives, ie, the poor buggers going in to fight fires will be trapped on an unmaintained track unable to run.
This latest series of fires in the high country have proved that if you don't maintain our forests either with a ton of money, or voluntary input from groups such as the 4wd fraternity, you will not stop a really large fire.
We were lucky this time, no volunteers or other fire fighters were killed by being trapped, unfortunately I still believe that that will be the only thing which may stop this 'management by exclusion' policy.

HZJ75
Here and there

Unread post by HZJ75 » April 9th, 2007, 8:54 am

From what I have heard all the tracks in the Cowleys Creek forest at Timboon in SW Victoria will be block off this season due to alot of idiot 4x4 people going in there and just destroying the tracks and making it impossible of local farmers etc to access there property's, also the timboon police have told some locals if they see/hear vehicles in there after its closed to report there number plates too them..

Apparently the same 4x4 bunch have been doing the same in the national park tracks around moonlight head off the great ocean road

Lushy
Here and there

Unread post by Lushy » June 19th, 2007, 10:02 am

If we act like a pack of dickheads we will be treated very harshly, get with a club and back them so they can get together and lobby all concerned to save the tracks and the Parks for all of us.

sapo7
Here and there

Unread post by sapo7 » July 7th, 2007, 12:17 pm

Another website I found is Nous Information Technology - 4x4 off road - victoria Location 15 - Warburton which has a list down the left hand side of areas you can click on and it gives you a list of the tracks in that area that are closed and the dates.

Tarzan
Avid Poster

Unread post by Tarzan » November 27th, 2007, 7:30 pm

Re: all the track closures in vic, & other states,
We should consider the possibility that we 4wders arn't the minority, we're just not as vocal &/or well organized as the Greenies.
I believe that my & most 4wders love of the bush goes far deeper than seeing if I can climb the sliperyest slope because its there. There's beutiful scenery, flora & fauna, fresh air & the fantastic quality time of, in my case father & son.
I wonder how many trees Ive cleared off tracks that the CFA might use.
At times I've taken trips, organized with a few of the blokes from the construction site, & we've taken a some of the kids (some of them orphans from church) that wouldn't otherwise learn to appreciate the forrest or experience the exhileration of planning a good route up a rocky track, map reading, using the radio, conversation & trying to answer the young blokes questions. It`s good wholesome bonding. I suppose I'm Just trying to say that doing stuff together, & in the confined space of a fourbie helps to establish & strengthen good relationships & after all isn't that what lifes all about. So let's see if we could somehow amp up our voice & Keep these recreational tracks open & reopen the closed ones.

bennyy
Here and there

Unread post by bennyy » December 6th, 2007, 8:26 pm

As both a CFA Firey, and a 4wder/Country Lover.... theres nothing worse then being in there fighting the fires, or conducting a back burn along a track, and then hitting a closed track cause by the time urve got the key the fires gone that much further down the track that its turned into a new fire that urve then gotta try n control.... Tarzan, any track thats available we'll use believe me..... see track - will use if theres a fire in that area... maybe reversing first albiet....but still use it if we need to....

Best way to get our voices up would be to spread the word around 4wd clubs n march on state parliament...n maybe even get some BnS goers in there as well cause they hate the greenies as much as us nearly

Does anyone know if the Tamboritha Rd out of Licola has been opened yet after the flood damage? Me and a friend are hoping to go up to howitts hut n across the wonnangatta to dargo for new years

bennyy
Here and there

Unread post by bennyy » January 10th, 2008, 9:10 pm

Pinnicles Rd was closed around new years...billy goat bluff is the only access route to the pinnicles look out/fire tower which wasnt operating when i got there on NYD
Its 5 O'Clock Somewhere

My Shed Corner
[url]http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/shed/index.php?id=2397&im=1&spec=1[/url]

Return to “Trip Planning”