When are the Seasonal Closures for Tracks in Vic & NSW?

Planning a trip and need some advice? Here's your place
HJ60
Part of the furniture

When are the Seasonal Closures for Tracks in Vic & NSW?

Unread post by HJ60 » May 14th, 2006, 10:32 am

HJ60
Part of the furniture

Re:SEASONAL CLOSED TRACKS IN VICTORIA

Unread post by HJ60 » May 31st, 2006, 12:09 pm

Thanks mods ;D ;D ;D

As far as i know if you are found on any one of these closed tracks there can be some large fines to be had with no excuses to be had.

VinVIn
Avid Poster

Unread post by VinVIn » June 1st, 2006, 6:28 pm

so if you still wanna go out for a drive, somewhere where you will have to engage 4x4, what are some good tracks to go to which are not seasonally closed?

VIC tracks :)

HJ60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by HJ60 » June 1st, 2006, 9:58 pm

[quote author=VinVin link=board=1;threadid=18491;start=0#msg299036 date=1149150509]
so if you still wanna go out for a drive, somewhere where you will have to engage 4x4, what are some good tracks to go to which are not seasonally closed?

VIC tracks :)
[/quote]

There is still a lot of good tracks in Toolangie from what i have heard and there is a few good ones at Mt Dissa and Tallarook.

But some of the medium tracks in the dry become harder tracks in the wet and they don't get closed.

But even thoe they close these tracks why not get out and trip around areas that you haven't been to find new things and places to go.

mudnut1
Been here a while

Unread post by mudnut1 » June 9th, 2006, 9:27 am

Never mind seasonal closures, have a look at what the Vic Greens are proposing is added to the current National Parks in Victoria.

The following is an extract from the Victorian Greens new forest policy.

New Reserves
New reserves on public land would include the following:
All areas of cool temperate rainforest
Goolengook and Yalmy forests added to Errinundra and Snowy National Parks with effective and substantial corridors linking existing parks and reserves in East
Gippsland from coastal to alpine Regions.

A new national park covering the Wombat forest and catchments of the Coliban, Campaspe, Lerderderg and Loddon Rivers.

The Strzelecki Ranges 'Cores and Links proposal' (on public "privately leased" land) which includes Gunya Gunya, Jack River, College Creek and Upper Merriman Creek and the link between the cores and the Tarra-Bulga National Park, and the creation of a new National Park in the Strzelecki Ranges.

Central Highlands forests - the Upper Bunyip and the transect between the Yarra Ranges and Eildon National Parks, including Federation Range, Torbreck Range, Royston Range and the Blue Range.

> · The Baw Baw Plateau and surrounds.

> · Valuable areas within the Tambo forests.

> · The Cobboboonee Forest added to the Lower Glenelg National Park in far
> South West Victoria, and the creation of threatened species habitat and
> landscape link to the Little
> Desert National Park.

> · The Wellsford Forest added to the Greater Bendigo National Park.

> · The remaining State Forest in the headwaters of the Aire River, and the
> remainder of the Aire State Forest added to the Great Otway National Park.

> Forest habitat of the following most threatened species will be protected
> with National Park status:
> · Spotted Tree Frog and Baw Baw Frog
> · Spot-tailed Quoll and Long-footed Potoroo
> · Sooty, Powerful, Masked, and Barking Owls and Red-tailed Black Cockatoo
> · Leadbeaters Possum, Yellow Bellied Glider
> · Galaxias, Orbost Spiny Crayfish and Strzelecki Burrowing Crayfish

> The status of each of these threatened species and the habitat they
> require
> to survive has been confirmed by scientific research. The effects of
> predicted climate change and
> associated species movement - through both latitude and altitude - must be
> taken into account with linking corridors maximised.

Phoenix 4WD Club footnote; This just about closes every track in Victoria
and condemns us to be a State such as NSW where natural land management is
not available due to track closures and revegetation. This system condemns
the habitat of native fauna to a fiery death or worse, the survivor starves due to the destruction of food sources.

More parks, reserves etc. A clear demonstration that they are insatiable.
We simply cannot let them gain any power in the November election or allow them to influence the policies of the major parties.

minipatrol
Been here a while

Unread post by minipatrol » June 18th, 2006, 11:56 am

hey guys, just came back from toolangi yesterday and there's tracks that are closed that aren't on the maps or on park vics web site. blowhard for one and i was talking to a couple of other guys and they were saying alot of tracks have been dozed to.!!

another one to the greenies

VinVIn
Avid Poster

Unread post by VinVIn » June 18th, 2006, 8:49 pm

Last year tho, blowhard track was seasonally closed and it wasnt on the map either.

HJ60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by HJ60 » June 19th, 2006, 12:08 pm

Well when we come across these tracks that have trees down and no singage or aren't on the maps dose that mean we can move the trees (if possible) and still use the tracks?

allan mac
Been here a while

Unread post by allan mac » June 20th, 2006, 12:26 am

[quote author=HJ60 link=board=1;threadid=18491;start=0#msg305240 date=1150682933]
Well when we come across these tracks that have trees down and no singage or aren't on the maps dose that mean we can move the trees (if possible) and still use the tracks?
[/quote]

Not a good idea Bart. Cannot use the excuse, ' no signs'. Parks/DSE are closing a number of tracks that are not necessarily listed on the 'seasonal closure' list. From reading various threads on different forums, a number of tracks have been closed prior to the Queens Birthday w/end & the onus is on the 4wder to check with the appropriate dse office/ranger prior to heading out.

Some will say I'm talking through my backside, but unfortunately for some, it is in fact true.

Jen
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Jen » September 5th, 2006, 12:24 pm

Hi
At some time during the weekend of the 2nd/3rd September 2006,the seasonal rd closure gates on Sam's Hut Tk and Vic Range Tk in the Toolangi State Forest have been damaged. We estimate the damage at $3500. The heavy steel gates have been winched out, bent , and welds and locks have been broken. 4WD vehicles have then driven on these tracks.
The matter has been reported to Kinglake Police in relation to criminal damage.
I know that responsible 4WDrivers would be dissappointed with these actions.
If any of your members could assist with any information regarding the damage, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jen Sutherland
Forest Ranger
DSE Main Rd Toolangi
p.h 03 59629203

allan mac
Been here a while

Unread post by allan mac » September 5th, 2006, 3:18 pm

Jen,

I'm sure a few guys who were up there last Sunday & who noticed some 4wders driving a closed track, (could they be the same group who wrecked the gate ???), would at least be able to give you a description of the 4wds concerned.

If I see anyone driving closed tracks and/or damaging gates, I'm going to take rego numbers/vehicle descriptions, & if possible a pic, & report it to the authorities >:(.

Harsh some will say, but if it gets the minority group of 'moron/redneck 4wders', off the tracks so the rest of us who abide by the rules & regs can continue to enjoy our hobby, I will have no hesitation in doing so.

Cheers

Jen
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Jen » September 5th, 2006, 3:57 pm

If you could provide any information on these vehicles which were seen on the closed tracks, that would be excellent.Thanks

tom_286
Part of the furniture

Unread post by tom_286 » September 13th, 2006, 6:14 pm

[quote author=Jen link=board=1;threadid=18491;start=0#msg337956 date=1157423071]
Hi
At some time during the weekend of the 2nd/3rd September 2006,the seasonal rd closure gates on Sam's Hut Tk and Vic Range Tk in the Toolangi State Forest have been damaged. We estimate the damage at $3500. The heavy steel gates have been winched out, bent , and welds and locks have been broken. 4WD vehicles have then driven on these tracks.
The matter has been reported to Kinglake Police in relation to criminal damage.
I know that responsible 4WDrivers would be dissappointed with these actions.
If any of your members could assist with any information regarding the damage, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jen Sutherland
Forest Ranger
DSE Main Rd Toolangi
p.h 03 59629203

[/quote]

I hate hearing about this sort of thing >:( Good luck in finding the selfish bastards that did it.

Alpine 4wd
Here and there

Unread post by Alpine 4wd » September 14th, 2006, 6:09 pm

Happens all the time. I have been involved in fixing and replacing these gates so many times it isnt funny.
Every time this happens more money has to be spent on fixing the activites of criminals rather than spending that money on managing the bush.

ROC.HRD
Been here a while

Unread post by ROC.HRD » September 23rd, 2006, 11:08 am

Its pretty simple ........ if there gonna close a track, cool. But close it completly. Top to bottom.
Whats happing is that they are putting gates up off the main road, cool.
But u will find that the other end of that track will be open, allowing trucks to enter, these trucks travel PAST the point of NO return. Once down the bottom, there traped.
The only way out is throw those locked gates.
I find it hard to belive the guys would winch a gate open to drive the track.
When we go out, if u come across a gate, we keep going till we find another track which is open.
I personlly think it would be a good idea for closed track to be COMPLETLY closed.
Also fellow 4x4ers if u come across people damaging the gates, take a pic and report it. These selfish and careless people are going to make things a lot worse for people that are doing the right thing. Theres enough heat on us 4x4ers, then to have a handfull of wankers making it worse.

Return to “Trip Planning”