In need of local VIC and SA wisdom !

Planning a trip and need some advice? Here's your place
Wizo4692
I'm new, be nice!

In need of local VIC and SA wisdom !

Unread post by Wizo4692 » March 29th, 2018, 5:20 pm

Hey peoples ! In need of abit of help from some local or well traveled people around the south east area of oz .
My misses and I are traveling the east coast at the moment and will shortly have a a few weeks to burn from basically Melbourne to Adelaide before it’s our turn to get on the spirit of taz

What I’m wondering is where I might be able to find some good beaches to hit along the way, especially ones we can camp on. We’re in a vw transporter 4motion , I know it’s a van, but don’t underestimate the little hermit crab , throw the Lockers on and she just keep chugging .

Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers Tom
2004 patrol zd30 still going strong
1993 range rover classic 3.9
1991 hilux sr5 2.4 resprayed in Morpheus purple
1997 Holden jackaroo 3.5

Wizo4692
I'm new, be nice!

Re: In need of local VIC and SA wisdom !

Unread post by Wizo4692 » March 29th, 2018, 5:26 pm

I should add I’m in Eden now about to head towards vic so if anyone’s in the know of unreal sports between here and Melbourne would love to know your secrets !
2004 patrol zd30 still going strong
1993 range rover classic 3.9
1991 hilux sr5 2.4 resprayed in Morpheus purple
1997 Holden jackaroo 3.5

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: In need of local VIC and SA wisdom !

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 29th, 2018, 6:15 pm

Not many beaches you can camp on between Eden & Melbourne, but check out the Cabins at Cape Conran - it's not all that far from Eden but it's very easy to spend a week or 6 there, just off the beach, in a fantastic cabin amongst the coastal scrub & local wildlife etc, in a clean & well maintained space with all the necessary conveniences.... & daily visits from some entertaining bird-life too!! :D

After that, I'd suggest that instead of driving all the way thru Melbourne & into the maze of toll-ways & free-ways, you should consider going down the Mornington side of the Peninsula & then ducking across to catch the ferry over to Queenscliffe & head on down the Great Ocean Road. Again, not many beaches to camp on until you get to & past Portland, but if you stay on the roads close to the beach from there on, you'll get ample chance see what there is available, and once you're in SA, you'll see the signs pointing you onto the beaches & eventually up the Coorong too. But (especially once you get past Mt Gambier) there are some great beaches open for camping!! Just make sure whenever you are camping on or near the beach that you set up camp to stop the winds blowing straight off the Antarctic Continent from blowing straight thru your camp & car.... they are very strong at certain times EVERY DAY, and extremely lazy ALL the time - they NEVER go around anything that they can blow down, thru, or over!! :eek:

42 Mile, Chinaman's Well, & Salt Creek all have good access to the ocean beach if the tides & weather suits; while Parnka Point & Pelican Point have access to camping on the mainland side of the Coorong - the camping facilities at Parnka Point are pretty good for un-serviced fairly remote camping, and all it takes to hit the ocean beach is usually a short swim & a 5 minute walk, but you can't drive across the Coorong there anymore, altho you can see the cocklemen's cars & 4WD's on the other side.... be aware that there IS a reason they are all rusted out - the Coorong is strongly saline these days, & so is the sand & the spray!! Beachport to Robe is pretty good beach driving for most 4By's with their tyre pressure dropped low enough, but recoveries are expensive & the waves are Southern Ocean Rollers that will pound the crap outta anything they catch - and sections of the beach & Coorong often get closed due to storm damage & wash-aways, so check conditions before hitting the beach! Lotsa great stuff to see & do, and a fair bit of pretty good 4Wheeling within cooee too!

Enjoy! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Trip Planning”