Sydney - Ayers trip assistance thanks

Planning a trip and need some advice? Here's your place
Todka
Been here a while

Sydney - Ayers trip assistance thanks

Unread post by Todka » May 16th, 2017, 11:51 pm

Hi folks. Last trip I did in 2015 to WA I got a heap of help with the planning.
I would really appreciate some tips on this one I have coming up in about a month. I have a Pajero Sports with standard fuel tank and am planning on taking a single Jerry can.

Any tips on the safety for some of these destinations? Someone told me that the Palace Hotel in Broken Hill is on street parking and cars have been broken into there. Would appreciate more opinions on that.

Pretty open to suggestions for things to do and see. We just have 3 weeks so will be rolling a fair bit, but we didn't mind that in WA so, while not ideal, we are comfortable with the ration of driving to seeing stuff instead of seeing less slowly.

Many thanks in advance!
Todd

PS. Will take 2 cameras and drones with me.
Edit : Itinerary updated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Todka on May 20th, 2017, 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Clarkey16
Been here a while

Re: Sydney - Ayers trip assistance thanks

Unread post by Clarkey16 » May 17th, 2017, 10:42 pm

If you can stretch you first day & make it to Cobar I highly recommend going to the lookout over the open cut mine at sunset, a night picture in front of the Cobar sign too.

This will give you some extra time in Broken Hill as well and you can visit the Living Desert Sculptures. Fantastic in the late afternoon with all the colours changing with the setting sun.

There is a good tourist information centre at Port Augusta and they should be able to give you the heads up about track conditions to Dalhousie Springs. The only fuel concerns I would have would be between Coober Pedy and Dalhousie Springs. I have never been to Dalhousie Springs but I would be concerned that 1 jerry won’t be enough after googling it so I would take 2. Only my opinion, you know your vehicle better than me.
Other than that fuel won’t be a problem.

The Eldo Hotel at Woomera has a decent feed, found it as I drove around Woomera thinking it was a ghost town but all the locals were hiding in there.

Tip! When you get to Erldunda servo the fuel bay closest to the highway has both normal & high flow diesel, everyone likes to queue under the awning.
The camp ground out the back is grassed & clean. The power used to go off after 10pm but they are on the grid now. It’s a pity though, when it was pitch black the stars put on the best show ever.

Kings Canyon, you will be spending a lot of time on your feet so a good pair of hiking shoes (broken in) will be worth their weight in gold.

Ayers Rock, I have never seen anything like it ever, it can’t be explained. You will know what I mean when you get there.

The Yulara Campground would have to be the lowest point of both my trips there. The shower block was um not clean (to be polite) and the camp sites are unkempt.

I have heard Curtin Springs Station is a much nicer option, it’s about an hour out of Yulara. I will be trying this option next time.

Don’t think you will need to stop overnight at Marla, you will make it to Coober Pedy quite comfortably if you leave Uluru before or around 9am.

If you could manage to make it to Rainbow Valley, about 2 hours north of Erldunda. Its definitely worth the effort.
Yes I did! Built with spanners not chop sticks!

Todka
Been here a while

Unread post by Todka » May 20th, 2017, 10:26 am

Thanks for the tips and info Clarkey. Much appreciated. We will be traveling with a friend who has a Landcruiser so might add another jerry can to his roof. :-)

Todka
Been here a while

Unread post by Todka » May 20th, 2017, 2:05 pm

I spoke to the Port Augusta tourism. They said there is fuel at Oodnadatta and also at Mt Dare (65ks North of Dalhousie), so thats about 260 dirt k's between stops. Should be OK with 1 jerry can I think. Apparently they close the roads quite a bit with minimal rain so we need to keep an eye out on closures.

Clarkey16
Been here a while

Unread post by Clarkey16 » May 21st, 2017, 4:00 pm

My only concern was that I have read trip reports that said 4 hours between Oodnatatta and Dalhousie. If its just slow going not low range then fuel won't be an issue at all.

It would be great if you could post up some details about this section of your trip once its done and dusted, most reports I've seen are a few years old now.

Cheers :truck:
Yes I did! Built with spanners not chop sticks!

Todka
Been here a while

Unread post by Todka » May 21st, 2017, 5:27 pm

Shall do. I guess theres little harm in making it 2 jerries anyway.
We have added in Rainbow valley too thanks. Great tip.

Todka
Been here a while

Unread post by Todka » May 30th, 2017, 9:20 pm

Hi. For Finke to Chambers Pillar route:
I'm undecided between going direct as marked on the map along the Ghan rail line road (I have heard there are a lot of washouts and rail spikes along the way), or heading West from Finke, up to Stuarts Well where we will be staying overnight, and back on from the North for Sunset at Chambers Pillar.
Any thoughts on the best route to take?
How bad is the puncture rick along the old Ghan line?
Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Trip Planning”