vic high country circuit

Planning a trip and need some advice? Here's your place
cruiserclint
Here and there

vic high country circuit

Unread post by cruiserclint » April 8th, 2017, 12:09 pm

i will be touring the high country in may with the family. capable 100 series cruiser, no trailer. never been there before but have been around the country and been to and lived and worked in cape york, gulf country, top end and arnhemland, kimberley, so self sufficient, remote travel is not foreign to me.

i have 1 month from home in SE QLD back to home. we have no interest in driving tracks for the sake of 4x4'ing. our 4x4 is a tool to get us to where we want to go and back. we want to enjoy winter camping in our wood stove heated tipi, spot of fishing and a deer hunt where i can. we don't want to be driving everyday. we want to camp for a few days then move on and camp a few days at the next spot. perhaps do a day trip from basecamp every now and then.

we will briefly visit friends near sydney then head down to jindabyne. we intend to get to vic and back in quick time to maximise time in the high country.
here's my tentative plans-

jindabyne to tom groggin - tom groggin to omeo via davies plain/mac's creek/misery rd tracks - omeo to dargo via birregun rd- dargo to wonnangatta/moroka area then there to myrtleford area via abbeyards or buckland rds.

mrs wants to take kids to dubbo zoo on the way home so coming out around myrtleford might be a good exit point.

without on the ground experience this loop allows us to stock up on basic supplies in places like jindabyne, omeo and dargo without having to drive out to a major center.

any thoughts or route advice would be great. is getting out of the wonnangatta an issue in wet conditions? looks like decent elevation gains on the wombat range and tea tree track to get out of there to myrtleford.

cheers.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: vic high country circuit

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 8th, 2017, 1:09 pm

Getting IN from Tom Groggin to Davies Plains might be an issue if it's wet; same with getting in & out of Wonnangatta & possibly even across to Myrtleford. In fact, if you get substantial rain (which is not all that unlikely in May for the Hi-Country) then just driving any of the 4WD Tracks rather than sticking to the all weather roads might become impossible; & don't forget that some of the 4WD tracks may be closed early for the winter if it's wet! :purplex:

So, no matter how good your GPS or electronic aids, it will be helpful if you take along a good map of the entire area (Hema's Vic High Country or similar) so that you can see the whole region & plot an alternative route if you need to. There are interesting all-weather roads throughout the Hi-Country & until the June long weekend, even if the specific route you've outlined ends up closed in some sections, there are usually ways that you can still get to all the same places, even if you hafta go around or out onto the black top. Having a map that lets you look at the entire region in a useable scale makes doing that a lot easier. Also consider the Boiling Billy Publications 'High Country' book, it is good value for all the 4WD Tracks, trip notes, driving times, etc, & it has a heap of background info too! :thumb:

However, you have given yourself a lot of ground to cover in a very short space of time. If you want to get in to Wonnangatta & do some fishing or walking etc, that's pretty much gonna take a week! Same with Davies Plain, if you want to park for a couple of days up there then taking getting in & out into account, there's a week, so you probably won't get to do the rest!! Basically, if you aren't just driving straight thru that lot & only over-night camping where you must, I doubt you'll have time to fit in all of it!! How long are you planning on taking to get from SE QLD to Jindabyne, & then back home from wherever you come out on the other end? Your rough itinerary/schedule looks to be pretty much non-stop driving from Jindabyne to Myrtleford if you take anything more than about 5 days each way fm/to QLD. The driving in the High Country is generally a lot slower than just about anywhere else, there's even places where it might take you all day to do maybe 20km, longer if it gets wet!! :o

Maybe you should aim to go direct to Dargo from Sydney & do the Wonnangatta to Myrtleford bit only on this trip, & reschedule the rest for another trip later on? At least that way you won't be facing the need to push on every day, & I think the family will appreciate the High Country a lot more too! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

cruiserclint
Here and there

Unread post by cruiserclint » April 8th, 2017, 3:40 pm

thanks for the reply. as i said i haven't been there so it's hard to quantify travel times from the map. (i have the HEMA high country map 1:200,000)

travelling everyday is certainly not what we want to do. sounds like i might bight off less so i can chew for longer.

cheers
Last edited by cruiserclint on April 8th, 2017, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 8th, 2017, 5:28 pm

:thumb: Good idea!

The Wonangatta end is probably the most interesting for first timers to the High Country, especially if you go in (or out) via Dargo & Billy Goats Bluff & East Pinnacles Fire Tower. ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Clarkey16
Been here a while

Unread post by Clarkey16 » April 10th, 2017, 12:46 pm

I just came back from the High Country, first time for me also.
I planned my trip around this drive
http://www.4wdvictoria.org.au/iconic4wd ... ngatta.pdf
Was simply awesome!

I drove from Lithgow to Bright (Vic) then across to Dargo via the High Plains rd & spent the night camping behind the pub. The pub has cabins so if you don't want to set up camp its an easy option. Left at 8am & reached Dargo at 5:30pm only stopping for fuel & lunch. I stuck to the speed limits as my mate has only 1 point left :p If you used the Hume hwy from Sydney you should do a similar time.

This in the rout we took
Vic trip 1.JPG
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewt ... 2&t=161114

If you go out via the High Plains rd head to Albury then West Wyalong, follow the Newell Hwy to Parks (stop & see the radio telescope) and then Dubbo.

p/s
About 800m past the Pub is a place you can camp for $10 a night that has toilets & hot showers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yes I did! Built with spanners not chop sticks!

mudshark
Need to get out more

Unread post by mudshark » April 16th, 2017, 9:59 pm

Sounds like a gr8 trip, the vic high country is high on my bucket list . Safe travels
1988 FJ62 LIFTED LOCKED AND BARRED UP :) and SO SICK

cruiserclint
Here and there

Unread post by cruiserclint » April 23rd, 2017, 4:45 pm

cool, looks like a great trip had by all. what was the total trip time from dargo to dargo?

just thinking then of a revised route. jindabyne-bairnsdale via barry way, suggan buggan. bairnsdale-dargo. dargo-wonnangatta/moroka junction area-buckland road to myrtleford. myrtleford-dubbo zoo then home to SE QLD.
???

Clarkey16
Been here a while

Unread post by Clarkey16 » April 26th, 2017, 9:45 am

Left Dargo on Tuesday Morning at 8am and got back to Dargo on Thursday afternoon about 5:30pm, Bistro opens at 6 :sillywink:
Yes I did! Built with spanners not chop sticks!

Return to “Trip Planning”