Crossing The Simpson in an Outlander

Planning a trip and need some advice? Here's your place
Duke1340
Been here a while

Crossing The Simpson in an Outlander

Unread post by Duke1340 » July 30th, 2015, 10:56 am

Hi everyone,

I did a trip across the Simpson in April this year in my trusty MK and I am planning to go again this year before the season closes, but this time I have a friend who is real keen to come along with me, in his basically stock Mitsubishi Outlander.

Now I don't want to say to him, but I also don't want to spend my whole holiday pulling him out of the sand.

So I am keen to hear from anyone with an outlander or anyone who knows anything about them, so that I can make an informed decision.

Looking forward to your input.

Rod (Duke)
"Adventure Before Dementia"

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Re: Crossing The Simpson in an Outlander

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » July 30th, 2015, 3:38 pm

Did the Simmo geo centre in May, and a FL crossing in July this year, and FL is (as you are probably aware) pretty undulating from Knolls to Rig . . .

Is it the 2.2 diesel, or a petrol model ?
Either should be ok, but carrying petrol requires a little more care, and deisel should perform a little better overall on the dunes.
Ground clearance isn't too bad at 190mm, but stock all round may see it on its belly at some point.

It would probably be more feasible if you went via WAA or Rig, but they too will have their spots where you might need to give him a hand out of a situation.
Just hook up a snatch strap ready to go on the back of your rig, and rolled up in the back.

For sure I would be going west to east, as the dunes get bigger, there'll be less weight on board.

He will possibly have more issues with the corros over on the west side, if going to Mt Dare before / after, then avoid the direct route over the gibber / boulder field at all costs, go via Bloods Ck.

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » July 30th, 2015, 3:40 pm

Might be worth taking him for a run on Straddie or Bribie ?
Get the tyres down and see how he goes.

Duke1340
Been here a while

Unread post by Duke1340 » August 4th, 2015, 2:42 pm

Thanks for the reply.

West to east for sure! and a run up Straddie sounds like a good idea. I did west to east last time and it was a good run and I have all the recovery gear you could ever want so that's not a problem, Just didn't want to have to drag him over ever dune.

Cheers
Rod (Duke)
"Adventure Before Dementia"

Return to “Trip Planning”