Murray Sunset National Park with Jayco camper

Planning a trip and need some advice? Here's your place
vsc10
I'm new, be nice!

Murray Sunset National Park with Jayco camper

Unread post by vsc10 » July 10th, 2015, 7:01 pm

G'day currently in Coober Pedy on the way back to Vic. Was toying with going through the Murray Sunset Park roughly heading from Renmark through to Ouyen. Don't know the area at all. We are towing a Jayco outback camper. Are the tracks/roads through here suitable for this type of trailer? Just took it up the Oodnadatta tk, Lake Eyre nth and the Back way from Kings Canyon to Alice via Hermannsburg - all pretty easy. What do you reckon? We will be there around next Tuesday - maybe some ugly weather coming - any feedback would be much appreciated. I know high country conditions pretty well but the desert is a bit different ;) Cheers

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Murray Sunset National Park with Jayco camper

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 10th, 2015, 7:25 pm

Unless it starts raining heavily (& consistently) from now up to when you try to drive thru, you shouldn't really have too much hassle with most of the tracks out that way.... Sure, it's raining lightly now & it looks like raining lightly for the next few days, but it is reasonably light & most of the tracks thru Murray Sunset are labelled 'all weather' - altho there are a few that are clearly labelled 'Dry Weather Only'; just avoid those, they aren't nice even without a trailer when it's wet, and don't kid yourself that people won't know you've used them while they were wet (& doing that can bring some pretty hefty fines!!)

When you get closer, ask the locals! There are NP&WS & Info centres in most of the nearby towns, and there are websites for NP&WS in both Vic & SA with numbers for people who will provide pretty good & reasonably up to date info. The local rangers generally appreciate a call & are very helpful most of the time too. If it proves to be too wet when you get to the boundaries, there are enough formed roads past/around the park/s for you to go that way without having to detour too much if you can't drive thru. ;)

Enjoy the trip, & drive safe! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

vsc10
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by vsc10 » July 11th, 2015, 8:51 pm

Thanks for that we'll go for a look. :drink:

vk3aif
Been here a while

Unread post by vk3aif » July 13th, 2015, 6:52 pm

If you were to head down I think it is Taparoo Trk To the Shearers Quarters, then continue down the South Bore Trk and turn into Pheenys Trk and head East that will bring you out at Hattah and is all easy going. I Went that way to Rocket Lake after rain in April. From Rocket Lake I zig zaged a bit via an airstrip and crossed a few dry lake beds and cut bact to Mopoke Hut and from there down to via Mt Jess Trk (a few sand dunes on that one) and followed the park boundary around to Pink Lakes. It would be an easy run from there into Oyen but I headed West from there back to the Border Trk, the Rock Holes and down through the Big Desert. I camped at the Shearers Quarters, Mopoke Hut and the Stockyards near Sunset Tank while in there and hardly saw another person. Fire wood was a bit scarce at the first two spots.

vsc10
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by vsc10 » July 14th, 2015, 7:55 pm

Thanks for the info - went through there today from the shearers quarters up to rocket lake track, down mopoke track and out to the pink lakes. Was raining on an off, was some good fun sandy bits south of mopoke hut but got through without any dramas. Would probably take a sand flag if I went back that way - lots of blind crests:)

vk3aif
Been here a while

Unread post by vk3aif » July 14th, 2015, 9:48 pm

Year Mount Crozier Trk sand can be a bit soft and corrugated at times, shouldn't have been to bad if there had been a bit of recent rain. Glad to hear you had some fun in there.

Return to “Trip Planning”