Around Victoria and up Great Ocean Road!

Planning a trip and need some advice? Here's your place
SilvionIT
Getting to know the place

Around Victoria and up Great Ocean Road!

Unread post by SilvionIT » July 6th, 2015, 3:08 pm

Question for the Victorian's out there!

Planning a trip around Victoria in Sep, looking at heading east along the coast, up through Mt Kosciuszko, through to Deni Ute muster, up to Mildura, back through Grampians National Park to close to CBD to do Great Ocean Road.

Can anyone recommend some places i HAVE to see and do? 4WDriving, adventure, hikes, anything like that! Have added a list of 'The Big Stuff' like Lobster and such just for fun.
Ford Ranger 2010 XLT
Ironman 2" Lift, 33" BFGoodrich, EGR Canopy, ARB Rooftop Tent, ARB underbody protection.
Soon to come: Winch, Bullbar, Sidesteps, Dual batteries.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Around Victoria and up Great Ocean Road!

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 6th, 2015, 4:33 pm

Where are you planning on starting from?? And how long do you have for the entire trip?? Plannng on mainly bush camping or are you aiming to stop in Caravan parks etc most nights?
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Gary_M
Been here a while

Unread post by Gary_M » July 6th, 2015, 6:30 pm

Theres a heap of falls near Lorne. Been a long time, and I hear the road is less bike friendly now, but i used to ride there with mates and my mrs a number of decades ago.

Click around these links, theres an flying fox, and a sky walk of some kind too. (no idea, I dont recall any of this being there back when) http://www.lornelink.com.au/31/2/Walks_ ... falls.aspx

There used to be good shipwreck stuff further along the GOR too. Obviously all the features, whats left of the 12 Apostles, London Bridge, theres some blowholes too.

Lorne - Image

As a kid I remember the Pinnacle lookout in the Grampians too.
If you have kids, not sure if still there or not, the Fairy Tale Park at ??Anakie?? (appears it is) http://www.fairypark.com/

SilvionIT

Unread post by SilvionIT » July 7th, 2015, 9:58 am

Starting (14th of Sept) from Melbourne CBD and heading right along the coast cross just into NSW for Mt Kosciuosko, only time limited is to be at Deniliquin by the 1st. Camping will be in the Roof Top Tent anywhere (camping spots or side of the road..) preferably bush though. Will be travelling with a single vehicle but capable (2" lift, mud tires, winch, bull bar so on).

From there on, no time limits. Going around the other side of Victoria.

Thanks Gary_M, Lorne looks awesome. Just been googling some details and looks like a place to stay for a couple of nights.
No kids apart from myself (at least i like to pretend i'm a kid at the age of 23).
Ford Ranger 2010 XLT
Ironman 2" Lift, 33" BFGoodrich, EGR Canopy, ARB Rooftop Tent, ARB underbody protection.

Fenring
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Fenring » July 7th, 2015, 10:14 am

Kennet River is pretty central to a few things.

http://www.kennettriver.com/things-to-do/

Further down, Marengo Holiday Park is a great place to stay the night, with powered sites, camp sites and cabins. Right on the beach, just out of Apollo Bay. You can fish off the rocks out the front. From there you can drive then walk to Marriner's Falls for a look.

Mait's Rest rainforest walk is also a short distance away.

http://www.visitgreatoceanroad.org.au/t ... maits-rest

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » July 8th, 2015, 8:52 pm

well of course we all have different tastes but here are a few i like.

on the map youve drawn it looks like you will go along east gipsland coast. i forget where but near lakes entrance there is a 100 y.o. timber train bridge that is absolutly massive.
walhalla baw baw area
ballarat
great ocean road is worth a look. 12 apostles is good. dont be sucked in by the name shipwreck coast though, theres nothing to see but beach.

SilvionIT

Unread post by SilvionIT » July 13th, 2015, 1:27 pm

Thanks for the links, looking good.

Definitely interested in seeing some of that timber, would be something new!
Shame about the shipwreck but i do have plans to go back with my Scuba gear and get in.

Love the looks of Kennett River, thanks Fenring!

We've updated the map a lot which a large amount of new points!
Ford Ranger 2010 XLT

Fenring
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Fenring » July 14th, 2015, 1:21 pm

I love it around Apollo Bay, though even in summer the water is cold!

The Otway Fly is worth visiting also.

http://www.otwayfly.com

Damoandems2
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Damoandems2 » July 14th, 2015, 5:41 pm

Seeing as your going as far as Mildura I would suggest going that extra hour and a bit to Broken Hill. Depending on what your in to. There is plenty to see up there and is definitely an eye opener. Maybe if you chose to go to broken hill you could head down towards Adelaide and then to mount gambier and back to the great ocean road back towards Melbourne. Just a thought.

Gary_M
Been here a while

Unread post by Gary_M » July 14th, 2015, 9:18 pm

Damoandems2 wrote:Seeing as your going as far as Mildura I would suggest going that extra hour and a bit to Broken Hill....
Hour and a bit?, thats a substantial 'bit'..

Damoandems2
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Damoandems2 » July 15th, 2015, 10:19 am

Sorry I stand corrected. It's been 3-4 years since I did that trip. It is closer to 3 hours. But well worth the drive.

SilvionIT

Unread post by SilvionIT » August 3rd, 2015, 4:35 pm

Sorry to the delay in responding! I didn't get any notifications about them.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think broken hill will wait till another trip, but have definitely marked it on our map of where to go. That way we can camp up there for a week or two and soak it all in!

Apollo Bay is marked! Along with the Otway Fly too!!
Ford Ranger 2010 XLT

Return to “Trip Planning”