4 day trip to tassie. Itinerary ideas?

Planning a trip and need some advice? Here's your place
Damoandems2
I'm new, be nice!

4 day trip to tassie. Itinerary ideas?

Unread post by Damoandems2 » June 28th, 2015, 8:51 pm

G'day. My partner and I and another couple are going for a quick trip to tassie in August. We are taking our GU patrol Utes and are looking for some ideas on places to see. We want to do a bit of 4 wheel driving as well as tour to see as much as possible.
Any ideas would be awesome. Cheers.

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Re: 4 day trip to tassie. Itinerary ideas?

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » June 30th, 2015, 6:47 pm

4 days !!
Bloody shame as it's hardly time to do any of it far, as all you'd be doing is driving.

Take it you are getting the ferry to Devo ??
If so, I would pick a top corner, east or west, and just stay within that area, time to relax and enjoy it.

The drive to the NW corner is nice, and once you get out there probably more full on 4WDn if you head into the more remote areas . . . the other way to the NE Bay of Fires etc, more easier touring, relaxing, and very picturesque.

Maybe you could jump of the boat and head down by Mt Roland, see Mole Ck, then head to NE corner around St Helens, BOF, and back around the north coast as close as possible back to Devo.

Gary_M
Been here a while

Unread post by Gary_M » July 1st, 2015, 12:54 am

Subscribed. My mrs and I plan to head down to Tassie and spend about 3 months there. Looking to rent somewhere cheap and remotish to use as a base to travel from and store tools etc.

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » July 1st, 2015, 9:15 am

Yep, pick a spot in an area as suggested, settle into that as a bit of a base camp and branch out from there - there will be lots to see and do within 1 hr - It only takes a few hours to travel one side of the island to the other anyway if you rush.

DON'T try to see too much too fast........... you will only spoil it .

Use it as the first trip of many that you will plan to do because the place really does deserve to be enjoyed not just driven past.

On the way over go to the book shiop on the boat and pick up the "Tas 4WD trips book" and the NPS pamphlets
http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=7542

Cheers
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Damoandems2
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Damoandems2 » July 5th, 2015, 10:05 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the ideas. My mate and I would rather stay in the bush and just 4wd for the 4 days but the girls want to spend a Saturday night in Hobart. We get off the boat in Devonport at 6:00 Friday morning. I was thinking about camping somewhere near cradle mountain or somewhere like that on the Friday night then head to Hobart for the Saturday then maybe tour and 4wd up the east coast Sunday and Monday? I'm beginning to think that might be a bit ambitious. It will be our first trip but definitely not our last.

SilvionIT
Getting to know the place

Unread post by SilvionIT » July 6th, 2015, 3:00 pm

Hey mate,

You're going to find it really cold around Cradle Mountain area camping. Plus there is very few spots, i camped on the side of the road for example. Very limited.

If you want 4WDriving while you can, best go up the West coast (after you come down from Hobart). It's a long drive, but you can look at Arthur Pieman's and Montezuma Falls.

For nice scenery got he East Coast, beautiful beaches and few short walks which are nice. Wine Glass Bay, Orford, just a nice drive in general.
Ford Ranger 2010 XLT
Ironman 2" Lift, 33" BFGoodrich, EGR Canopy, ARB Rooftop Tent, ARB underbody protection.
Soon to come: Winch, Bullbar, Sidesteps, Dual batteries.

Damoandems2
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Damoandems2 » July 14th, 2015, 5:25 pm

Ok cool. That sounds like an excellent plan. Is there anywhere you would suggest to camp or see Friday/Friday night?

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » July 14th, 2015, 5:54 pm

Great Lake!

You have to get up into the central western tiers - the high country - rent a 'cabin' in Miena - the pub there with the big stone fireplace is awesome. In August you could well see snow!. The 'huts' around there are fishermen's shacks, on 99 hydro lease land, - so not too expensive to rent as a base to travel out from.

Trout fishing in the lake is to die for.

Just a really picturesque place to see... course t can be bloody freezing cold - it snowed there in Dec on one of my visits.

There's just too much to see in Tassie - it's only a couple hours top to bottom by road BUT, its not like the mainland, lots of little goat track roads with cliff side drop offs of hundreds of feet and you DON'T want to drop off the side of the road and you WILL meet "black ice" on those high country roads at some point probably when you least expect it like tight hairpin bends etc.

There are people who've crashed off those steep roads and never been found!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBBtKbfJFHg

Tassie is NOT a place to underestimate!

People are wonderful tho... unless your a main lander & or a poacher.. :lol:

Return to “Trip Planning”