Any advice on trip planning - Sydney-Melbourne off road?

Planning a trip and need some advice? Here's your place
mica36
I'm new, be nice!

Any advice on trip planning - Sydney-Melbourne off road?

Unread post by mica36 » December 27th, 2013, 8:34 pm

G’days Guys,

My name is Michael, I ‘m a French guy who is recently arrived in Australia
I fond of off-road challenge, winch trophy and rock-crawling :truck:
I ‘m very excited to discover the off road activities in Australia :frog:
I ‘m currently living in Sydney and I will be very interested to rent a 4X4 to travel from Sydney to Melbourne by off-road track and some road along the south Coast
Could you give me some advice regarding the best road book for traveling from Sydney to Melbourne

Thank you very much for your help

Regards

Michael

nilla60

Re: Any advice on trip planning - Sydney-Melbourne off road?

Unread post by nilla60 » January 31st, 2014, 9:55 pm

I'd probably look at the Hema map for the Victorian High Country. It's got all the key tracks well marked out. I found the equivalent map for NSW to be not as good. If you pick your tracks you can travel a lot of the distance between NSW ans Vic on dirt tracks. You can also do some fun drives along the coast out that way.

I suspect a lot of rental places might not kit you out with recovery gear, just a bare vehicle.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Any advice on trip planning - Sydney-Melbourne off road?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 1st, 2014, 4:40 am

The Boiling Billy Publications Books are a pretty good collection for this sort of thing mica, altho you might need a couple or three to cover the whole trip. Check them out, they generally have a good collection of tracks that will let you string together a route to take you where you want to go, but they also have a lot of local info and history info too, well worth the cost, which isn't all that unreasonable! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Trip Planning”