View topic - Birdsville to Oodnadatta via Birdsville track

Birdsville to Oodnadatta via Birdsville track

Planning a trip and need some advice? Here's your place
I'm new, be nice!

Birdsville to Oodnadatta via Birdsville track

We're a couple of grey nomads looking to do this trip late May but have been advised not to take a camper trailer/van just use a tent. This person said it was safer just to use tents as dragging a trailer over sand dunes isn't too easy. What do you think? Any advice?
Cheers lucko
Lucko

Unread postby lucko » January 6th, 2013, 3:42 pm

Part of the furniture

Re: Birdsville to Oodnadatta via Birdsville track

I didn't think there where many dunes on the Birdsville track. Explore OZ has some tips. I'm keen to hear from some experienced trekers too.

http://www.exploroz.com/SA/SA_Deserts/B ... Roads.aspx

http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/Deser ... Track.aspx
Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain http://www.swat4x4.com/

Unread postby monkeybucket » January 6th, 2013, 4:02 pm

Admin

Going from Birdsville via the Birdsville Track down to Maree then up the Oodnadatta Track to Oodnadatta is pretty much major road driving these days! Sure, there's gonna be some sandy patches, lots of gibber, it'll be hotter than what you'd probably normally drive in, and it's all dirt; but it's pretty well maintained and apart from the odd creek crossing wash-out or ruts from the last rain. So if make sure your trailer is up to speed and you slow a little from normal hwy speeds, drop your tyre pressures from normal hwy pressures, and basically drive according to the conditions thenyou shouldn't have any major issues. Don't forget to drop your trailer tyre pressures too, and just don't push to make up time/get there quicker, that generally doesn't pay off out that way! Take your time, stop every couple of hours for a break for you and the vehicle, check out the bearings, tyres etc at each stop as well as the scenery and the historic sites (there's a fair few out that way if you look!) then you'll probably enjoy it a lot more than doing it all in 24 hours and you probably won't break anything either!

Not saying this bloke was going particularly hard, but his tyre pressures were higher than I would've run them and he was pressing on to make the next stop in time for tea - he didn't save any time tho, the pics show what resulted, and he was lucky it wasn't worse. He did do a fantastic job doing what he could with what he had in order to sort things, but he didn't really have the right gear on hand - it's bleedin hard replacing a wheel bearing and spring shackles when you don't have the right bits on hand and you can't even lift the trailer axle off the ground anyway, so you need to do it all in a hole you've just dug in the roadway, but he was lucky someone who did have the right gear came along & lent a hand!

Just make sure you are well prepared, take your time, drop your tyre pressures inc the trailer tyres, and drop your speed! It can be a fantastic drive if you do!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An Ex-Service person is someone who, at some stage in their life, thought enough about their country, how great it is, and how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for an amount of 'Up to and including my Life!'

Unread postby Peter Aawen » January 6th, 2013, 8:14 pm

Part of the furniture

Cheers Peter...Looking to go from Ayers rock down the Oodnadatta track, around the lakes, then back up to Birdville later this year.

:truck: :truck: :truck:
Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain http://www.swat4x4.com/

Unread postby monkeybucket » January 6th, 2013, 10:29 pm

I'm new, be nice!

Thanks Peter & monkey bucket. If the track is that good we should be right then as we're planning to take a few days to enjoy the country & sights. I thought we had to go over sand dunes to get to Maree & Oodnadatta & we've been told that if you're towing & you don't get over the dune first go & have to reverse it's easy to jacknife the trailer???? Are there many sand dunes on this track?
Cheers lucko
Lucko

Unread postby lucko » January 8th, 2013, 10:37 pm

Admin

Lucko, there are no real dunes on the Birdsville or the Oodnadatta track, the road is basically a clay/dirt road with billions of gibbers poking thru the topping but with standard city road type slopes & inclines, corners, drains etc all the way apart from a few dips, ruts, fords, & water crossings! The days of sand dunes on the main Tracks are long past!

What you say about the trailer on dunes is quite true and very easy, but you won't see any of them on the main Tracks, altho if you decide to go out as far as Big Red on the Simpson track you will definitely find some! :D
An Ex-Service person is someone who, at some stage in their life, thought enough about their country, how great it is, and how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for an amount of 'Up to and including my Life!'

Unread postby Peter Aawen » January 8th, 2013, 11:16 pm

Return to Trip Planning