April 2013 around aus trip in the planning

Planning a trip and need some advice? Here's your place
TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Re: April 2013 around aus trip in the planning

Unread post by TLC60S » September 30th, 2014, 12:47 am

Hi emjan
Hope Wayne finds some gold at Milparinka to pay for the tyre.

Cheers TLC60S

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » October 2nd, 2014, 8:29 pm

tyre/s, we had yo buy a couple of 2nd hand ones from Broken Hill and Tibooburra to keep us going. Also found issues with drive ttsin.....wouldnt go into 4wd, power steering squeal, no air con, and issues wih the Ark Pack not charging up to power the fridge, so decided to detour thru Noccundra, Eromanga, Longreach, spending tonight at Winton while getting the electricals sorted. Heading to Tobermorey tomorrow and with the long drive ahead down the Plenty Hwy can't see me being back in time for work on Mon. Ph reception has been pretty erratic and tried to use the Sat ph to txt work but it came up with no network, contact service provider, who is at the Melb Leisurefest promoting his product. One very disgruntled customer here, esp as I still have credit for another 3 months.
Will fill you in on the Donohue/Plenty Hwy journey on return to Alice
Born again 4WD-er. 08 Navara D40 spain

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » October 6th, 2014, 11:05 pm

We arrived back in Alice yesterday after a pretty torrid trip home which took us about 12 days travelling around 600kms per day. The Donohue wasn't too bad with alternating lengths of bitumen & dirt, but when we hit the Plenty Hwy we didn't know what hit us! It has to be the worst dirt road I have ever driven on & find it appalling that NT infrastructure hasn't done a thing to reduce the impact of driving over it, all 420kms of bulldust & severe corrugations, we fuelled up at Tobermorey & Jervois stations. In between we had another puncture, this time on an almost new Wrangler AT on the camper trailer. We couldn't believe that the CT jack was a stupid scissor jack (like the Nissen one) which wouldn't jack up once there was any weight or resistance on it. The new bottle jack wouldn't fit under axle but then a couple of good samaritans pulled up, one with a bottle jack that would fit, the other with a malfunctioning high lift jack but we eventually got the tyre changed & got on our way again. We camped after the harrowing drive just off where the bitumen began past Hart's Range, any of the tracks lead to some terrific areas for camping with plenty of firewood. In the morning Wayne did the usual checks & we began the drive back to Alice. An orange engine system warning light came on, checked under the bonnet & a sensor had a detached wire, well we hope that was what the issue is going to be. About 85 kms from Alice just before the Stuart Hwy there was a thud, not another flat tyre I groaned, Nope said Wayne, NO tyre. The wheel had literally fallen off the cart, sheared off all the studs, eventually found the wheel lodged in a tree over the road & about 3 of the missing studs. Got to use the sat ph to contact the Outback Vehicle Recovery truck, which took about 3 hrs. In the meantime it was like Party on Plenty, so many people stopped to see if we were ok, including a road train which would've hauled the CT into town if we hadn't already contacted OVR. I said to Wayne we should've handed out stubbies & savories to all the "guests"! It was reassuring that people both locals & travellers stopped to make sure we had enough water & were ok. That was the positive. Back on the road after the CT was on the back of the recovery truck we had a slow drive with little acceleration into Alice. Contacted a mechanic today who thinks it might be some bad fuel, even though we bled the fuel filter. Hopefully a systems check on Wed will not show anything too problematic. Sorting out the insurance & repairs before heading back to work tomorrow. So where are we living while our "snail shell home" is out of service? We found pet friendly Alice on Todd could put us up for a few days, trouble is, I could get used to living in 4 walls again :/ The next issue we have to address is jacks. Even though a high lift jack is not always ideal or safe it would've made the whole tyre changing routine much easier, we'd also be interested in checking out an exhaust jack. Does anyone else have any experience with the latter?

Pretty much glad the trip is over, don't even want to think of doing one again for a lonnnng time. It was great meeting so many interesting & hospitable people but we're pretty much glad to be back on Alice soil again

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » October 7th, 2014, 7:18 am

Sounds like an event driving back :/
At least you sound like you're 'home' now and hope the vehicle systems check out ok or are at least a cheap fix.

The insurance covered the recovery and repairs ?

Jacks. The exhaust ones can be as unstable as the hi-lifts, but with the trailer hooked up using either on the trailer would be pretty stable as the car is there to keep it all steady / steadier.
Might work the other way if you have to lift the car too, but the exhaust bag jacks all come with a warning NOT to use for wheel changes.

I feel if you go way out to a side as far as possible, you have less risk of lifting weight off the other side and making the whole thing unstable, same with a hi-lift, try and jack at a lifting point to a side extremity.

Both are great for jacking up and clearing / packing under wheels / tyres, but I would go bottle jack (or good scissor for the trailer) for wheel changes.
Anything other than flat ground with exhaust bag or hi-lift, needs double / triple care.

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » October 7th, 2014, 7:18 pm

Good advice on the jacks. We have to look at all the info re jacks. Trouble with bottle jacks is they are sometimes too tall to get under the axle then don't lift the tyre sufficiently for it to be removed. We had this experience with our bottle jack & had to dig out a hole to get it under the axle. The issue with using jacks like a high lift is it can only be used where it can adequately support the vehicle, ie, bullbar or kaymar bar, otherwise it'll just crush the sills. We've got 2 "good" scissors that just can't do the job.

Another influence is that on the side of the road there usually will be a camber either way & variable surfaces which we have to consider. So at this point we still are unsure of which one to get but we'll keep investigating options til we find something suitable, but in the meantime keep or trips strictly to town

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 8th, 2014, 12:23 am

Hi emjan
You definitely turned your return trip into an adventure. In times to come you will look back on it as just part of travelling the outback.
I have never felt comfortable using my highlift jack with the camper even with the the car attached . With my 60 I always carried an after market bottle jack & now I use the standard 100 series bottle jack but with both I only use it with a 4ml thick 400ml x 380ml checker plate aluminium which I store on the bottom of the drawer system under the tools. If you want to use a high lift jack have something welded in place on both sides of the camper to locate the jack cause when you start jacking up the van the angle makes the jack want to slip out or the top of the jack damage the camper. I have found the standard Toyota jack the best cause it has a long 3 peice handle so you are not under the vehicle . Before jacking I throw the spare under the axle incase something goes amiss.

Cheers TLC60S

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » October 8th, 2014, 2:01 pm

Great info & I totally agree with you re a high lift jack. I had a look on ebay last night at some of the jacks on sale there & found some goodies: a bottle jack that connects to the air compressor, a small trolley jack with biggish wheels & lever, & a standard 227mm bottle jack with lever. I also thought about getting a couple of support footings/rests which don't take up much room that would be an awesome addition to supporting either vehicle having a tyre change. Anything's gotta be easier than what we went through, but hopefully other people reading this post who haven't tried their jacks before a big trip go & do so when they've got pretty much a full load....& on dirt! Learn from what we've been through! And I would personally put all this equipment in a bag & have it accessible on the roof rack to be grabbed when needed.

I've thought of this trip like childbirth. The first few weeks after the event the memory of the pain is pretty overwhelming but over time wanes to a nostalgic sigh! LOL!! Even though I said never again, I have begun thinking...hmmm...next time....

It seems the detached lead on the Nav was the cause of our woes re the turbo so hopefully a repair to that will have the old girl up & running again. Am seriously thinking about a prefuel filter if we can find any room under the already chokkas bonnet/engine bay. Been told that up here & throughout the outback most fuel has some degree of contamination.

Re the ruptured tyre: Cooper Tyres want it returned for assessment but local guys said they wouldn't bother but will give us 40% off our next purchase. I didn't really want Coopers again, we were looking at Toyo's & Goodrich, but it's not a bad offer & seeing we already have 2 almost new Cooper tyres on the front it makes sense.

The camper should be ready this arvo/tomorrow morning for pick up & I'm looking forward to getting our snail shell back again.

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » October 9th, 2014, 6:14 am

Heard on the news last night that there $40mill has been allocated by the fed govt for the Outback Highway to go from Cairns to Perth. I did a search and found it goes through Winton, takes in the Plenty Highway, through to Alice and eventually out the Gunbarrel. What a great thing that will be when built! And about time too! But no doubt it will take years to complete

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » October 9th, 2014, 11:49 am

All we need then is one from Melbourne to Broome, and one from Brissy to Carnarvon, and we're all set :)

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 13th, 2014, 11:29 pm

Hi emjan
40 million dollars on a HWY that takes about 40 hours minium to drive. do you think your going to see a big difference. Maybe a new bridge , striaghten up a few bends & replace some guard rails & that 40 million gone.
Remember your drive down the Bells Line Of Road! well between Kurrjong Heights & Bell there giong to spend 43 million dollars on upgrades to that road to do some vegetation removal to add overtaking lanes & new signage & that length of road takes no more than hour to drive.

To me it sounds like someone in goverment using the news to get a pat on the back.

Cheers TLC60S

Lux77
Avid Poster

Unread post by Lux77 » October 26th, 2014, 3:48 pm

emjan wrote:Heard on the news last night that there $40mill has been allocated by the fed govt for the Outback Highway to go from Cairns to Perth. I did a search and found it goes through Winton, takes in the Plenty Highway, through to Alice and eventually out the Gunbarrel. What a great thing that will be when built! And about time too! But no doubt it will take years to complete

40mill might fill some pot holes. Qld gov can spent 1.3 billion on a 10km bit of rd

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » November 3rd, 2014, 1:39 pm

no doubt paying the wages of all those people standing around and doing bugger all

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » November 3rd, 2014, 2:01 pm

We had the turbo sensor repaired without any issue & she's firing away pretty good now, & we've noticed a significant improvement in the fuel consumption as well, so it was probably the loose wire that caused the Nav to be so greedy during the trip.

Wayne last week put the car into 4wd, reverse & went forward a number of times. No issue there & went into low & high box pretty well doing all it should when it should. A real relief especially as we were told a repair to it was going to cost big bikkies, now we find there was nothing wrong in the first place.

It's pretty nice to be back in Alice, back in the heat. We're back at Wanngardi & have a good camping spot overlooking the Blatherskaites & the Roe River. I look at the view each day & think how lucky we are, it's just stunning.

For a few weeks I had no desire to go anywhere other than work & back home to our camping spot, but the feet have begun to itch again & I can feel a weekend trip or two coming on. I'd like to go back to Hart's Range again for some fossicking & detecting so we might do that next coolish/low 30's weekend that comes along. But no more long drives for the foreseeable future

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » November 4th, 2014, 12:03 am

Hi emjan
So where's a photo of this view your talking about over looking the Blatherskites & the Roe River.

Good to here the Nav is back in good order.

Cheers TLC60S

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » November 14th, 2014, 5:21 pm

I'll see what I can do, no longer have telstra for the laptop. Got sick of windows 8 apps chewing all the juice & losing 8 gigs after 2 weeks! Seemed to get worse after last August. Just got the phone & the pc at work now.

Return to “Trip Planning”