Brindabella to Yarrangobilly Caves ??

Planning a trip and need some advice? Here's your place
-BJ-
Part of the furniture

Brindabella to Yarrangobilly Caves ??

Unread post by -BJ- » December 5th, 2005, 12:21 pm

I plan on going to Yarrangobilly Caves on the 18th from Brindabella along the Brindabella/Long Plain rd.

I know its a long shot, but just wondering if anyone has driven this before ? If so what should I expect ?

Cheers

Benny

TCM
Here and there

Re:Brindabella to Yarrangobilly Caves ??

Unread post by TCM » December 5th, 2005, 1:01 pm

The access on the Brindabella side of Blue Water holes has been closed for a number of years (and defended by a nasty looking farmer with a shot gun (and no I'm not kidding)). However you can access that area via Broken Cart fire trail. Its been a number of years since I've been there but it used to be quite a good track - and very difficult in winter if it had snow on it.

-BJ-
Part of the furniture

Unread post by -BJ- » December 5th, 2005, 2:27 pm

Thanks for the heads up mate, I definitely dont want to get a car full of bullets :o Maybe its something I can try later when I dont have a deadline to meet.

Nig
Been here a while

Unread post by Nig » December 5th, 2005, 8:38 pm

Check out 4WDMonthly issue of December 2004 (#74) - it has that trip in it, with trip notes, distances etc. If you havent got a copy then I can do a photocopy for you

Unread post by Guest » December 6th, 2005, 9:12 am

Done that trip a few times. It can be very interesting after rain, lots of bog holes and slippery tracks. Definately not a trip to do on your own. Last time out there were 3 different snatch operations on Barnetts Road and at Dubbo Flat.

In company it is a great little weekend trip.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 7th, 2005, 9:43 pm

Yeah, but don't get caught doing it after rain now!! The parks and State Forest guys are up in arms about 4WDrivers hacking their recently regraded tracks after rain, and as a result they now (almost automatically) close those roads/tracks the moment it spits in that direction. There is a lot of trouble occurring in Canberra at the moment with one group being hauled over the coals and back again thru the courts for being caught out there within 24 hrs of rain, and I would be VERY wary of using the Broken Cart, Barnetts Road/Track route thru to Yarrangobilly if it even looks like rain right now!

I have been told from a usually reliable source that there are cameras on all the access tracks, and that once the track closures are posted in Tumut, they will be taking the strictest action against anyone using the rain-closed tracks. The other tracks, those that are now nominally closed, have had cameras on them for some time, and a number of fines have been levied. Some were argued, and the arguement lost, so the fine was increased!

Check with the local NPWS Guys and State Forest Fellas in Tumut, ring if you have to, but get the OK to go first, preferably the morning you plan to use the tracks. Make sure you get a name and an office, as well as unarguable approval for your intended route, and don't deviate! Sorry guys, but the rabid few have it all over the reasonable many! Take care out there, and do try to have fun!!

flappan
Avid Poster

Unread post by flappan » December 8th, 2005, 11:15 am

I would be almost prepared to call BS on this but ,

I know its very possible to do , and I know State Forests etc have done this before.

My problem is , There has not been one peep out of any of the Clubs down here in this matter , that I'm aware of. Surely someone would have said something.

I'm also in the Legal industry and have heard nothing . . . again , that doesn't mean a huge amount , but , it would normally cause a few rumblings.

Any chance , PM will do , of a few more details to verify this.

This has HUGE ramifications down here as that area is very popular with clubs and individuals alike.

rivi40
Been here a while

Unread post by rivi40 » December 8th, 2005, 3:50 pm

Is Long Plain Rd from Yarrangobilly to Blue WaterHoles OK or part of the RED ZONE being discussed?

We were planning a day trip down that way.

-BJ-
Part of the furniture

Unread post by -BJ- » December 8th, 2005, 4:19 pm

Peter,

I am not aware of the law saying 'no driving after it rains' Im not saying it doesnt exist but if I went for a drive and then it starts raining and on the way back I get busted...how does that work ?

Why would you be warry of using those roads ? Are they difficult ?

How can you put a camera out in the bush...do they warn you that you are approaching one ?

And why would I have to talk to anyone in Tumut ? I dont plan on going anywhere near there. I have driven the back road to tumut plenty of times and never had any problems....

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 8th, 2005, 4:51 pm

As with lots of NPWS and State Forest roads and tracks, as well as outback roads and some others around the country, many of the tracks are CLOSED WHEN WET, or SUMMER TRACK ONLY, or even DRY WEATHER ROAD ONLY. Because of the closeness to Canberra, and the popularity of the area for 4WD activity, the tracks have taken a caning, and are frequently closed immediately it starts raining. This is broadcast on the UHF radio, posted on signs along the main tracks, and published in the local rags. Yes, Long Plain road between Brindabella and Yarrangobilly is one of these roads that is subject to extraordinary scrutiny, as are all the tracks around Broken Cart and Barnetts Road.

If you get sprung driving on closed roads, you will probably pay! The cameras are just one of the tools they use to identify users of closed roads, along with helicopters and other techniques. If you are out there and it starts raining, you MIGHT get away with it, but if you are told that the track is closed due to rain and you continue, you will almost certainly pay!! I know of a number or people who have had to pay, and a number who have been warned. I believe that there are also others who have ended up doing community service with the NPWS in expiation, but I can't personally confirm that did occur!

My advice was (and still is) to check with the NPWS at Tumut, and get unequivical advice that the roads/tracks you intend to use are open, and keep a record of who you spoke to, and when. This is just what you should do when you use closed roads in the outback, enter onto Aboriginal land, or enter any National Park. Its up to you, take the advice and do with it as you will!

-BJ-
Part of the furniture

Unread post by -BJ- » December 8th, 2005, 5:09 pm

Thanks for all your info. Do you have a number for NWPS Tumut ?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 8th, 2005, 5:18 pm

Not Handy, sorry!

Ragster
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Ragster » January 16th, 2006, 8:44 pm

Went through there mid January i think....... Broken cart (off Barnett's road) is REALLY BADLY rutted and damaged - some erosion gullies prop about 4 or 5 feet deep. I assumed NPWS would close it as it was so bad. I wouldn't even consider it if it was wet. There a many downed trees - looked as though a cyclone had been through. I'd like to hear if anyone else has recently travelled this road and their thoughts
Rags.....

Nomadic Navara
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Re:Brindabella to Yarrangobilly Caves ??

Unread post by Nomadic Navara » December 10th, 2016, 4:43 pm

-BJ- wrote:And why would I have to talk to anyone in Tumut ? I dont plan on going anywhere near there. I have driven the back road to tumut plenty of times and never had any problems....
Because that area is in the area controlled by the rangers in Tumut.

Return to “Trip Planning”