coongara rock biggenden

Planning a trip and need some advice? Here's your place
fstfrd69
Here and there

coongara rock biggenden

Unread post by fstfrd69 » March 3rd, 2012, 8:48 pm

hi guys thinkin of planning a weekend away around coongara rock i have driven past the entrance road into there and cant remember if the camping is free or i have to pay for it just wondering if its worth the trip or does any one else know of any other destinations in and around that sort of area with a bit of 4wd, camping and fishing or swimming and very few people

Tojo19
Been here a while

Re: coongara rock biggenden

Unread post by Tojo19 » March 3rd, 2012, 9:44 pm

Well, theres Wongi State forest that leads down to the Maryborough water supply, you need a license to fish and I think its Barra, Bass and something else, its basic 4wdriving but if its just rained forget it, it runs along the powerlines and once you break the top soil it's very hard to get out, you can access from CHilders sid but I can't tell you where 4X4earth has the cooridnates.

Theres Pine Creek, real Landcruiser country but I think your 60 should be up for it, um, theres camping spots and a lovely waterhole, when you can find it. However, you need permits so that means driving into bundy and getting them, so I recommend only do Pine Creek if your 60 can handle the extreme country of Landcruiser Mtn Park, cuz its tough especially when wet but we have had a couple sunny days lately.

Theres Kinkuna Nat Park down Woodgate near the beach, so can expect sand, a bit rust prevention would required for the 60. if you go there, we all know stories. But there is apparently limit of 100 campsites there but you'd be lucky to see another living soul.

All of those place mentioned above are really good, popular place with us locals, and can be found on 4X4 earth with Cooridnates, Coongarra rock, I couldn't tell you as I havent been there.

Oh, and Monduran dam is not far north of Gin Gin known for its exclusive metre long Barramundi, thats just about all I can tell you about the place.

Happy 4wheelling on ya trip.
Travis

Mr. Squiggles
Avid Poster

Unread post by Mr. Squiggles » March 4th, 2012, 8:21 am

Either of you blokes been to Auburn River NP? Any info always welcome.
Life is Sexually Transmitted!

fstfrd69
Here and there

Unread post by fstfrd69 » March 4th, 2012, 5:45 pm

hey tojo19 thanks for the info on pine creek and other places umm might stick to coongara rock and mt walsh national park and let ya know bout it when i get back next weekend let every one know if its worth it or not.

mr squiggles auburn river np isnt much, basic dirt road easy in 2wd vehicle might get slippery in wet but still get through in 2wd. camping is usually good and quiet only one toilet which is long drop and a little walk from camping areas. there is no where to really 4wd in the park and to get to the falls is bit of a walk, but should be flowing this time of year. its a nice place for photograghy and hiking or just quiet weekend

fstfrd69
Here and there

Unread post by fstfrd69 » March 11th, 2012, 8:33 pm

hey guys just got back from having a look at coongara rock was pretty good got to camping area that is 5 kays off the main road it was easy two wheel track with a few creek crossing the camp site was quiet it was just the four of us plus another family further into the camping area which we barely seen or heard and it only cost $11 per vehicle per night so was pretty good typically bush camping with no facilities though and a short stroll to the creek for a swim and wash, water was clear as. the tracks are all sign posted for all to see the tracks heading to the rock and falls are pretty good for novice 4wders. its a big walk however to get the the actual rock as you have to do a lot of climbing and i smoke so we all passed on goin to have a better look. The track to the falls has been closed and is really getting over grown with lantana so got few scratches here and there but all good little bit of mud and a few hills but a nice drive all round. Cheers hope this helps people planning their next weekend camping trip in the area is also two craters that are full of water and the walk is hard but the views are beautiful at the top of the craters.

happy travels guys and girls

AGU
Been here a while

Unread post by AGU » July 6th, 2017, 8:42 pm

I intended to go to Coalstoun Lakes today, but saw a sign on the Lords Road that said Coongara Rock, so I took the left turn. I drove to the water falls first and what a drive! I took a dip at the falls whilst there and that was quite good at this time of year. I back-tracked to the road for Coongara Rock and it was just as nice there. I believe there is another entrance to the area for camping and a three hour walk to the rock. I'll eventually go there again to camp for a night or two.

Return to “Trip Planning”