Vic Highlands trip

Planning a trip and need some advice? Here's your place
theHUN
I'm new, be nice!

Vic Highlands trip

Unread post by theHUN » January 30th, 2018, 9:51 am

Hey everyone,
I just wanted to pick your brains about where might be best to go for a 4/5 day holiday in April/May this year. I live in Adelaide, my cousin lives in Melbourne, and we both really want to go to the Vic Highlands for some 4wding. I have a 2007 stock Colorado, and he has a 2015 stock Colorado 7, and we're both really new to 4wding. He has a couple of kids, and would prefer to stay in a caravan park with all the amenities, and I'd prefer to camp somewhere with no-one around, but kids take precedence this trip... If anyone has any ideas for good places to stay, and then do some easy/medium 4wding I would really appreciate it. This would be our first proper trip away to go off road, but we haven't got alot of recovery gear etc, no winch, no high lift. We have max tracks and a snatch strap, but not much more. Need to keep saving for that, so nothing too crazy, but I know the weather can be tricky especially if it rains, and the wet can make even an easy track tough. If anyone has track names so I can look it up in more detail, or anything else (i.e caravan park, sights to see) I would really appreciate it. My wife and I enjoy hiking, and we all love nature if that helps.
Thanks heaps for your help, hopefully this'll be the first of many trips away.
Marty

GUtripper
Here and there

Re: Vic Highlands trip

Unread post by GUtripper » February 6th, 2018, 7:47 am

You could look at Paradise Valley, south of Licola...
https://paradisevalley.com.au/

Good spot to camp, great for families, good 4wding around the place too

Otherwise, somewhere like Jamieson caravan park is a great base, lots of tracks thereabouts, Mt Terrible, Woods Point all to the south. That time of year you shouldnt need to worry about recovery gear, tracks should all be in good order. Plenty of sights to see.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 6th, 2018, 9:04 am

Get yourself a copy of the Boiling Billy Publications book The High Country 4WD & Camping Guide ( from www.boilingbilly.net.au or your local 4WD or Camping Gear Store) and check out the trips & tracks in there. That book holds all the info you need to find suitible tracks, camping spots, caravan parks, etc as well as info on what maps to use, GPS co-ordinates, track difficulty, distances, likely fuel use, local points of interest, the history of the area, and even how long each trip is likely to take you to drive. And there are other similar books for 4WD Touring & Camping trips close to the East Coast Capital Cities, the main Outback tracks, and more.... Pick the one that looks to cover the tracks you are most interested in & get it, study it, and plan your trip based on that info & you won't go wrong (just so long as you realise you DO STILL NEED maps &/or a GPS!) - it'll probably be the best $25-30 you can spend on a 4WD book! :thumb:

And if you want a Caravan Park to base yourself out of, you could do far worse than to check out Waterford Caravan Park or even the Dargo Pub - lots of interesting driving in the region (see that book I first mentioned! ;) ) and located centrally enough for you to pick a different direction/track each day & yet still have a meal & bed in the pub or park each night..... But seriously, if you want to go 4Wheeling on some of the best tracks, then you are going to want to get sorted for camping so you can do all those great tracks, most of which are going to take you more than just one day to drive the full length, and very few have a convenient caravan park in the middle - cos they are in the bush and AWAY from all that stuff!! You really don't need too much more gear or to spend much on camping gear unless you want to - maybe a sleeping bag each, a camp chair each, and some cooking/eating gear - the rest is really just fripperies! And your brothers kids will probably love roughing it, IF you do it properly!! :p

Mostly, just Enjoy!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

theHUN
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by theHUN » February 7th, 2018, 7:38 am

Hey guys,
Thanks heaps for your replies, I really appreciate them. Will check out your recommendations and have a look at the guide that was mentioned too.

Return to “Trip Planning”