TT question & answer with Mal Van Ysseldyk

Check in with the teams here - buildups, news, questions and answers!
Team Extreme
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Team Extreme » March 8th, 2010, 7:10 pm

brooksy wrote:Love it Rick, great pics & god damn !! I didn't think they put that much weight in the tyres. I thought about 20-25kg, good to know.

brooksy
Yeah Rick 50kg is pretty close to the mark, Pete runs about 75 in his truck and up to 100 in his buggies! 50 kg broke enough stuff until we got it sorted, like all 6 wheel studs, diff unis, cvs on the tail shafts as well as one of the tail shafts! But the increase in traction is awesome!:waycool:

brooksy

Unread post by brooksy » March 8th, 2010, 8:36 pm

That was my understanding that too much added weight causes stud & hub breakages. That's a massive amount of weight Pete has run !!

It reminds me of the old blow-up punching clown dolls you had as a kid with the sand filled base & how you could pull, push, jump & tackle it & it stayed upright :crazy:

brooksy
C44F - Custom 4x4 Fabrications
0400 443 802

dirty rock star
Here and there

Unread post by dirty rock star » March 10th, 2010, 9:40 am

Do you think teams should be limited to 1 set of tyres?
It seems a huge advantage to those with $$$ to throw around to change to bigger tyres for the mud run for additional clearance under diff.

Jackass 100
Been here a while
Location: West Stowe -Perfect one day, pissed off me tits and flexing me tractor

Unread post by Jackass 100 » March 10th, 2010, 3:27 pm

brooksy wrote:That was my understanding that too much added weight causes stud & hub breakages. That's a massive amount of weight Pete has run !!

It reminds me of the old blow-up punching clown dolls you had as a kid with the sand filled base & how you could pull, push, jump & tackle it & it stayed upright :crazy:

brooksy

I had blow up toys too................................. i liked to pull, push, jump and tackle them as well
[size=167] JACKASS SAYS[/size]
[size=200] "JUST [/size][size=200]BOOF[/size][size=200] IT"[/size]

joshy
Need to get out more

Unread post by joshy » March 10th, 2010, 3:42 pm

Team Extreme wrote:Yeah Rick 50kg is pretty close to the mark, Pete runs about 75 in his truck and up to 100 in his buggies! 50 kg broke enough stuff until we got it sorted, like all 6 wheel studs, diff unis, cvs on the tail shafts as well as one of the tail shafts! But the increase in traction is awesome!:waycool:

Do you add any weight to the rear tyres?
Sas'd Navara..
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=30224

Tow/Tourer 76 cruiser
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=133211

Built not Bought

brooksy

Unread post by brooksy » March 10th, 2010, 4:24 pm

Jackass 100 wrote:I had blow up toys too................................. i liked to pull, push, jump and tackle them as well

BAhahahahahahahaaa !!! I hope they weren't your parents toys :D

brooksy
C44F - Custom 4x4 Fabrications
0400 443 802

Team Extreme
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Team Extreme » March 10th, 2010, 8:03 pm

dirty rock star wrote:Do you think teams should be limited to 1 set of tyres?
It seems a huge advantage to those with $$$ to throw around to change to bigger tyres for the mud run for additional clearance under diff.

I think i have only scene 2 cars ever change tyres for the mud, one was Shane Davies in 2008, the other was Pete last year (there could be more but they are all i know). Shane borrowed the tyres and Pete obviously owned his, and i dont think either tyre change really helped. I personally have never changed tyres and see no need for it, unless you go from a 38 to a 44 or larger? Im sure if i saw an advatage to going to a bigger tyre and it fitted i could find someone to borrow them from. i'd bet that even if you asked a fellow competitor who had some tyres spare that fitted they would help. So with a little lateral thinking anyone can use the rules to their advantage. So no i dont think teams should be limited to one set of tyres.

Team Extreme
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Team Extreme » March 10th, 2010, 8:09 pm

joshy wrote:Do you add any weight to the rear tyres?

No i havent and i think the only person who has added weight to the rear tyres is Dave Camp? I could be wrong? I think enough weight from the whole car transfers to the back when you climb anything so i dont think its an advantage. From memory i remember someone saying that one bruce Zellars "scraper" you could almost pick up one rear wheel with your bare hands (Whilst on the car). If it was an advantage im sure they would have been running weight in the rear.

Sim79
Need to get out more

Unread post by Sim79 » March 26th, 2010, 4:13 pm

Wow interesting reading, thanks for sharing all this info and the great pics.
[url]http://www.blueribbonbrowbands.com.au/[/url]

Creepy Crawlers, Lockrite, 4.3s, Trail Ready BL, PTO, High pinion rear, Heaps of Superior gear.

Return to “Tough Dog Tuff Truck”