TT question & answer with Mal Van Ysseldyk

Check in with the teams here - buildups, news, questions and answers!
Rick
Been here a while

TT question & answer with Mal Van Ysseldyk

Unread post by Rick » February 4th, 2010, 10:45 am

Gday TT fans!

Team Extreme 4WD Magazine driver and comp veteran Mal Van Ysseldyk has kindly offered to answer some questions on the forum!
So shoot in your questions, they may be about his rig, how he does things or just about the event in general. Mal will do his best to answer your questions, so get them in!!
Rick O'Brien
Editor
Extreme 4WD

I live in constant fear of the Hamburgler.

Team Extreme
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Team Extreme » February 9th, 2010, 9:39 am

Hi all!
As Rick mentioned, we are very proud to be running under the Team Extreme 4WD Magazine banner at this year's Tuff Truck. We wanted to get behind the magazine that supports our scene!

So if anyone has any questions for us we will try our best to answer them for you.

Mal.

brooksy

Unread post by brooksy » February 9th, 2010, 7:48 pm

Welcome Mal & it is great to see a top team such as yourself & Nick & willing to help the 4wd enthusiasts with your knowledge & skill.
I hope 4wders take this oppurtunity with open hands.

brooksy
C44F - Custom 4x4 Fabrications
0400 443 802

DGR02
Been here a while

Unread post by DGR02 » February 9th, 2010, 8:16 pm

dear team extreme,
what tricks can we use to beat you for a change? (apart from sabotage)

thanks
team DGR

;)

brooksy

Unread post by brooksy » February 9th, 2010, 8:42 pm

DGR02 wrote:dear team extreme,
what tricks can we use to beat you for a change? (apart from sabotage)

thanks
team DGR

;)

Food poisoning !!!! ............................................................................................................................................................................. that isn't sabotage is it ???

brooksy
0400 443 802

Team Extreme
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Team Extreme » February 10th, 2010, 1:57 pm

Thanks for the kind words Brooksy. Its great to have a 4wdrive magazine that you can read from cover to cover, so we all have to do what we can to keep it circulating!
To DGR you blokes have way more competetion experience than me so i should be asking you for tips! :p

Team Extreme
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Team Extreme » February 11th, 2010, 11:35 am

To Brozoich,
To best answer your question il give you an insight into what we have done and are planning to do this year before tuff truck.

Since Christmas we have driving and testing almost once a week. For this years Tuff Truck we have purchased some new tyres and fitted them with weight for the event. As well as a new front diff meaning new portals, unis and steering joints to freshen up the front diff of the car for the event.

Right before the event we will go right over the car making sure all oil levels are right and all suspect bolts and rose joints are replaced, to hopefully prevent breakages during the event.

Once these trucks are built they require a fair bit of maintenance to keep going. Its not a case of build them and forget them. because when you go driving in these cars you push them and are always on what is close to breaking point to maximise the performance out of them.

dirty harry
Been here a while

Unread post by dirty harry » March 5th, 2010, 5:05 pm

dear mal
i cant wait,
who's running the 54's
is it you ?
dirty dx 80 series
fj40 v8-sold :(

brooksy

Unread post by brooksy » March 5th, 2010, 9:51 pm

Mal is a true Rockcrawler & doesn't believe in tyres above 40"

brooksy
0400 443 802

Team Extreme
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Team Extreme » March 8th, 2010, 8:15 am

Sorry, didnt get on the net over the weekend.
54s????!!!! My poor asmatic rover motor would never cope!:(
54s have a few advantages but sticky tyres have a few more!
For us this year we have gone back to 39s! With the 42s if we need them...
Not long now!:truck:

Rick
Been here a while

Unread post by Rick » March 8th, 2010, 12:40 pm

Team Extreme wrote:To Brozoich,
To best answer your question il give you an insight into what we have done and are planning to do this year before tuff truck.

Since Christmas we have driving and testing almost once a week. For this years Tuff Truck we have purchased some new tyres and fitted them with weight for the event. As well as a new front diff meaning new portals, unis and steering joints to freshen up the front diff of the car for the event.

Right before the event we will go right over the car making sure all oil levels are right and all suspect bolts and rose joints are replaced, to hopefully prevent breakages during the event.

Once these trucks are built they require a fair bit of maintenance to keep going. Its not a case of build them and forget them. because when you go driving in these cars you push them and are always on what is close to breaking point to maximise the performance out of them.
Hey gang!
For this years event we decided to follow Mal around a bit in his lead up to the event, just so we could show you some of the work that goes into the prep for this event. What Mal has done this year is no different to what he typically does in the lead up to the TTC, but the general public would never, ever realise just how much goes into a solid, successful preperation.
Here is just a snippet!

Removing the beadlock ring on the front wheels in preperation so add weight to the front tyres. Why add weight? So you can do this...

The added weight puts extra ground pressure on those front tyres, which equals a surprising amount of extra traction.

Here is Taz showing us that sportsmanship and mateship is really far more important than winning. Quite a few of the top teams often work together, just because they enjoy it.

A high-tech piece of wood is used to make the room for...

The high tech funnel! A mixture of steel shot and graphite powder is used to add the weight.

Of course the material is carefully measured to ensure that each tyre receives the same amount. From memory the boys added approx 50kg to each front wheel. Mal may be able to clarify.

Beadlocks are great... until you have to remove and refit them!

Ready to rock!!

When Mal talked about maintenance and freshening up the front diff, this is what he was talking about. Brand spanking new Unimog portal boxes! Of course these ones will need a few minor alterations before being fitted up, but that is all a part of the fun!

A couple of pics from a recent practice session. The boys will mark out courses and attack them under full comp rules and times.

During these sessions, Mal will often push the envelope, just to keep it fresh in his mind exactly where the point of no return is. How do you figure out where that point is...

By going beyond it!

Perhaps we should have made up some Extreme stickers for the underside! The bummer about this roll was that the roll cage and barwork had all just had fresh paint put on the weekend before in preperation for the show'n'shine. By the time you are reading this, it will all be as-new again!

To finish things off, check out this awesome sequence!
Too easy. The competition had better watch out, Team Extreme 4WD Magazine is looking good for this years title!!
Rick O'Brien
Editor
Extreme 4WD

I live in constant fear of the Hamburgler.

brooksy

Unread post by brooksy » March 8th, 2010, 12:50 pm

Love it Rick, great pics & god damn !! I didn't think they put that much weight in the tyres. I thought about 20-25kg, good to know.

brooksy
0400 443 802

boof
Need to get out more

Unread post by boof » March 8th, 2010, 1:49 pm

Great pics one of my favourite rigs, :thumb:
2014 FJ with a few mods

Jackass 100
Been here a while
Location: West Stowe -Perfect one day, pissed off me tits and flexing me tractor

Unread post by Jackass 100 » March 8th, 2010, 3:38 pm

boof wrote:Great pics one of my favourite rigs, :thumb:

suck suck
[size=167] JACKASS SAYS[/size]
[size=200] "JUST [/size][size=200]BOOF[/size][size=200] IT"[/size]

boof
Need to get out more

Unread post by boof » March 8th, 2010, 3:42 pm

bwahahahahahaha
2014 FJ with a few mods

Return to “Tough Dog Tuff Truck”