NCOP - building small trailers:- VSB 1 Revision 5, June 2009

Whether it's brand new and stock, or customised for your needs, show us what you tow!
fullmetaljacket
Part of the furniture

NCOP - building small trailers:- VSB 1 Revision 5, June 2009

Unread post by fullmetaljacket » November 17th, 2009, 9:07 pm

78 BJ40, 4" lift, 33's
82 HJ60, 4.5" lift, 33's
09 ML Triton GLXR, 3.5" lift, 32's

Luxrider
Getting to know the place

Axles, solid or hollow?

Unread post by Luxrider » March 23rd, 2010, 9:23 pm

Interesting that, nowhere does it say (that I could see), that a trailer must have a solid axle...
I made mine with a 60 series rear axle cut off at the ends, welded to a length of heavy wall 80NB pipe and sleeved internally.
The brakes can be either hydraulic, or as I used, cable override.
It has stronger bearings than most trailers, massive drum brakes and spares are available almost anywhere.

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » July 20th, 2010, 10:19 pm

In the past, some of the state governments banned the use of welded or plated stubaxles..

But these days they are more interested in laying responsibility.

And this is the important thing to understand.

If you are going to build a trailer, YOU are responsible for the engineering of that trailer for the life of the trailer.

If something you do breaks....it is your fault.......and you will be expected to justify both the engineering decisions and calculations and the workmanship, should the matter come to court.

OR more importantly should an insurer persue you for their costs.

NOW

on the self assessment of light trailers form, we fill in in QLD, you are required to specify the load rating of some specific components...how do you derive those figures fom a backyard welded stub axle assembly.

If you buy an axle or suspension system, the load rating and the liability for engineering the items lies with the manufacturer.

These days we live in a world where they will simply rubber stamp all sorts of things....and all is fine untill something goes wrong...then it gets very uggly and expensive.

cheers

nath151
Been here a while

Re: NCOP - building small trailers:- VSB 1 Revision 5, June

Unread post by nath151 » June 2nd, 2011, 5:05 pm

Return to “My Camper Trailer”